Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Carlos Santana signs with the Phillies, 3 years, $60 million. Not a bad player, and 20+ games out of 1st place will surely be better than 30+ games was.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-car...191248219.html
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Yankees resign Sabathia.

One year, 10 mil.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-year-contract

I guess this closes the door on their pursuit of Fulmer, Cole, et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yankees resign Sabathia.

One year, 10 mil.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-year-contract

I guess this closes the door on their pursuit of Fulmer, Cole, et. al.
    Locals reporting that they are still in pursuit of Cole (first). (User friendly price for CC with a “hometown” discount.)

Bucs wanted Torres. May end up with Clint Frazier in the deal.

Second and third still questions for the Bombers.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Locals reporting that they are still in pursuit of Cole (first). (User friendly price for CC with a “hometown” discount.)

Bucs wanted Torres. May end up with Clint Frazier in the deal.

Second and third still questions for the Bombers.
    As long as they keep Clint Frazier, Cole is fine with me.

But with Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Sabathia, Montgomery and maybe Green (in the rotation), I'm not sure I see the master plan here. Six-man rotation? Montgomery becomes a situational lefty in the pen? Another trade?

Chad Green is the wild card here. If he could do as a six-inning starter what he did last year as a short reliever, then the rotation becomes pretty impressive.

Dodgers get Kemp back, give up on Gonzalez.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...rlie-culberson

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Dodgers get Kemp back, give up on Gonzalez.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...rlie-culberson
    Salary dump on both sides with relatively even contract totals. Dodgers get the benefit of paying Kemp over two years instead of one, so that it might get them over the luxury tax threshold for a season.

Gonzalez and Kemp are likely to be released Monday (can't be released over a weekend in the off-season.) Kazmir and McCarthy are reasonable risks for the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Salary dump on both sides with relatively even contract totals. Dodgers get the benefit of paying Kemp over two years instead of one, so that it might get them over the luxury tax threshold for a season.

Gonzalez and Kemp are likely to be released Monday (can't be released over a weekend in the off-season.) Kazmir and McCarthy are reasonable risks for the Braves.
    Great trade for the Braves in my opinion. Allows them to shed some serious salary in 2019 while also opening a spot for Acuna. Couple of decently useful players too including a utility infielder.

Evan Longoria to San Fran, for three young players (including the Giants' #4 prospect per BA's recent rankings) and Denard Span. Longoria is 32, coming off one of his worst seasons in the majors, and signed for 5 more seasons at about $16MM per, plus a $5MM buyout for the 6th season. Pretty reasonable dollars, if not length, and he's been very durable throughout his career. Span going the other way off-sets some of the money.

Kind of a shame that a guy like him couldn't stay with them for his career (which he seemed to want to), but that's the nature of things.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ancisco-giants

Looks like my Yankees aren't done yet.

A lot of talk that New York and Pittsburgh are close to a deal that would send Gerrit Cole to the Yankees for a package built around Clint Frazier. Some hints that Josh Harrison might also go to the Yankees (he can play either 2B or 3B, where the Yanks have question marks). But if he's included, the package of prospects would have to be a LOT better than just Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

A lot of talk that New York and Pittsburgh are close to a deal that would send Gerrit Cole to the Yankees for a package built around Clint Frazier. Some hints that Josh Harrison might also go to the Yankees (he can play either 2B or 3B, where the Yanks have question marks). But if he's included, the package of prospects would have to be a LOT better than just Frazier.
    And meanwhile, my Mets continue to rock the offseason by bringing back Minaya as asst. GM to smug Sandy. Wish the Wilpons would just crawl under a rock somewhere or share a cell with their buddy Bernie.

The NY Post had an article a few days ago about how Fred resents the activity and spending by the Yankees. Tough playing small town team in NYC I guess.

The New York dailies are suggesting Frazier, Andujar and Chance Adams for Cole and Harrison. That seems a lot for a pitcher who struggled last year. Presumably the Yankees are relying on scouting analyses that suggest Cole is not on a permanent downward slide. He's still only 27.

I'd love the 2015 Cole. The 2017 Cole? Not so much.

The New York dailies are suggesting Frazier, Andujar and Chance Adams for Cole and Harrison. That seems a lot for a pitcher who struggled last year. Presumably the Yankees are relying on scouting analyses that suggest Cole is not on a permanent downward slide. He's still only 27.

I'd love the 2015 Cole. The 2017 Cole? Not so much.
    I would hate this trade for the Yankees. I’d rather see them go with the 5 starters they have in place already and make a move at the deadline if they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I would hate this trade for the Yankees. I’d rather see them go with the 5 starters they have in place already and make a move at the deadline if they need to.
    Or go for Fulmer. .

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Or go for Fulmer. .
    Supposedly the Tigers want more for Fulmer than the Pirates want for Cole.

I just have a feeling Frazier is going to be an all-star in a few years. I want it to happen in pinstripes.

Supposedly the Tigers want more for Fulmer than the Pirates want for Cole.

I just have a feeling Frazier is going to be an all-star in a few years. I want it to happen in pinstripes.
    This is exactly how I feel - Frazier has unique talent and I think the makeup to succeed In NY. And I love the idea of the Yankees continuing to build their roster with young players who grow together like the Jeter-Posada- etc teams.

Also, I’m just not sold on Cole, especially making the transition to the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    This is exactly how I feel - Frazier has unique talent and I think the makeup to succeed In NY. And I love the idea of the Yankees continuing to build their roster with young players who grow together like the Jeter-Posada- etc teams.

