Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 88, Michigan St 81 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

No Bagley, Trent had a poor game, and they still won. Amazing. DeLaurier was huge in the first. Carter and Duval in the second. Allen all game was amazing.

We can be very good this season.

Grayson frickin Allen!!!

Wow. We are really lucky as fans! Unbelievable performance by Grayson..

Do we even need a MOTM thread?

I’m impressed

Great game and gutty performance without Marvin.

Grayson starts his NPOY campaign.

Props to these two posts below from the pregame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    We also have the option of going zone, which I wouldn't be surpised to see early. MSU looks like a team that would struggle against a zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'd like to shine a spotlight on one of my keys to the game: turnovers. Last year, Michigan State was really bad at holding onto to the basketball. Like, really bad. They turned the ball over on 1 of every 5 possessions. That rate was the 301st worst team in the country out of 351. It was a team-wide issue. There were 8 (!) players on the team that averaged a turnover per game. Not surprisingly, this contributed to their mediocre offensive efficiency (1.033 pts per possession, #132 in the nation). It's hard to be efficient when you cough up the rock that often. The first game of the year for MSU did not seem to indicate that they have fixed this problem, either. In the opening win, MSU turned the ball over 21 times to North Florida. Every starter had at least 1 turnover with Nick Ward giving up the ball 5 times in 16 minutes.

It's a major area of concern for MSU. If Duke can get a number of quick buckets in transition, it makes the game that much easier. With the athletes on this Blue Devil team, MSU doesn't want to be giving Grayson Allen and Trevon Duval and Marvin Bagely III open lanes to the basket. That's something to look for from the first few minutes.

How has Duke done in the turnover game so far this season? Pretty good! It helps that Trevon Duval has 20 assists against a single turnover. But the team has a nearly 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio to go along with 21 steals.

Speaking of steals, another thing to notice is the play of Trevon Duval against their point guards, Cassius Winston and All-Name Team member Lourawls "TumTum" Nairns. Neither is particularly tall or blazingly fast. Duval has absurdly long arms for his size (6'3" with a 6'9"+ wingspan), which allows him to disrupt passing lanes in both man-to-man and in the zone. If he can make it difficult for MSU to swing the ball or initiative offense, the game can turn to Duke's favor.

Another player to watch will be Wendell Carter III. He's a big dude compared to his counterpart in the game, both taller (Carter is 6'10" while Ward goes 6'8") and longer (Carter has a 7'3" wingspan while Ward is at 7'2") than Nick Ward. Carter has been good at both blocking shots and generating steals from the post in his limited time on the court so far. If he can get Nick Ward to travel or deflect entry passes, it's off to the races.

On the flip side, I think keeping those two, Duval and Carter, out of foul trouble will be another key. It's hard to play aggressive defense when you're on the bench or afraid to pick up that 3rd foul in the first half. We've seen each of those two get a couple of early fouls so far this young season. Staying clear of the refs is a big area of focus from my seat.

Let's Go Duke!

Izzo is PISSED!

Did you see how fast he went through the handshake line? That is certainly not like him!

Normally, I'd vote for Duval for MOTM, but I mean, come on...Grayson Freaking Allen.

We may be okay this year.

OMG what a great game! Grayson just single handedly carried the team.

Grayson just made a statement.

When the POG thread is started, it better be Grayson and “are you kidding me?” as the choices!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Any more word on Marvin?

Marvin update?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Normally, I'd vote for Duval for MOTM, but I mean, come on...Grayson Freaking Allen.
    You and me both. Duval was incredible. Grayson was out of this world.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Da-ummmm.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Izzo is PISSED!

Did you see how fast he went through the handshake line? That is certainly not like him!
    I DVRd the game as I'm traveling. This comment really piqued my curiosity though. Any thoughts on the roots of Izzo's demeanor other than the obvious distress over losing?

Great game by Grayson!

Carter was a beast, minus the bonehead elbow. But he is for real down low.

Great minutes by Javin.

Bagley, get well soon.

will the best team in the country please stand up???
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc