Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Some simple observations from the game (I was there):
    (1) All GT's points came in the first half.
    (2) GT had to rely on passing extensively in the second half. The Duke defense made run options unproductive.
    (3) GT's punting looked impressive during the pregame warmups, but proved puny in live play.
    And the Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating contest was heart stopping (as well as nauseating)... I was there too.

Color me stunned. 500 yards, 30 to 15 first downs, 319 rushing, 32 to 28 ToP, 1 penalty for 15 yards, 0 TO. As someone said upthread, "Oh, what this season might have been." (or something like that)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    Shaky? I wouldn't say 18-26-0-177- 2tds; plus 91 yds-1td rushing was "shaky." If so, I hope he has a case of the shakes next Saturday. Yeah, he misconnected with Wilson twice. But from my seat, it looked like the pass could have been caught. If you are going to declare him "shaky" on the pass... let's also point out the two minute drive he directed to tie the first half; and his td run that sealed the deal.
    Yes, Jones has had a rough year but outside of a couple mistakes tonight, he directed the offense quite well. Impressive showing.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Lots of little Devil pasties to hand out
    Sounds like a plan

And the Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating contest was heart stopping (as well as nauseating)... I was there too.
    New and amusing but not one I hope they bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Running the ball 51 times for 319 yards was awesome to observe.
    I kept thinking this afternoon, “See!?!? Bob Green was right!”

Duke needs to invite accfanfrom1970 and his lovely wife to all the games. This was their first time ever attending a football game at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Duke needs to invite accfanfrom1970 and his lovely wife to all the games. This was their first time ever attending a football game at Duke.
    This was the first game since playing Miami that I don't recall watching. The real question is does accfanfrom1970 travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    WFU is really good this year. How? (Haven't followed them.)

They've gone from #100 (2014) to #89 (2015) to #68 (2016) to #20 (2017) in SRS:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...rest/2017.html

[For comparison's sake, we went from the #68 (2012) to #31 (2013). Quite the rise -- Wake's has been even higher (for now).
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...uke/2013.html]
    Wake may be the best coached program in NC. Typicallly, make few mistakes and capitize on yours. If I recall, a good mix of run and pass plays. Certainly we match up talent wise, but beating them in Winston will take efficient play and no massive screwups on special teams. I do like that Parker can be trusted on short to medium FGs, we just are kicking to many of them.

Also, maybe Cut and Roper can switch coaching positions next year😀

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    After UNC, I'd rather beat Georgia Tech than anyone else on the schedule. Sourpuss Paul Johnson and all those cut blocks -- ugh.

The Victor Dimukeje block, interception, and return for 26 yds to the GTech 27: one of the most exciting non-scoring plays in Duke football. How'd you do that, Victor?

I thought the Dimukeje play brought Mo Mentum into the game wearing a Duke jersey. While GT scored on the following drive, it took two heroic plays by TaQuon Marshall. It was great and important to block that extra point. After that, Tech did absolutely nothing on offense.

Apparently, Cut called most of the plays. OK, let's keep it up! One -- er, two -- more games.
    Forgot one other observation: #1 Duke basketball faced winless Southern U. on Friday night as +/- 34-point favorite. The bedraggled football team, stumbling through a six-game losing streak faced off at home against Georgia Tech on Saturday as a six-point underdog.

Football won by 23; basketball won by only 17.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Forgot one other observation: #1 Duke basketball faced winless Southern U. on Friday night as +/- 34-point favorite. The bedraggled football team, stumbling through a six-game losing streak faced off at home against Georgia Tech on Saturday as a six-point underdog.

Football won by 23; basketball won by only 17.
    So by the transitive cross-sport theory of relativity, Duke footbsll is #1 baby!!!!!

(Don’t argue, let me bask in it for awhile).

Had kind of scrapped Bowl plans mentally, may need to put that back on a burner somewhere. Can’t see much enthusiasm for a trip for a 5-7 result that backs into a vacant spot, but at 6-6 could see jetting our somewhere.

Sometimes, the clearest view comes from the other side of the ball:

Paul Johnson was outcoached and Georgia Tech players were outplayed, particularly in the second half. There were missed tackles from start to finish and three missed opportunities to recover Duke fumbles on the first drive alone, providing further proof of what anyone who can read the final score already knows: Duke wanted it more. They wanted it more, and they took it. It’s just that simple.
    https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...-jackets-43-20

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    New and amusing but not one I hope they bring back.
    I don't know why those guys didn't just up end the dang cartons and just drink that soup!
    Love, Ima

Shaky? I wouldn't say 18-26-0-177- 2tds; plus 91 yds-1td rushing was "shaky." If so, I hope he has a case of the shakes next Saturday. Yeah, he misconnected with Wilson twice. But from my seat, it looked like the pass could have been caught. If you are going to declare him "shaky" on the pass... let's also point out the two minute drive he directed to tie the first half; and his td run that sealed the deal.
    Having one good game, albeit one where mistakes were made, doesn't mean we didn't do things poorly that are worrisome headed into the Wake game.

That pass to Wilson was a layup, and he missed the throw. Not a super big deal looking back. He also made a bunch of bone headed passes that thankfully were not picked off. They hit defenders in the chest. Maybe that's on the WRs for not doing a good enough job shielding them off, but we were lucky those plays weren't made, especially in the first half when we were floundering a little bit.

I have a buddy who works on the staff. That's my source for Cut being more involved in the play calling. Not sure if he was calling all the plays, but at the beginning of the year, Roper had the reigns, he no longer does.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This was the first game since playing Miami that I don't recall watching. The real question is does accfanfrom1970 travel?
    Yes, but not nearly as well as tyler h.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Having one good game, albeit one where mistakes were made, doesn't mean we didn't do things poorly that are worrisome headed into the Wake game.

That pass to Wilson was a layup, and he missed the throw. Not a super big deal looking back. He also made a bunch of bone headed passes that thankfully were not picked off. They hit defenders in the chest. Maybe that's on the WRs for not doing a good enough job shielding them off, but we were lucky those plays weren't made, especially in the first half when we were floundering a little bit.

I have a buddy who works on the staff. That's my source for Cut being more involved in the play calling. Not sure if he was calling all the plays, but at the beginning of the year, Roper had the reigns, he no longer does.
    Plus, OZZIE conveniently forgot the combination for the padlock...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I wish.

That was one fun tailgate and one fun game. I will try to make more in the future. I appreciate all the hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I wish.

That was one fun tailgate and one fun game. I will try to make more in the future. I appreciate all the hospitality.
    Is "hospitality" code for free food, or something untoward ... private tents and all ...

Is "hospitality" code for free food, or something untoward ... private tents and all ...
    He means devildeac hospitality, not Rick Pitino hospitality.

At least, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He means devildeac hospitality, not Rick Pitino hospitality.

At least, I assume.
    A lot more goes into our tent/tailgating hospitality than yours truly, but you are kind to post such a statement. (lol about Pitino)

Two grills and chefs, just about everything home made by our chefs and/or tent members (except our traditional foot long Costco tradition), sometimes multiple main courses, side dishes and fixins, desserts and, of course, often a great variety of hand-crafted specialty ales (BYOB). Tent "members" pay for Duke to set up our tent for each home game of the season and we all put the pre-season agreed upon amount into the "jar" to cover food and all other associated expenses for each gathering. Most of our group has done this for 10+ years now, starting in one of the Blue Lots before Duke made the tents available on Devil's Alley.