Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Buying (or stealing) Louis Vuitton is not about projecting wealth or status, it's announcing to the world you have absolutely no taste. I'd sooner carry around my possessions in a plastic bag from Food Lion. Let's not bury the lead here.
    Crimes against fashion. Serious stuff.

In all seriousness, though, this is not a good sign for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    "LaVar Ball; his wife, Tina; and son LaMelo Ball were having breakfast with the UCLA team in Shanghai on Wednesday morning. LaVar was expected to address the media from his hotel suite Wednesday morning in Shanghai, but he said he was advised by legal counsel not to speak "due to the legal nature of the matter.""

"Ball, Riley and Hill were released around 4 a.m. Wednesday and were staying at a luxury hotel in Hangzhou along with a UCLA representative, according to a source.?They are being required by Hangzhou police to remain at the hotel until the legal process is over, the source said."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/uclas-l...ry?id=51008466
    Finally something shut him up, but it's not funny for those kids. This is how teenagers think, ten foot tall and bullet proof. Maybe this is a wake up call for all 3 kids. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm interested to see how UCLA handles this situation longterm:

Committing crimes overseas is serious business. Many other countries are much less tolerant of crimes we in the United States consider minor offenses. The State Department will probably have to get involved here to secure these guys release.
    If they have hard evidence (like a video) and if China let's them go with US intervention- UCLA will need to suspend. A very bad choice by these kids.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Buying (or stealing) Louis Vuitton is not about projecting wealth or status, it's announcing to the world you have absolutely no taste. I'd sooner carry around my possessions in a plastic bag from Food Lion. Let's not bury the lead here.
    It was a joke to reference that Liangelos father once said that if you can't afford the shoes that you obviously aren't a Big Baller.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    "LaVar Ball; his wife, Tina; and son LaMelo Ball were having breakfast with the UCLA team in Shanghai on Wednesday morning. LaVar was expected to address the media from his hotel suite Wednesday morning in Shanghai, but he said he was advised by legal counsel not to speak "due to the legal nature of the matter.""

"Ball, Riley and Hill were released around 4 a.m. Wednesday and were staying at a luxury hotel in Hangzhou along with a UCLA representative, according to a source.?They are being required by Hangzhou police to remain at the hotel until the legal process is over, the source said."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/uclas-l...ry?id=51008466
    Someone should advise him to not ever speak because he is a narcissistic moron. I love that it references that he is addressing the media from his suite. Because LaVar Ball does not do anything that is not first class...

It is too bad that Duke stopped the series with UCLA many years ago as I would hope that the Crazies would have a lot of fun with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Finally something shut him up, but it's not funny for those kids. This is how teenagers think, ten foot tall and bullet proof. Maybe this is a wake up call for all 3 kids. GoDuke!
    Indeed. And hopefully that is all it is. I would not want to be a young kid accused of crime in China. I wonder if they face time in prison?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Indeed. And hopefully that is all it is. I would not want to be a young kid accused of crime in China. I wonder if they face time in prison?
    They could.
    Following news of the arrests, Yahoo Sports’ Dan Wetzel did some analysis of the potential legal consequences. He was told the athletes could face 3-10 years if convicted.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The article was a little unclear exactly what LaMelo Ball’s relationship is with his father’s company. But there’s no doubt that the company is marketing shoes using his name. And there is also little doubt that the Lamborghini that LaMelo received on his 16th birthday came from his father. I don’t really think he is going to try to pretend that the prohibition against marketing his name can be circumvented by simply having his father be the person who enters into the transaction. Rather, their attitude can be understood from a statement made by his father, LaVar:

"He's going to have a shoe," LaVar told Baxter Holmes of ESPN. "NCAA ain't going to tell me sh-t. …”
    If they take the case to court it will be in the 9th Circuit, the same court that decided O’Bannon. But there’s already been a case filed ahead of them: Jenkins v. NCAA. Jenkins is trying to get the court to prevent the NCAA from enforcing the amateurism rules, and his case is being heard by the exact same trial judge that heard O’Bannon. That judge was very favorable to O’Bannon, ruling that the NCAA had to allow its members (a) to give scholarships up to the full cost of attendance, and (b) to pay cash compensation up to $5,000 per year in deferred compensation, to be held in trust for student-athletes. The NCAA appealed and the Court of Appeals reversed (b), saying that “The difference between offering student-athletes education-related compensation and offering them cash sums untethered to educational expenses is not minor; it is a quantum leap.” (Since O’Bannon partially prevailed on the antitrust suit the NCAA had to pay attorney’s fees and costs of $42.3 million, making such cases a potentially nice payday for plaintiffs’ attorneys.)

The NCAA then argued that based on O'Bannon, Jenkins had to lose but the judge ruled that the Court of Appeals ruling “simply forecloses one type of relief plaintiffs previously sought: cash compensation untethered to educational expenses.” So the trial judge still thinks she’s right, but it looks like an uphill battle given the last ruling from the Court of Appeals, which said:

Both we and the district court agree that the NCAA’s amateurism rule has procompetitive benefits. But in finding that paying students cash compensation would promote amateurism as effectively as not paying them, the district court ignored that not paying student-athletes is precisely what makes them amateurs.

Having found that amateurism is integral to the NCAA’s market, the district court cannot plausibly conclude that being a poorly-paid professional collegiate athlete is “virtually as effective” for that market as being as amateur. Or, to borrow the Supreme Court’s analogy, the market for college football is distinct from other sports markets and must be “differentiate[d]” from professional sports lest it become “minor league [football].” Bd. of Regents, 468 U.S. at 102.
    Furthermore, other circuits have answered the question differently, ruling entirely in favor of the NCAA. If Jenkins does manage to win in the trial court and to get the Court of Appeals to change its view then we’ll have another appeal to the Supreme Court. I can’t see all this happening in time to help LeMelo Ball retain his eligibility to play college basketball, at least for his freshman year.

JD's Article

Can someone please translate Julio's front page article:

"At some point during the late morning or early afternoon, Pastner found out that the Chinese police had detained three of his players in a shoplifting probe."

How are they Josh's players?

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

"At some point during the late morning or early afternoon, Pastner found out that the Chinese police had detained three of his players in a shoplifting probe."

Three Georgia Tech players were questioned by police, but not charged. Three UCLA players have bigger problems.

"Police were called to the hotel shared by the Georgia Tech and UCLA teams, and three players for the Yellow Jackets were questioned and cleared."

A link to one story.

Could have said questioned but when the local police in China drop by your hotel for a chat I would not like your chances if you said no thanks I do not care to talk with you

Local police were called to the team hotel for both UCLA and Georgia Tech on Tuesday morning to investigate an unknown matter. Three Tech basketball players were questioned and cleared, according to a statement from the school...

The Tech team was set to leave for practice around 8:30 a.m., but players were eventually directed to a conference room reserved for team meals and then were taken to an unscheduled study hall. The three aforementioned players were not present.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/...v4zBPAiHOod9O/

Thanks. Every young person who goes overseas should watch episodes of Locked Up Abroad first. Or video of that kid who tossed his gum on the street in Singapore. The freedoms we take for granted do not apply "over there."

Thanks. Every young person who goes overseas should watch episodes of Locked Up Abroad first. Or video of that kid who tossed his gum on the street in Singapore. The freedoms we take for granted do not apply "over there."
    Every young person who goes overseas should exercise common sense. I have lived overseas for the last 17 years as a foreign national in the US. This means I observe and obey local laws more than when I'm in my home country. The consequences of breaking the law for a visitor are greater than for a local in most countries, and especially the US.

It appears that LaMelo Ball may have begun using Dennis Rodman's haberdasher (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Anywhere, anytime, I'd rather hang with Rodman that any of the Ball clan. Bustier bodysuit or not. At least Dennis was a legit talent with the rings to prove it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

So a dozen or so very tall African Americans amble about a store in China...I would've thought they'd have blended right in! Can't imagine why they got noticed...
    Good news for them is that the Chinese Prez is presiding over a love fest for Trump this week, they've got nothing to worry about (except embarrassment).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So a dozen or so very tall African Americans amble about a store in China...I would've thought they'd have blended right in! Can't imagine why they got noticed...
    Good news for them is that the Chinese Prez is presiding over a love fest for Trump this week, they've got nothing to worry about (except embarrassment).
    Anybody in the Ball family has to have a high threshold of embarrassment in the first place.

Or Midnight Express.

On a high school trip we were on a Greek cruise ship in the Mediterranean. We goofed off late one night and shot some ship ashtrays off the skeet thrower. Got called into the captain's office. He put a good scare in us.

Quote Originally Posted by wobatus View Post
    Or Midnight Express.

On a high school trip we were on a Greek cruise ship in the Mediterranean. We goofed off late one night and shot some ship ashtrays off the skeet thrower. Got called into the captain's office. He put a good scare in us.
    I was in Moscow in 2001 (pre-9/11). Standing with schoolmates near Red Square we had police approach us and ask to see our passports. Without looking at them, they put the passports in their back pocket and explained that since one in our group was smoking, we were subject to a $20 (US, conveniently) fine. We could settle it right now, or we could go to the police station.

Needless to say, we paid the money and were happy to see our passports again.

Don't eff with foreign police, it can actually ruin your life.

This is a terrible photograph (on the left). Did they go to Walmart or something like that? As a photographer, this offends me.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    It appears that LaMelo Ball may have begun using Dennis Rodman's haberdasher (not that there's anything wrong with that).