Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    On the broadcast last night it was stated that Kyra is going to red-shirt this year. I have not seen anything in print, and thought that decision wasn't going to be made for another month. Does anyone have info on this?
    I haven't heard anything official. But I've operated all season under the assumption that she would not play this season. Doesn't make sense to burn a year of eligibility down the road for at best a half-season of play. So, i would not be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't heard anything official. But I've operated all season under the assumption that she would not play this season. Doesn't make sense to burn a year of eligibility down the road for at best a half-season of play. So, i would not be surprised.
    I figured so as well, have always wondered if they tried to bring Chelsea back too soon. But each injury is different. I just think with Lexie and Becca this will be our best chance to win the ACC and make the Final Four for a while. All hands on deck. But I sure don't want them to risk Kyra's knee.

Keep in mind that Duke faced this same decision with Rebecca Greenwell in her true freshman year and with Haley Gorecki last year. Both were recovering from surgery at the beginning of the seasons in question but both could have played by mid-season or so. But Duke elected to keep them out, thus preserving a year of eligibility.

Very much the right call, IMO. Cost-benefit 101.

Greenwell would have ended her Duke career last season had a different decision been made. She's much more valuable to the program this year than she would have been in a half-season as a true freshman.

And Lambert is a very good student and would no doubt take advantage of a fifth year, either with a second major or grad-school work.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    On the broadcast last night it was stated that Kyra is going to red-shirt this year. I have not seen anything in print, and thought that decision wasn't going to be made for another month. Does anyone have info on this?
    Coach H, at the pregame "Chalk Talk" said that she was working with the team, but not in full drills. He didn't mention anything about her red-shirting. (The first question asked of him was about Kyra.)

Poor showing today, but if you had told me 10 days ago that we would go 2-1 against Oregon State, Ohio State, and South Carolina I would have gladly taken it.

If we could make layups we'd be dangerous.

We desperately need 1 or 2 of the newcomers to step up. Disappointing so far.

Other than Lexie and Becca (and Erin somewhat), all of the other players are wildly inconsistent. We can play with anybody but UConn (they are just so much better than every other team), but we need everyone to play well.
    Last edited by dudog84; 12-03-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Poor showing today, but if you had told me 10 days ago that we would go 2-1 against Oregon State, Ohio State, and South Carolina I would have gladly taken it.

We desperately need 1 or 2 of the newcomers to step up. Disappointing so far.

Other than Lexie and Becca (and Erin somewhat), all of the other players are wildly inconsistent. We can play with anybody but UConn (they are just so much better than every other team), but we need everyone to play well.
    I think that's a BIT harsh given where duke was 2 years ago and last year.

USC is a really good team...probably one of the top three in the country. Their only loss is close to ND, which knocked them down probably further than it ought to have. Uconn aside, the next class of teams is probably USC and ND, and MAYBE UL...with (IMO) the verdict still out on texas. I think duke is probably in the 7-10 range in the country, along with OSU, UCLA, Baylor, Stanford. That's a good place to be. Duke should be aiming for a 2 seed.

As an aside, it's really good to see the "top tier" broken down a bit. Hopefully, gone are the days when only a small subset of teams can wax everyone. Those teams (aside from uconn...) are less dominant overall...giving a lot of parity from 2-15. That makes for some good ball, I think. So long as uconn continues to win everything, I'm glad to see this.
    April 1

No surprises today. Game hens have more talent, they are well coached, they had a good game plan, and they executed it. Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think that's a BIT harsh given where duke was 2 years ago and last year.

USC is a really good team...probably one of the top three in the country. Their only loss is close to ND, which knocked them down probably further than it ought to have. Uconn aside, the next class of teams is probably USC and ND, and MAYBE UL...with (IMO) the verdict still out on texas. I think duke is probably in the 7-10 range in the country, along with OSU, UCLA, Baylor, Stanford. That's a good place to be. Duke should be aiming for a 2 seed.

As an aside, it's really good to see the "top tier" broken down a bit. Hopefully, gone are the days when only a small subset of teams can wax everyone. Those teams (aside from uconn...) are less dominant overall...giving a lot of parity from 2-15. That makes for some good ball, I think. So long as uconn continues to win everything, I'm glad to see this.
    Can you detail where I'm being harsh?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I guarantee you, that is the most quoted line from every season of DWB.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I guarantee you, that is the most quoted line from every season of DWB.
    That and “Turnovers!”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    That and “Turnovers!”
    I have more faith in us controlling turnovers than making layups.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Umm. don't look now, but Notre Dame is ahead of UConn 62-54 at the end of 3. ESPN

And, of course, Notre Dame fell apart in the fourth.

