View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Duke player?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gene Banks

54 43.55%
  • Danny Ferry

70 56.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Player Poll - Gene Banks vs. Danny Ferry

The winner of this poll goes on to face the winner of JWill versus Tate Armstrong.

--Jason "I strongly encourage folks to write about how they made the difficult choice in this poll" Evans

The numbers

Banks - 124 games - 120 games started - 2079 pts - 360 assists - 985 rebounds

Ferry - 143 games - 124 games started - 2155 pts - 506 assists - 1003 rebounds

Two great players...i cannot decide...HELP

When we're dealing with favorite players, it's hard not to vote for Tinkerbell

I'm going with Tinkerbell here because that '78 team is the squad that made me a Duke fan. Plus, he signed with Duke when the Devils had been mediocre (at best) for several years - extra points for being a program changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I'm going with Tinkerbell here because that '78 team is the squad that made me a Duke fan. Plus, he signed with Duke when the Devils had been mediocre (at best) for several years - extra points for being a program changer.
    I have a lot of admiration for Ferry, but I was still a (grad) student at Duke when Gene Banks came to town, so...yeah.

Gotta go with Ferry

I admit that Banks was a bit before my time, so this is playing into it ...

But, wow, Ferry? That guy was simply awesome in a Duke uniform.

To me, the decision was easy--

I arrived at Duke the same time as Danny Ferry, so my exposure to Gene Banks was only limited. But that is not the reason I chose Ferry.

Ferry goes alognside Laettner, Battier, and even Dawkins as the most important players of the Coach K era. In the wake of the wonderous 1986 season, Duke was due for a dropoff. Every key player on that team was gone except Amaker (a risisng senior) and the freshman Ferry. As a soph, Danny deferred to Tommy, as he should, even though it may not have been for the best. But it was Ferry's Junior and Senior seasons when he took over the Duke program and drove us to such heights that we were considered a Final Four contender year-in and year-out. It was Ferry's amazing ability to make the guys around him better that drove those teams and turned the Final Four into the Duke Invitational (as it was known in the late 1980s and early 1990s).

Plus, I actually watched Ferry's stuning 58-point game at Miami live!! Most folks have only seen that game on tape. It was only broadcast on the then unheardof Sunshine Network but me and some buddies went to a local bar that had satellite to watch it. Folks, if you have not seen it, you need to watch that game. Ferry's line was just sick.

23 for 26 FGA. 10 of 12 FTs. 2 blocks, 3 steals, and 7 assists!! It was not like he was just gunning and trying to set some scoring record-- he had 7 assists too!!! Un-real!! I am yet to see anything like it. The closest I've seen was the amazing overtime that JWill had against Kentucky back in 2001-02. And really, JWill only scored 38 points in that game and he missed plenty of shots.

I hate that Danny's game never really translated to the pro level. I truly thought he would be an all-star in the NBA. I am not sure what happened because he had that ability to make the guys around him better. If he had been a better pro, I am convinced he would be regarded as one of the greats in college hoops history.

Anyway, that is why I voted for him.

--Jason "Banks was great, but this was an easy choice for me" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ferry goes alognside Laettner, Battier, and even Dawkins as the most important players of the Coach K era.
    Whoa, now. Grant Hill is very conspicuous in his absence from this sentence. He's the guy who got Duke over the national championship hump, and darn near added a third pretty much by himself. He's the most versatile player ever to play for Duke, and, I'd argue, the best. Certainly, he was Duke's best NBA player, until derailed by injuries. What more does he need in the way of credentials to get on this list?

I arrived at Duke the same time as Danny Ferry, so my exposure to Gene Banks was only limited. But that is not the reason I chose Ferry.

Ferry goes alognside Laettner, Battier, and even Dawkins as the most important players of the Coach K era. In the wake of the wonderous 1986 season, Duke was due for a dropoff. Every key player on that team was gone except Amaker (a risisng senior) and the freshman Ferry. As a soph, Danny deferred to Tommy, as he should, even though it may not have been for the best. But it was Ferry's Junior and Senior seasons when he took over the Duke program and drove us to such heights that we were considered a Final Four contender year-in and year-out. It was Ferry's amazing ability to make the guys around him better that drove those teams and turned the Final Four into the Duke Invitational (as it was known in the late 1980s and early 1990s).

Plus, I actually watched Ferry's stuning 58-point game at Miami live!! Most folks have only seen that game on tape. It was only broadcast on the then unheardof Sunshine Network but me and some buddies went to a local bar that had satellite to watch it. Folks, if you have not seen it, you need to watch that game. Ferry's line was just sick.

23 for 26 FGA. 10 of 12 FTs. 2 blocks, 3 steals, and 7 assists!! It was not like he was just gunning and trying to set some scoring record-- he had 7 assists too!!! Un-real!! I am yet to see anything like it. The closest I've seen was the amazing overtime that JWill had against Kentucky back in 2001-02. And really, JWill only scored 38 points in that game and he missed plenty of shots.

I hate that Danny's game never really translated to the pro level. I truly thought he would be an all-star in the NBA. I am not sure what happened because he had that ability to make the guys around him better. If he had been a better pro, I am convinced he would be regarded as one of the greats in college hoops history.

Great report JE. I'm sure younger fans like myself (first team I remember was 1994) would appreciate any summaries or stories the veterans have. Keep 'em coming!

Danny Ferry because...

The winner of this poll goes on to face the winner of JWill versus Tate Armstrong.

