Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    "Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My favorite announcers are:

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)"

Me too That makes 3 of us.
    I think Doris does a good job, even though she talks too much. Jimmy Dykes is also good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    How do you two get in the mood for Walton? Any particular pre-game or in-game routine, legal or otherwise?
    To be honest, I'd gladly listen to Jordan announce an NBA game.

I'd love to hear Nicklaus announce a major PGA championship.

IMO, Walton was the greatest college basketball player and I love to hear his college basketball views.

Bill Walton is clearly a smart guy. But...

He is now in bizarro world.

Does he realize that they are playing basketball out there?

He's outstanding tonight. I'm losing it time and again.

"The only thing more meaningless than a halftime score of a college basketball game is the final score of an NBA exhibition game." - Walton

Pure genius. Easily top 2 most meaningless things in universe.

- Chillin

Elmore - new network?

Just watched Xavier-Cincinnati. Did not realize Len Elmore has moved to Fox Sports.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Been enjoying Cory Alexander's analysis during today's game. He offers up actual useful information. (Even when it's a blowout.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Been enjoying Cory Alexander's analysis during today's game. He offers up actual useful information. (Even when it's a blowout.)
    Yes, he’s better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    "Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My favorite announcers are:

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)"

Me too That makes 3 of us.
    Arnie, Chillin, and yours truly takes us up to 6.

And Mark Titus makes 7, although he's a little backhanded about it - "most announcers aren't very good, so enjoy someone who's entertaining."
    Walton is the best because he's funny

Underneath that hippy-dippy Grateful Red shtick is an old-school hoops purist when he cares to show it. I caught him doing the UCLA - Tech game in China after the little shoplifting incident, and Walton went on the most blistering rant I've ever heard from him about the stupidity of the UCLA players and the disgrace and embarrassment they caused.

I've texted the young Turks: "Professor Walton's seminar is starting; attendance mandatory."

As for preparation, I gen up a couple of Bill Walton Bingo cards and hang on for the ride. http://billwaltonbingo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Just watched Xavier-Cincinnati. Did not realize Len Elmore has moved to Fox Sports.
    And I heard earlier this week that this year's flu vaccine may not be as effective as hoped. Distressing news all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    And I heard earlier this week that this year's flu vaccine may not be as effective as hoped. Distressing
    Try some of Walton's medicine !!
    Last edited by -jk; 12-03-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

Bill Walton on fire last night doing the Utah - BYU game with Roxy Bernstein. Roxy seems like he's having more fun and does a better job keeping up with Grateful Red on his rhetorical misadventures than Dave Pasch.

Quote of the night, on overcoming his stuttering: "Learning how to speak is my greatest accomplishment and your worst nightmare."

Stayed up late on Saturday to see USC at Arizona. Walton and Pasch were grumpy and sniping at each other all night like two sisters-in-law who don't like each other (don't ask me how I know). Big Red might need a new straight man.

Fox has been pairing the legendary Gus Johnson with Jimmy Jackson. They had the Duke / St John's game, and they usually do the best Big East game during the weekend. On Saturday, they had Butler-Villanova. Jackson is truly horrible, adds absolutely nothing, and takes a long time to say it, leaving Gus less air to work. No matter how bad a ref misses a call, this almost always leads to a Jackson coaching lecture on what the player should have done differently.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Say goodbye to Mike Patrick tonight in Cameron.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-long-run-espn
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Say goodbye to Mike Patrick tonight in Cameron.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-long-run-espn
    He had been at ESPN for a very long time, and surely had his moments of greatness. But in more recent years, maybe even the last decade or so, Patrick was borderline impossible to listen to. His pairing with Len Elmore for basketball games produced some of the most error-filled broadcasts I can ever remember.

I haven't read the words "is retiring" in any of the Mike Patrick articles, so it sounds like ESPN is kicking him out the door, but with honors. I doubt he's done announcing.
    Likely one of those cost saving moves that they have been making lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    He had been at ESPN for a very long time, and surely had his moments of greatness. But in more recent years, maybe even the last decade or so, Patrick was borderline impossible to listen to. His pairing with Len Elmore for basketball games produced some of the most error-filled broadcasts I can ever remember.
    Agree about the errors. Age was not kind to him announcing-wise (his "joke" about Britney Spears in Georgia-Alabama game lives in infamy). But I always got the sense he loved his job announcing the ACC, and I seem to recall he had good historical references. I think you can tell some of the other guys do it for the paycheck and the sense of being famous. I thought Patrick just loved calling ACC hoops. I wish him well.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I haven't read the words "is retiring" in any of the Mike Patrick articles, so it sounds like ESPN is kicking him out the door, but with honors. I doubt he's done announcing.
    Likely one of those cost saving moves that they have been making lately.
    IIRC, Patrick had a stroke a few years ago, and it really affected his broadcasting. Before, he was "OK", afterwards he missed a lot of things. (Couldn't find a link confirming what I remembered, however.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    IIRC, Patrick had a stroke a few years ago, and it really affected his broadcasting. Before, he was "OK", afterwards he missed a lot of things. (Couldn't find a link confirming what I remembered, however.)
    From his bio on Wikipedia:

Since 1982, Patrick has worked for ESPN, where he is best known for his role as play-by-play announcer on the network's Sunday Night Football telecasts, with Paul Maguire and Joe Theismann from 1987–2005.[3] Patrick was briefly replaced in 2004 by Pat Summerall, while he recovered from heart bypass surgery.
    I noticed he seemed different when he returned. Maybe there was a later vascular episode.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From his bio on Wikipedia:

I noticed he seemed different when he returned. Maybe there was a later vascular episode.
    Thanks for the correction. I knew there was a health issue that clearly (to me) affected his performance.