Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    How utterly bizarre that he played Tootsie for laughs. It's beyond obscene now. Is John Oliver on this weekend?
    John Oliver and Bill Maher are both off until January. Lots of catching up to do. Imagine the possibilities.

But Samantha Bee sure had a lot to say on the topic last week.

RE: James Levine. The Levine rumors have been prevalent for decades. The idea that management is just hearing about this stuff doesn't just strain credulity, it nukes credulity.

And the hits just keep on coming.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...045542744.html

Thread-merge time

Looks like this thread and the Carolina Panthers Tenesmus thread have converged, in light of workplace misconduct allegations against team owner Jerry Richardson and his announcement that he will sell the team after this season.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Looks like this thread and the Carolina Panthers Tenesmus thread have converged, in light of workplace misconduct allegations against team owner Jerry Richardson and his announcement that he will sell the team after this season.
    While many lament that society has not treated sexual harassment seriously enough for a loooong time, I would hope that seeing a super-rich dude forced out of his $billion+ mega-sports business and seeing a man seemingly destined for the senate upended at the last minute would make this a week where some positive things happened.

Meanwhile... the NFL network stuff is just beyond gross.

-Jason "I'll say this... my sons are both in college and I can tell you that the generation of men coming of age amidst all this stuff are learning that you cannot get away with treating women like objects!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    While many lament that society has not treated sexual harassment seriously enough for a loooong time, I would hope that seeing a super-rich dude forced out of his $billion+ mega-sports business and seeing a man seemingly destined for the senate upended at the last minute would make this a week where some positive things happened.
    And if the super-rich dude who has owned a $billion+ mega-sports business, or a near-Senator, isn't enough, how about adding a long-standing United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit judge to the list?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And if the super-rich dude who has owned a $billion+ mega-sports business, or a near-Senator, isn't enough, how about adding a long-standing United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit judge to the list?
    Judge Kosinski had weathered a previous scandal back in 2008 when he posted sexually explicit material on his website, believing that the public did not have access to it. I don't think that even a description of the material would survive on this site. Suffice it to say that it was multifarious. At the time, Kosinski was presiding over an obscenity trial in Los Angeles, and he was asked to step down.

Kozinski said he didn't think any of the material he posted on his website would qualify as obscene.

"Is it prurient? I don't know what to tell you," he said. "I think it's odd and interesting. It's part of life."
    However, he did step down from being the judge in that case. He was later admonished by a judicial council but not removed from the bench. Kosinski was a conservative (one of the few in the 9th Circuit) whose legal opinions were very highly regarded by legal scholars. He served as Chief Judge of the 9th circuit from 2007 to 2014.

I totally forgot this incident during this whole thread, but a couple years ago one of MIT's long-time star physics professors and lecturers, Walter Lewin, was forced out after online sexual harassment issues came to light.

http://tech.mit.edu/V134/N60/walterlewin.html

The interesting discussion here is what should have been done with all his material available online, such as through EdX, YouTube, or OCW (opencourseware).

MIT chose to ultimately get rid of the material from their official sites (it's still available at places like http://videolectures.net/mit802s02_e...ity_magnetism/ )

Similar to the debate on separating art from artist (very recently with movie stars, but also applicable to long-dead artists), it's tough to decide what to do with already-created content from people whom have now become persona non grata.

How do you weigh the public benefit of good, freely available lecture material vs. making a strong statement against things such as sexual harassment.

http://tech.mit.edu/V134/N62/lewin.html
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I totally forgot this incident during this whole thread, but a couple years ago one of MIT's long-time star physics professors and lecturers, Walter Lewin, was forced out after online sexual harassment issues came to light.

http://tech.mit.edu/V134/N60/walterlewin.html

The interesting discussion here is what should have been done with all his material available online, such as through EdX, YouTube, or OCW (opencourseware).

MIT chose to ultimately get rid of the material from their official sites (it's still available at places like http://videolectures.net/mit802s02_e...ity_magnetism/ )

Similar to the debate on separating art from artist (very recently with movie stars, but also applicable to long-dead artists), it's tough to decide what to do with already-created content from people whom have now become persona non grata.

How do you weigh the public benefit of good, freely available lecture material vs. making a strong statement against things such as sexual harassment.

http://tech.mit.edu/V134/N62/lewin.html
    Harvard and MIT, who had made videos of many classes available for free on the Internet, were sued for being out of compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The court was asked for an injunction requiring them to close caption all the material and also to rectify other issues, such as low color contrast that made the material challenging for those with vision disabilities. Berkeley was also sued, and to avoid the expense of bringing 43,000 hours of free online content into compliance they just took it offline.

"I can tell you that the generation of men coming of age amidst all this stuff are learning that you cannot get away with treating women like objects!"
    Does it count as a PPB violation if a moderator illegally entraps you into saying it?

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Harvard and MIT, who had made videos of many classes available for free on the Internet, were sued for being out of compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The court was asked for an injunction requiring them to close caption all the material and also to rectify other issues, such as low color contrast that made the material challenging for those with vision disabilities. Berkeley was also sued, and to avoid the expense of bringing 43,000 hours of free online content into compliance they just took it offline.
    This is not news to people like me who are attorneys representing schools. The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is in charge of enforcement for discrimination claims against school districts. They have been particularly watchful about disability discrimination in recent years, and website accessibility has been their issue du jour.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    This is not news to people like me who are attorneys representing schools. The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is in charge of enforcement for discrimination claims against school districts. They have been particularly watchful about disability discrimination in recent years, and website accessibility has been their issue du jour.
    We're getting a bit off topic here. But I will say this, I sure wish some of these organizations that seek to help the disabled would work with schools to find funding for things like close captioning videos instead of suing them. Lawyers are necessary in many cases, but really, National Association for the Deaf, if you've got money to pay lawyers to sue Harvard, surely you could hire someone to competently close caption video lectures instead.

Meanwhile... the NFL network stuff is just beyond gross.

-Jason "I'll say this... my sons are both in college and I can tell you that the generation of men coming of age amidst all this stuff are learning that you cannot get away with treating women like objects!" Evans

To add to your comments ---- There are some other interesting mechanisms of consequence that are beginning to take shape. I work for a large publicly traded company and support our IR team with investors that factor environmental and social considerations into their portfolio decisions. I was speaking with one of our senior leaders who sits on the board of another company that has started to receive investor questions about what essentially equates to sexual harassment risk.

Here's an article on the subject. It obviously makes sense in the entertainment business. Lauer, O'Reilly, Weinstein, Spacey, etc all drove a lot of revenue for their companies and their departures will likely impact the bottom line in multiple ways. You could imagine a scenario in which, let's say, Mark Zuckerberg was accused by several dozen women of exposing himself during the rise of Facebook (cut scenes from The Social Network, ya know). Even with his share holdings, he'd receive tremendous pressure to step down. It's not the jail time he'd deserve in this hypothetical situation but it is a form of consequence. Loss of stature, public shaming, corrosion of legacy...

Thank goodness for the benevolence of Wall Street...

Weinstein accuser Melissa Thompson releases a video (from a laptop camera) of Weinstein behaving inappropriately with her at a business meeting:

https://news.sky.com/story/world-exc...woman-11496038

It's pretty disgusting behavior from Weinstein, who utilizes his power over her for a gropefest.

Thompson alleges that Weinstein ends up raping her later on the same day. (She has no video of that, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Weinstein accuser Melissa Thompson releases a video (from a laptop camera) of Weinstein behaving inappropriately with her at a business meeting:

https://news.sky.com/story/world-exc...woman-11496038

It's pretty disgusting behavior from Weinstein, who utilizes his power over her for a gropefest.

Thompson alleges that Weinstein ends up raping her later on the same day. (She has no video of that, though.)
    That is one of the most horrifying things I have seen lately. So terrible...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?