--Jason "I strongly encourage folks to write about how they made the difficult choice in this poll" Evans
    ....you MADE me have to choose! The nod goes to Ferry for coming in at a time that sustained us when he could have gone anywhere. I do believe that it would have been very tough to keep our program front and center long enough to catch the eyes of the star players who chose us from that time forward had he not thrown us that life line right then and there.

Love, Ima

PS But, bless Tinkerbell's heart too. Ya gotta love him for keeping his feet on the ground through some tough times and remaining the terrific guy he is.

Banks and King threatened to be what Magic and Bird later became. Neither Banks nor King lived up to the hype in my opinion. Both were "stiffer", less versatile players then I expected.

Next to impossible to add anything to what JE said about Danny. Let me try, Jason "now there's a freakin surprise" Evans, let me try. Danny had a fluidity to his game that few players match.

Banks and King

As pointed out by greybeard, Banks and King were highly touted coming out of high school and, while they each had good college careers, they were considered "disappointments" by some fans.

Both played on teams that were fun to watch. Duke had Giminski, Spanarkel and Dennard and Maryland had Buck Williams, Greg Manning and Ernie Graham.

A Virginia alum who was a good friend of mine, often stated that King, unlike his older brother, had a suburban game (he was an excellent jump shooter and very average putting the ball on the court). Neither he nor I saw Banks in the same light.

gw67

I refuse to vote Both of these guys meant so much to Duke Basketball. I can't eliminate either one.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    As pointed out by greybeard, Banks and King were highly touted coming out of high school and, while they each had good college careers, they were considered "disappointments" by some fans.

Both played on teams that were fun to watch. Duke had Giminski, Spanarkel and Dennard and Maryland had Buck Williams, Greg Manning and Ernie Graham.

A Virginia alum who was a good friend of mine, often stated that King, unlike his older brother, had a suburban game (he was an excellent jump shooter and very average putting the ball on the court). Neither he nor I saw Banks in the same light.

gw67
    Banks had slightly more elan to his game than Albert, but not much. He was eclipsed in that category by Marty, and, imo, even by Kenny. He showed versatility in the interior of the defense with a variety of one bounce ways to score.

Bernard was a genuis at his position. I wonder how much his imagination for the game was developed by having Ernie to train with. Together, I bet the two figured out stuff neither would have even thought about on his own.

Bernard is perhaps the most underrated basketball player of his generation. Even aside from his uncanny ability to get off his feet so quickly, and his dart-like first step, the guy figured ways to shoot off either foot and to deliver the ball to a sound shooting position with speed that no one before or since has even come close to replicating.

Bernie and Ernie, both succeeding wildly in part because of the other. Is this a great game or what?

uh, what he said.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    This one was pretty easy for me, too, for a couple of reasons. First, I wasn't paying that much attention to Duke basketball when Tink was playing - I really became a fan as I was hunting for colleges in the mid-80's. I was the same Duke class as Danny, Quin, and John Smith (and Jason Evans), so I got to see them up close and personal for four years. I love the stories I've read about Tink, and I suspect had I become a Duke fan a decade earlier, this would have been a much tougher decision, but it is what it is.

Beyond the fact that we were in the same class, I echo much of what Jason has to say about Danny. Greybeard mentioned the fluidity of his game. I think this is an example of what he meant:

I vividly remember a play where Danny and Quin were on a 2-1 fast break. I forget who threw the outlet pass, but as Danny was running down the right side of the lane, he caught the ball one-handed with his right hand and immediately flipped it across his body and across the lane, just in front of the defender, to Quin who took it up to score. It was something beautiful and graceful, like you might see from Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, but this was a 6'10" forward making the pass. (It was this kind of stuff, along with his outside shot, that had folks comparing Danny to Larry Bird.)

Another vivid memory of a Danny "play". It was a game in Cameron, a Duke player (Brickey?) was on the line. Danny was on the low block on the left side of the lane. As Brickey was preparing to shoot, Danny takes a quick look around, sees that the refs aren't looking at him, and gives the opponent next to him a little push in the back. The guy was already leaning forwards, and the push makes him step into the lane for a lane violation. Brickey missed the FT, but he got to shoot again due to the violation, and he made the second attempt. It was this kind of saavy that made folks comment about things Danny had picked up when hanging around all those pro players for years with his dad, who was an NBA GM.

IIRC, Danny is one of the very few players to lead his team in points, assists, AND rebounds over an entire season, which he did in 86-87. Somehow, that gets lost among all his other amazing statistical achievements. Having watched all 3 of them play, it is my opinion that Danny was more central to his team's success in 87-88 and 88-89 than Grant in 93-94 or JJ in 05-06. He is probably the most consistently dominant offensive Duke player I've seen, and his D was no slouch, either.

So, because my love for Duke ball was established as I watched him play; because he deferred to the senior team leaders as an underclassmen, but stepped up to lead as an upperclassmen; because he played the game with a child-like enthusiasm and joy and a pro's skill and saavy; and because he carried his teammates to two consecutive Final Fours, Danny will always be one of my most favorite Duke players.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Again, love both guys. I voted for Ferry. Could just as easily have voted for Tinkerbell.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Now, time to get serious: Shane Battier vs. JJ Redick, positions not withstanding.

I'm torn.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Now, time to get serious: Shane Battier vs. JJ Redick, positions not withstanding.

I'm torn.
    Really? In a 32-player bracket they are meeting in the first round?? Jason, say it ain't so.

NBA Title

I loved both players but I have to vote for Ferry one reason and one reason only. Although he did it sitting on the bench he got NBA championship ring. Thus breaking the Duke curse of NBA champion futlity going back to the California Warriors in the early 70's. (Mullins) I got so sick of hearing UNC fans brag about NBA championships their players had won. Now we need a few more Duke guys to break through!