Paul Byrd revelation - San Fran Chronicle

I know they are trying to sell newspapers, but the timing of the article is bothersome to me. Not sure when they got the information they did but did they wait to reveal anything? Am I overly sensitive to the timing?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../MNN6SSC8F.DTL

FYI - Paul Byrd, a starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians, was identified as having been a large purchaser of HGH from an anti-aging clinic in Florida. HGH was banned by MLB sometime in 2005. The purchases were made prior to the banning.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 10-21-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added link to the article

I havent gotten the full story- but it seems like this may not be a clear black and white "cheating issue." Apparently Byrd was not trying to hide the fact he was using HGH (made purchases with his own credit card, when he was with the Braves had deliveries made to the clubhouse - remember this was ~2003, not the early 90s). Also, there is apparently a passage in his book that he has written how he had to fight temptation to up his dosage of HGH.

Maybe he had valid prescriptions? I am not sure - it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. It doesnt seem like an 82mph fastball relying on movement is the type of pitching style that needs HGH.