Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    A couple of rough spots (middle of second, beginning of fourth) but an outstanding game.

First, and some here won't admit it, but an outstanding game plan and execution by the coaching staff and players. Coming out in M2M was terrific, and probably not really expected. I think we played a little zone (when Sofia came in) and gave up two quick 3s, but went back to M2M after a time out.

On the players, obviously Leaonna showed her talent and abilities, but while Lexie didn't score as much as usual (Belmont's defense key'd on her) she delivered a few dimes Ducky's way, and she finished them. This is the Odom we've see a little, we need to see it consistently, not just for the rest of this season, but hopefully the next two as well.

Faith played outstanding D in her start (Bego/Sofia and even Jade would have been a liability with Belmont's three point shooting.) Becca was strong, and hit all four of our 3s. Erin played well on D, and contributed ten points as well. The bench didn't score, and didn't play great, but Jayda gave the starters a few minutes off.

For a game that so many wrote off, figuring Belmont would kill us with their threes, we played under control (only 8 turnovers, three of which were illegal screens IIRC) and didn't let them get away. And, as mentioned during the second half, we wore them down, and their legs were tired on their shots late. That's a big part of our defense as well.

On to the next game, against either Georgia or Mercer. Both from the Peach State, so it'll be another road game atmosphere on Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    25 points from Odom is exactly what we need if we hope to move on face Uconn.
    Somewhere Jim Sumner is smiling.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Didn't realize until during the game that Belmont was ranked #23 nationally. What the $&#*. Exactly how does a 5-seed get a ranked opponent in a round-of-64 game?

As just one example, Virginia (btw, congrats on the upset win) was a 10-seed and played unranked Cal. Again, what the $&#*.

We're probably the only team that will have to beat 2 ranked teams to get to the Sweet 16.

GREAT JOB LADIES!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Somewhere Jim Sumner is smiling.
    Somewhere meaning Pittsburgh, I expect.

Georgia squeaked by Mercer so we will face the Bulldogs Monday on their home court. Anybody have a scouting report?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Louisville and State have both moved on to the Sweet Sixteen. Kudos to the Wuffies for earning their homestand and making the most of it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's about as poor as we could play for a quarter and we're up 3. Lexie out of sorts, she'll pull out of it.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

The women got off to a good start against Georgia, but have already committed 9 turnovers -- nine! -- in the first 10 minutes. Georgia's players are very quick and active on defense, which is particularly troublesome for a Duke team whose players are not adept at handling and passing the ball. Fortunately, it appears that Georgia's offense is not too formidable. Duke leads by 3 heading into the second quarter.

Wow! 20-2 second quarter. Defense plus some of the worst shooting I've seen from a major college team.

Halftime score is 35-14.

Up 21 at the half. Adequate.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    WOW!!!
    Keep it up ladies!

14 points for Georgia. D U K E spells Defense!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Great second quarter for Duke -- now up 35-14. The Blue Devils are still prone to turnovers, which now total 15 at the half; but Georgia keeps missing shots, and Duke is dominating the defensive boards.

Did the Georgia coach forget she can call timeouts? Was she ever an assistant under ol' Roy?

Don't take your foot off the gas, ladies!

Up 53-26 after 3 qtrs. Georgia REALLY doesn't want to play UCONN.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

This is the perfect match up for Duke. Georgia has zero outside, three point shooting ability. Against them our zone has been awesome. 57-26 Duke
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great to see Lexie and Becca have one more fabulous game. I am so going to miss watching them.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The Devils headband says "All bark, no bite."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke wins by 26, 66-40. We face UConn, who beat Quinnipiac by 25, 71-46.

HUGE win! With that defense, we got a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Up 53-26 after 3 qtrs. Georgia REALLY doesn't want to play UCONN.

Didn't look like they wanted to play DUKE either!