Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    I am always stunned that ol' Roy always belittles one or more of his players in every interview, while never failing to mention by analogy how big, bad, and mean he is himself. Has there ever been a coach who conducted himself this way? His idol, Dean Smith, would never have put down the play of one of his players, and never would K. How does he get away with this?

Probably nobody but us is actually listening to him. His "fanbase" chews with their mouths open and can't hear what he says anyway.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, he's definitely not their most important player. Berry and Pinson are easily more important. He's had two very good games against inferior competition. I would recommend reserving judgment until he plays against a major-conference opponent.
    Well not just this year- but what he did last year in the tourney. The kid can really shoot- from multiple places on the floor- has good instincts and rebounds well (perhaps he is country strong). I have seen enough of him to know that he is a very good college player and certainly way better than anyone thought upon entry into UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well not just this year- but what he did last year in the tourney. The kid can really shoot- from multiple places on the floor- has good instincts and rebounds well (perhaps he is country strong). I have seen enough of him to know that he is a very good college player and certainly way better than anyone thought upon entry into UNC.
    I completely agree. My disagreement was/is only with the statement that he is their most important player.

The announcers at the UNC-Stanford game just said 10 words that have never been said before in this exact combination: “I’d like to welcome you to the Kenny Williams show.”

Williams, a career 32% shooter from 3, is 6-7 from long range and has 20 points in the first ten minutes of this game. Wow...

Jason “no way he keeps it up... bet he finishes with less than 30 points on the game” Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

He has not scored again. To be fair he was 4-8 on 3’s in the first two games of this year. It’s funny, I would expect Stanford to have an easier tome in basketball than football because you need fewer players to get past admissions, but the opposite is true.

Here’s a weird stat. UNC attempted more threes in the first half (18) than Duke did in the Furman game (17).

This UNC team feels like a Duke team in November. This Duke team feels like an UNC team in March.

Jason Nostradamus

In fact Kenny Williams finished the game with 20 and did not score in the last 3/4s of the game.

i just wanted to take umbrage withe front page article about the UNC game vs Stanford, when the author said that UNC's inside game was shabby, or something like that. While it's true that their starting big man did next to nothing, i think he missed his only shot with no other stats, the bigs off the bench played quite well, going for 15 points on 5-6 FGs. Stanford is a decent team from a major conference so it's not like the bench bigs were teeing off on patsies.
    I'm not trying to say that UNC's bigs are gonna be a major threat or anything, but to dis them as worthless per the results of this game is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    i just wanted to take umbrage withe front page article about the UNC game vs Stanford, when the author said that UNC's inside game was shabby, or something like that. While it's true that their starting big man did next to nothing, i think he missed his only shot with no other stats, the bigs off the bench played quite well, going for 15 points on 5-6 FGs. Stanford is a decent team from a major conference so it's not like the bench bigs were teeing off on patsies.
    I'm not trying to say that UNC's bigs are gonna be a major threat or anything, but to dis them as worthless per the results of this game is foolish.
    Plus, Carolina was having major success from the outside. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Heels perimeter game was working in a big way and that is where their most reliable players play... why is it some fatal flaw for them to take advantage of that and ignore the interior a bit? The TarHeels merrily bombed away and ran a decent P5 team out of the building (24 point win!) and yet there was some huge problem revealed in this game. Naaah, I'm not buying it.

Look, I was among the folks who thought the Heels would be worse than expected this year. I looked forward to their struggles in the ACC as some kind of karmic payback for their shameless lies to the NCAA. I am very sad to report that, thus far, it ain't happening. They are 3-0 and truly look like a legit top 15 or so kinda team. The wheels could still come off (please, please, please) but I have a hard time looking at a 24 point demolition of Stanford for signs of a shaky axle.

-Jason "will be interesting to see how they do without Cam in the PK80... they face legit competition in rounds 2 and 3 of their bracket" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Plus, Carolina was having major success from the outside. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Heels perimeter game was working in a big way and that is where their most reliable players play... why is it some fatal flaw for them to take advantage of that and ignore the interior a bit? The TarHeels merrily bombed away and ran a decent P5 team out of the building (24 point win!) and yet there was some huge problem revealed in this game. Naaah, I'm not buying it.

Look, I was among the folks who thought the Heels would be worse than expected this year. I looked forward to their struggles in the ACC as some kind of karmic payback for their shameless lies to the NCAA. I am very sad to report that, thus far, it ain't happening. They are 3-0 and truly look like a legit top 15 or so kinda team. The wheels could still come off (please, please, please) but I have a hard time looking at a 24 point demolition of Stanford for signs of a shaky axle.

-Jason "will be interesting to see how they do without Cam in the PK80... they face legit competition in rounds 2 and 3 of their bracket" Evans
    I think they are riding a wagon that is rolling pretty good, but there's no lug nuts on the wheels. I expect the wheels to fall off when they get a real team in front of them. What do I expect for UNC in PK80? Pain. And finger pointing. And Roy loses his Christmas spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Yeah, I actually replied on the front page article. I'd take 15/11, 5-7 from field and 5-5 from the line in 33 minutes from the weakest spot in the lineup any time. And Stanford's front court has some vet bigs in Travis and Humphrey. Travis go caught for stiff-arming Manley in the neck late. Looks like he wasn't happy getting beat.

But a big problem is 12 fouls by the baby bigs in those 33 minutes.

BTW, Williams is now 35% roughly for his career. And came in with a shooter's rep. Maybe he makes the junior leap like Jackson last year, who was sub 30% each of his 2 years. He'll never touch that floater, but his shot looks good.

Still feels like we are in the running for 2nd place, not 1st. Duke just looks scary good. The 2 freshmen bigs are beasts, Trent looks good, Allen looks even better than soph Allen, you have a real point now and a good one, and depth. There are always bumps in the road but by March the youngsters will be vets.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think they are riding a wagon that is rolling pretty good, but there's no lug nuts on the wheels. I expect the wheels to fall off when they get a real team in front of them. What do I expect for UNC in PK80? Pain. And finger pointing. And Roy loses his Christmas spirit.
    what's the over/under on how many players end up with bus tire tracks on their jerseys?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Okay - this thread has served it's purpose. Now that the season is underway, please direct discussion of the Tarheels to the weekly "This Week in the ACC" thread. The latest version is here: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...CC-11-20-11-26

This thread is CLOSED.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”