Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Considering the play of uNC's two freshman bigs, be prepared for 3 more years of football on the women's court. Just the way Sylvia likes it.
    You forgot to add that Sylvia will publicly criticize Duke for its physicality and say her team needs to suit up against Fedora's crew. 2017 is like 2003. That comparison isn't a good idea (ding, ding, ding).

Can anyone confirm what I extrapolated on ESPN3: Duke #4 v. NCSU/UNC/Pitt winner?

Considering the play of uNC's two freshman bigs, be prepared for 3 more years of football on the women's court. Just the way Sylvia likes it.
    The staff should put life-size photos of those two on the walls in the weight room, to remind Jade why she’s spending every day from April to October in there.

Becca and Lexie lost by 1 point, 54-53. Erin has to be disappointed not scoring on Senior Day, hopefully that lights a fire under her and she goes back to giving us 10 and 7 in the tournaments. She hasn't been herself the last couple of games. Early foul trouble may be part of the problem. We need her to play up to her skills.

We have to get Leaonna touching the ball more. I really like how last game or two she would bring the ball upcourt sometimes, it seemed to get her into the game. We're going to need her also going forward.

Would love to have Becca and Lexie go for 50+ the rest of the way, but we need more from the rest of the team.

Anyone who was at the game have any comments about the senior speeches?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Becca and Lexie lost by 1 point, 54-53. Erin has to be disappointed not scoring on Senior Day, hopefully that lights a fire under her and she goes back to giving us 10 and 7 in the tournaments. She hasn't been herself the last couple of games. Early foul trouble may be part of the problem. We need her to play up to her skills.

We have to get Leaonna touching the ball more. I really like how last game or two she would bring the ball upcourt sometimes, it seemed to get her into the game. We're going to need her also going forward.

Would love to have Becca and Lexie go for 50+ the rest of the way, but we need more from the rest of the team.

Anyone who was at the game have any comments about the senior speeches?
    Wasn't much to the speeches. The entire senior day ceremony was held after the game (no special introductions before.) Lexie did choke up a bit emotionally.

Erin got messed up by that terrible "unsportsmanlike" call early in the first, that was her second and put her out for the half. She played good D and got some key rebounds. Jade and Bego were the two that filled in the best, with good defense, and Jade was getting some great inside looks (3-5). Bego was 2-2 as well.

The defense gave up some threes (4-8) in the first, but the halftime adjustments were great, we shut them down for the first 6+ minutes of the third quarter. They struggled to get off shots, and the defense was active in batting away balls if not outright stealing them.

44 for the cheaters should suit up for Fedora, she'd be an improvement over some of his linemen. (Kea and Cherry can shoot, fortunately they didn't get back on track until late in the 4th.)

First the good news.

Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell were really good, All-America good.

For the week, Brown had 52 points, 7 rebounds, 9 steals and 14 assists in wins over FSU and UNC.

Greenwell had 53 points, 22 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals.

Marvelous.

But can Duke count on that level of performance every game? That's putting a lot of burden on two players. Can't have an off game, can't get in foul trouble, can't get tired, can't defer.

Maybe they can. But I'd like to have some wiggle room.

It's entirely possible that every team Duke plays from here on out will be better than Carolina. Jade Williams was Duke's third-leading scorer today, with all of six points.

Somewhere along the line, somebody is going to sell out to shut down one or both of the Splash Sisters and make someone else beat them.

Does Duke have a someone else? For the second game in a row, Erin Mathias picked up two early fouls and sat out much of the first half. She came back and had some strong rebounds in the second half and some physical defense against Bailey.

But she did not score a point and only scored two against Florida State.

Leaonna Odom missed a couple of easy shots early and went into why-bother-mode. Sure, she had a nice stuff on Paris Kea and the lob off the inbounds pass was neat. But she played 28 minutes and grabbed one rebound, along with four points.

One rebound in 28 minutes.

She has to do better.

With Gorecki out, Duke is going to need defense and rebounding to beat good teams and Carolina outrebounded Duke 37-36 and that was with Greenwell grabbing 13. Duke's taller-than-Becca players combined for 14 rebounds in 102 minutes. Jade Williams had one rebound in 23 minutes. Bailey just muscled her into last week and she isn't the last physical post player Duke will face.

Faz Davalos, Adams, Suggs and Roma have about maxed out.

Sorry, if this sounds too negative. Beating Carolina by double-digits is always something to celebrate.

But I'm already into March mode.

Again, Greenwell and Brown were off the charts good and Duke's D was active and effective, holding Paris Kea to nine points, half her season average. But if Duke wants to play their way into first-round hosting in Greensboro and make it past the first weekend in the NCAAs, then Odom, Mathias and Williams have to step up and give Brown and Greenwell some help.

“Jade was getting some great inside looks (3-5). “

Deceptive stats. One of those misses was a wide open layup and she had a team leading 5 turnovers, all while attempting post moves.

Bailey not alone with thuggery. Church was mugging Becca.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So even though the bracket hasn't been filled out, since Duke will be the 4 seed, it looks like we play Friday at 11, and if we survive that we move on to probably play Louisville on Saturday at noon.
    Notre Dame and Louisville tied for a share of the regular season title, with Louisville winning their meeting in January. (They won by a lot, 100-67.) Duke played both teams pretty well, but came up short each time.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/2018/1/...ournament.aspx
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So even though the bracket hasn't been filled out, since Duke will be the 4 seed, it looks like we play Friday at 11, and if we survive that we move on to probably play Louisville on Saturday at noon.
    Notre Dame and Louisville tied for a share of the regular season title, with Louisville winning their meeting in January. (They won by a lot, 100-67.) Duke played both teams pretty well, but came up short each time.

Historically, I would say better Louisville than Notre Dame, but what do people who actually know something think?

(of course, presuming we survive the first game - Take nothing for granted!)

Duke will likely play NC State in the quarterfinals and that would be a very difficult game. Win that and Louisville likely awaits. Then whoever is left from a bracket that includes Notre Dame and Florida State.

It ain't going to be easy. But in order to host, Duke had better stick around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke will likely play NC State in the quarterfinals and that would be a very difficult game. Win that and Louisville likely awaits. Then whoever is left from a bracket that includes Notre Dame and Florida State.

It ain't going to be easy. But in order to host, Duke had better stick around for awhile.
    Beating State is a must, and as you say, will be difficult.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With a grain of salt, Charlie Creme has Duke back as a 4 seed.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With a grain of salt, Charlie Creme has Duke back as a 4 seed.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology
    All comes down to this weekend, I believe. If we play #23 NCState and win, we should get to host regardless of what we do Saturday. If NCState is upset Thursday, a win in the quarterfinals won't mean as much. Y'all know what a homer I am, but if we lose on Friday (to whoever) we don't deserve to host.

Moved up to #18 in the AP poll but a lot of votes away from #16. Was #16 in last week's coaches poll...we could move up one spot when the new one comes out, Maryland could drop after losing to Michigan and squeaking out a 2-point win at home against Nebraska. Very importantly, we're #12 in the RPI. A lot on the line Friday. We're a different team at home.

Of course, the other teams sitting around 16th are playing in their tournaments and how they perform could affect us. But I think we host if we win on Friday.

Lexie named a finalist (final 5) for the Nancy Lieberman award for top point guard in the country.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Way to go Lexie!

Unfortunately, the award will almost surely go to Kelsey Mitchell who will end up the #2 scorer in women's history (she has an outside chance at #1).

Up to #15 in the coaches' poll. NCState #22 (#21 RPI), so if we meet them Friday that would be an important win.

The ACC tournament begins today at noon, with Sylvia's Jacket playing against BC.
    RSN is carrying the games. (And I'd assume can also be watched on theacc.com.)
    Duke first plays the winner of Syracuse/VT on Friday, then would play either FSU or State (or whoever beats State tomorrow) on Saturday.

The ACC tournament begins today at noon, with Sylvia's Jacket playing against BC.
    RSN is carrying the games. (And I'd assume can also be watched on theacc.com.)
    Duke first plays the winner of Syracuse/VT on Friday, then would play either FSU or State (or whoever beats State tomorrow) on Saturday.

No, Duke plays on Friday against the winner of NCState vs. uNC/BC.

No, Duke plays on Friday against the winner of NCState vs. uNC/BC.
    I must have been reading the bracket before I had all of my coffee. I was wondering about that. (Or someone at the ACC.com had a few typos, because I looked at it a long time while scratching my head, lol. It also had the first game today at noon, and it is actually 1:00.)

Lexie is the ACC defensive POY!

Sylvia's Jacket moves back to .500, at least for one day, as they squeak past lowly BC.
    Rats.

What a rip-off. Let's compare player #1 vs. player #2:

Player - points - rebounds - assists - steals
    Player1 - 19.5 - 2.9 - 2.1 - 1.0
    Player2 - 20.3 - 4.6 - 4.4 - 3.6

Who has had the better year? Player2 obviously, our Lexie Brown. Player1 however is the ACC POY.

Yes, Player1's team had a better record, but that team's starting 5 has missed a total of 3 games between them. 3 missed games out of 155 cumulative. I'd like us to have just one year with that kind of health. Just one. Hopefully more.

WE know you're the best Lexie!