Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Has there been any clarification on Billy Preston's status? Kid was in a mild accident on campus and held out of the Kansas game (and now their game on Friday). Self commented it was due to the accident, but added something about needing to understand the "financial picture" of the car involved. This kind of flew under the radar and I haven't heard anything and a quick google search yielded no updated info.
    Yeah, this was really an odd phrase, and I immediately thought "impermissible benefits" when I saw that the administration wants a clearer picture of the financials involving the car Preston was in...I could be misreading the situation, but I've yet to see any clarification from anyone on any side of this.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Yeah, this was really an odd phrase, and I immediately thought "impermissible benefits" when I saw that the administration wants a clearer picture of the financials involving the car Preston was in...I could be misreading the situation, but I've yet to see any clarification from anyone on any side of this.
    Yeah, they said it was a "compliance issue" that they're investigating, but no other details. Some reporters noted a scuffed-up car with FL plates in the student lot, but no confirmation on if it's the car in question or, if so, what the situation is. They said it's expected to be resolved shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Has there been any clarification on Billy Preston's status? Kid was in a mild accident on campus and held out of the Kansas game (and now their game on Friday). Self commented it was due to the accident, but added something about needing to understand the "financial picture" of the car involved. This kind of flew under the radar and I haven't heard anything and a quick google search yielded no updated info.
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Yeah, they said it was a "compliance issue" that they're investigating, but no other details. Some reporters noted a scuffed-up car with FL plates in the student lot, but no confirmation on if it's the car in question or, if so, what the situation is. They said it's expected to be resolved shortly.
    LAWRENCE, KS -- The NCAA compliance office at the University of Kansas cleared freshman basketball player Billy Preston to play immediately, according to a report issued today. The school was conducting an internal investigation of Preston in connection to an automobile he drove that was involved in an accident. He has yet to play for Coach Bill Self and Kansas this season.

The report provides, "The University of Kansas has reviewed the incident involving Billy Preston and determined that there was no wrongdoing. We found nothing unusual about the collision that took place on campus. In addition, we found nothing unusual about the automobile involved in the collision."

"Nothing from nothing leaves nothing," the report concluded. "For the NCAA to start an investigation, you have got to have something."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    LAWRENCE, KS -- The NCAA compliance office at the University of Kansas cleared freshman basketball player Billy Preston to play immediately, according to a report issued today. The school was conducting an internal investigation of Preston in connection to an automobile he drove that was involved in an accident. He has yet to play for Coach Bill Self and Kansas this season.

The report provides, "The University of Kansas has reviewed the incident involving Billy Preston and determined that there was no wrongdoing. We found nothing unusual about the collision that took place on campus. In addition, we found nothing unusual about the automobile involved in the collision."

"Nothing from nothing leaves nothing," the report concluded. "For the NCAA to start an investigation, you have got to have something."

Will the NCAA go round in circles?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Will the NCAA go round in circles?
    Will it fly high?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Will it fly high?
    Not since Larry has the NCAA seen a Bird up in the sky...

Vandy putting a nice class together.

This season had been relatively upset free, minus some 19 and 22 losses to unranked Creighton. Until tonight!!!! Wow, did the Pack show their stuff, upsetting #2 Zona!!! Beverly, of ex-NCAA limbo, and Freeman (ex Baylor) really played big with solid balanced production around them.
    #18 Purdue lost to UTenn, but that's a pretty mild upset.
    Derryck Thornton continues to not impress at USC, scoring 2pt on 2-2 FTs with 4 asts and 2 rebs. Not bad for a back up. I feel for the kid.

Did anybody else see the strange ending of the Tennessee-Purdue upset?

Tennessee hits two free throws with 2.0 seconds left to go up three points.

Purdue tries a Grant-Hill-to-Laettner type pass ... it's intercepted, but the Tennessee player starts celebrating, running up the court without dribbling.

On the replay, the ref raises his hand with 0.8 seconds left and when the buzzer sounds, the refs go to the monitor. The TV guys are certain that Purdue will get the ball out sidecourt with 0.8 or 0.7 seconds left. Instead, the refs decide the game is over and run off the floor.

Okay, I know you can't assess a violation based on the monitor. But if the ref wasn't calling travelling, why did he raise his arm? And if he didn't call traveling, what was the video review all about ... nothing else was in question?

Strange sequence (although Purdue would still have to get it in and hit a 3 with 0.8 seconds left).

There's nothing against the rules in running up the court; unless, of course, you do it while holding the ball in your arms. I'm assuming that's what happened? If so, that really is a strange ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Purdue tries a Grant-Hill-to-Laettner type pass ... it's intercepted, but the Tennessee player starts celebrating, running up the court without dribbling.

On the replay, the ref raises his hand with 0.8 seconds left and when the buzzer sounds, the refs go to the monitor. The TV guys are certain that Purdue will get the ball out sidecourt with 0.8 or 0.7 seconds left. Instead, the refs decide the game is over and run off the floor.

Okay, I know you can't assess a violation based on the monitor. But if the ref wasn't calling travelling, why did he raise his arm? And if he didn't call traveling, what was the video review all about ... nothing else was in question?

Strange sequence (although Purdue would still have to get it in and hit a 3 with 0.8 seconds left).
    Must have been an acc crew.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

You have to see this. Mike Brey was kind of happy after his team won the Maui Invitational last night.

no mention of the Wolfpack beating #2 Arizona last night?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    no mention of the Wolfpack beating #2 Arizona last night?
    You'll find those comments in the "This Week in the ACC" thread and a couple references in the "I'm not going to jinx it" thread.

I changed the title of this thread to indicate it is about non-ACC stuff, not just non-Duke stuff.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I changed the title of this thread to indicate it is about non-ACC stuff, not just non-Duke stuff.
    So if we're excited about UA losing, we post here.

But if it's amazement at NCSt winning it is in the ACC thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

A team lost its conference championship game and also an NCAA bid some years ago due to a similar sequence of events. The team with the 1 possession lead intercepted the ball and traveled due to celebrating. The trailing team scored on the following play and secured the championship. The player who celebrated prematurely had a Darius Washington-esque reaction... pretty hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

You just loooove to be difficult, don't you?

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Right. But during the game itself, the proper place to post would be the “don’t jinx” thread.

And since State was mistakenly shown as a 15 point favorite on TV, the ESPN typo thread would have also been appropriate if your comment was summarily snarky.

Eventually, all threads merge to a single continuum on DBR —the “Ymmm, beer” thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Right. But during the game itself, the proper place to post would be the “don’t jinx” thread.

And since State was mistakenly shown as a 15 point favorite on TV, the ESPN typo thread would have also been appropriate if your comment was summarily snarky.

Eventually, all threads merge to a single continuum on DBR —the “Ymmm, beer” thread.
    As it should be!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."