Also, I’m just not sold on Cole, especially making the transition to the AL.
    The Yankees have always coveted Cole -- they made him their No. 1 draft pick coming out of high school (he went to college instead).

It's true that he has struggled the last two years -- with injury in 2016 and with results last year. But his velocity has not dropped and obviously the Yankees feel they can straighten him out.

What's too much to give? The Pirates are reportedly demanding Torres and that's not going to happen. And I hate to trade away Frazier, but he's superfluous in the crowded outfield. As promising as he looked, he did hit .231 in his brief debut last season ... another season like that and his value drops way down.

Harrison would be a nice addition, but Andujar is a lot to give up. He's 22 years old and he's going to hit (maybe more potential at the bat that Frazier). But can he play third base? That's a valid question -- he might be at some point, but right now, he's not ready.

Look, I want to bring in a solid starter to prevent the Yankees from moving Chad Green out of the bullpen (where he was fantastic) into the starting rotation. I like the idea of keeping a core group of players together, but even in the '90s, we traded off some prospects. The trick is keeping the right ones.

I think as it now stands, the Yankees could be the best team in baseball next season if they answer three questions positively: 2B (Torres?), 3B (Andujar? Harrison?) and one more starting pitcher (Cole?). It's not worth trading the team's future (Torres) to fill those holes, but it's worth giving up some decent prospects.

The Yankees have always coveted Cole -- they made him their No. 1 draft pick coming out of high school (he went to college instead).

It's true that he has struggled the last two years -- with injury in 2016 and with results last year. But his velocity has not dropped and obviously the Yankees feel they can straighten him out.

What's too much to give? The Pirates are reportedly demanding Torres and that's not going to happen. And I hate to trade away Frazier, but he's superfluous in the crowded outfield. As promising as he looked, he did hit .231 in his brief debut last season ... another season like that and his value drops way down.

Harrison would be a nice addition, but Andujar is a lot to give up. He's 22 years old and he's going to hit (maybe more potential at the bat that Frazier). But can he play third base? That's a valid question -- he might be at some point, but right now, he's not ready.

Look, I want to bring in a solid starter to prevent the Yankees from moving Chad Green out of the bullpen (where he was fantastic) into the starting rotation. I like the idea of keeping a core group of players together, but even in the '90s, we traded off some prospects. The trick is keeping the right ones.

I think as it now stands, the Yankees could be the best team in baseball next season if they answer three questions positively: 2B (Torres?), 3B (Andujar? Harrison?) and one more starting pitcher (Cole?). It's not worth trading the team's future (Torres) to fill those holes, but it's worth giving up some decent prospects.
    I like Frazier in part because I think Stanton will become a full-time DH pretty soon. The Yanks' David Ortiz. Saves wear and tear and opens up a corner OF spot for Frazier.

Andujar becomes redundant if the Yankees assume they will sign one of Machado or Donaldson after the 2018 season.

But that's a big if.

Right now, the Yankees have a presumed rotation of Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Montgomery and Sabathia. So, they can keep Green in the pen. If they do trade for Cole, what happens to Montgomery? He looked like a keeper last season. He's young, promising and cheap. The trifecta. And his ERA and WHIP were better last season than Cole's.

And Chris Archer can be had. But I'm not sure Tampa Bay would trade him to a division rival and supposedly they are asking for a lot for Archer. A lot.

But I'd be a lot more inclined to include Frazier for Archer than for Cole.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 12-25-2017 at 01:23 PM.

I like Frazier in part because I think Stanton will become a full-time DH pretty soon. The Yanks' David Ortiz. Saves wear and tear and opens up a corner OF spot for Frazier.
    How soon do you expect that to happen? Stanton certainly doesn't have the body type that cries out to be moved to DH, so moving him anytime soon doesn't seem to make much sense. And while you might at some point (or he might just leave though his opt-out), Frazier's got value in the meantime that you're wasting on the bench or in the minors. I don't know how good he'll be, obviously you never like trading away a guy who goes on to be special. But given the makeup of the roster, he's a good piece to use in trade. (I'm not necessarily talking about a Cole trade, I don't know enough about him to gauge that. But in general, I think Frazier's a good asset to make available).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    How soon do you expect that to happen? Stanton certainly doesn't have the body type that cries out to be moved to DH, so moving him anytime soon doesn't seem to make much sense. And while you might at some point (or he might just leave though his opt-out), Frazier's got value in the meantime that you're wasting on the bench or in the minors. I don't know how good he'll be, obviously you never like trading away a guy who goes on to be special. But given the makeup of the roster, he's a good piece to use in trade. (I'm not necessarily talking about a Cole trade, I don't know enough about him to gauge that. But in general, I think Frazier's a good asset to make available).
    Stanton was very healthy this season. But he played fewer than 120 games in three of the last four seasons prior to 2017. So, having him spend at least some time at DH might keep him healthy and prolong his productive years.

Or maybe Frazier DHs. Giradi liked to keep the DH spot open so regulars could rotate in. And yes, giving Sanchez an occasional day off from behind the plate, while keeping his bat in the lineup makes sense.

I have no idea what Boone wants to do. But I'd like to think the Bombers could do better than Matt Holiday at that spot.

I would be amenable to moving Frazier for a stud starter. I'm just not sure Cole is that guy.

I'd like to think the Bombers could do better than Matt Holiday at that spot.
    They did one better and went with a Holliday...