And, of course, Azura Stevens led the comeback.

Of course.

Umm. don't look now, but Notre Dame is ahead of UConn 62-54 at the end of 3. ESPN
    Watched the last 4 minutes due to your heads up. UConn wins by 9, and lost 2 starters during the game according to announcers. Have the #1 freshman this year and the #1 and #5 recruits coming next year, so this is going to continue for a while. I hate it, I don't think it's good for the game, but I can't blame them.

During those few minutes I saw a couple of missed layups by ND and another short jumper that caught nothing but air. So it's not just us. But us is all I watch. So it will probably continue to frustrate me.

Watched the last 4 minutes due to your heads up. UConn wins by 9, and lost 2 starters during the game according to announcers. Have the #1 freshman this year and the #1 and #5 recruits coming next year, so this is going to continue for a while. I hate it, I don't think it's good for the game, but I can't blame them.

During those few minutes I saw a couple of missed layups by ND and another short jumper that caught nothing but air. So it's not just us. But us is all I watch. So it will probably continue to frustrate me.
    Notre Dame realized they had a chance to beat UConn, in Connecticut no less and stopped doing the things that gave them the lead in the first place. Lots of standing around, lots of ill-advised 3s, botched defensive rotations.

UConn has boatloads of talent, no doubt. But there's a psychological dimension. Their opponents hope to win. They expect to win.

Notre Dame realized they had a chance to beat UConn, in Connecticut no less and stopped doing the things that gave them the lead in the first place. Lots of standing around, lots of ill-advised 3s, botched defensive rotations.

UConn has boatloads of talent, no doubt. But there's a psychological dimension. Their opponents hope to win. They expect to win.
    and AZ was, in fact, very strong in the 4th qtr.

Can you detail where I'm being harsh?
    I didn't think it was especially poor. USC is a really good team. They played close to ND who had Uconn beat for most of the game tonight.

IMO those are the best 3 teams in the country.

I wouldn't expect most teams to come close to those three...and if they did, I'd say it was an exceptional performance for the opponent. Oregon state vs ND, or maryland vs USC.

I guess it comes down to how one defines "poor." I think if duke played any of those teams multiple times, the average loss would be 15-20. That doesn't mean duke couldn't play better, just that it's what you'd expect. IMO, a poor performance would closer to 30 point loss.

Idk...you're probably right...but credit to those top teams for forcing everyone else into poor performances.
    April 1

And, of course, Notre Dame fell apart in the fourth.

And, of course, Azura Stevens led the comeback.

Of course.
    was dissapointed by Uconn's play today. saw a lot of the things that have frustrated me about Duke's men...settling for hard shots easy in the shot clock when they ought to be able to create better ones, carelessness with the ball (especially yesterday for duke!). ND did a great job on the boards as well. They've been lacking a real leader on the floor ever since stewie graduated.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I didn't think it was especially poor. USC is a really good team. They played close to ND who had Uconn beat for most of the game tonight.

IMO those are the best 3 teams in the country.

I wouldn't expect most teams to come close to those three...and if they did, I'd say it was an exceptional performance for the opponent. Oregon state vs ND, or maryland vs USC.

I guess it comes down to how one defines "poor." I think if duke played any of those teams multiple times, the average loss would be 15-20. That doesn't mean duke couldn't play better, just that it's what you'd expect. IMO, a poor performance would closer to 30 point loss.

Idk...you're probably right...but credit to those top teams for forcing everyone else into poor performances.
    Thanks for the response. South Carolina is good, but I was very disappointed in losing by 20. I'm sure the girls are as well. Maybe the Ohio State game got my hopes up. And none of our newcomers are averaging more than about 4 ppg, none averaging 3 rpg. I was expecting much more. And then somebody can score in double digits one game and have 0 or a few the next. Teams are going to concentrate on shutting down Lexie and Becca and if the others don't make them pay we will have a very short stay in the NCAA Tournament (yes, I'm getting ahead of myself).

Erin played brilliantly on Sunday. The harsh reality is that when she’s our leading scorer, we’re in a heap of trouble.