Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    If you are going to leave off Dan Marino because you're having difficulty defining "athletic" then how do you include Tom Brady?
    Yeah, there are definitely some problems with the internal logic of this list. Also, if GQ is going with the definition of "physical dynamism that reinvents a sport," why shouldn't this list be littered with track-and-field world record holders? When Usain Bolt runs a 9.58 in the 100 meters, is he not physically dynamic and reinventing our belief in how fast a human being can run? Also, from a practical standpoint, it's a complete joke how much more athletic the track-and-field stars are compared to athletes who play a sport, even guys like Lebron and Jordan.

Here's a clip of Mike Conley Sr dunking from clear behind the free throw line. Lol, that's nuts. (In case you're wondering, Dr. J was in front of the line and Jordan was on the line when they completed their iconic "free throw line" dunks).

Thank you OPK for mentioning the great Spanish cyclist Miguel Indurain. He definitely makes my list, alongside the greatest cyclist ever, Belgian Eddy Merckx. Among currently competing cyclists, I can make a case for Peter Sagan, but I concede that a list of only 50 is rightfully limited. The same concession applies to Jeannie Longo and Rebecca Twigg, who both had long and exciting careers in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    .Here's a clip of Mike Conley Sr dunking from clear behind the free throw line.
    Random question - has an Olympic long jumper ever tried to compete in some sort of dunk competition? How big a deal would it be for them to dunk from the free throw line? I know MP3 competed in the high jump in high school, but I'm always curious about how skills would cross over between sports. If someone like Deion Sanders competed against Olympic sprinters, would he be in the same ballpark or would they totally blow him out of the water?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If someone like Deion Sanders competed against Olympic sprinters, would he be in the same ballpark or would they totally blow him out of the water?
    They would blow him out of the water. You might remember a few months ago a Bengals rookie boasted that he could beat Usain Bolt in the 40-yard-dash after running a 4.22 at the scouting combine. (Note: Deion ran a 4.27 back in his day). Well, in response, a college sprinter at Tennessee who's an excellent runner -- 9.95 in the 100 meters, but nothing special like Bolt -- tested himself and ran a 4.12 40-yard-dash. The Olympic level athletes are the freakiest of freaks, especially if they hold a world record.

Random question - has an Olympic long jumper ever tried to compete in some sort of dunk competition? How big a deal would it be for them to dunk from the free throw line? I know MP3 competed in the high jump in high school, but I'm always curious about how skills would cross over between sports. If someone like Deion Sanders competed against Olympic sprinters, would he be in the same ballpark or would they totally blow him out of the water?
    My snarky comment is that Carl Lewis (and other runners and jumpers) may be handicapped by not being able to palm a basketball.

Otherwise, hoops players train many hours a day year-around on basketball skills with a couple of hours on strength and more general athleticism. World-class track athletes train every day, mostly in developing the skills of their sport -- speed, jumping, running form. A "dunk contest" represents less than one percent of what a basketball player needs to do -- much less important than "court vision," for example, which takes a long time to develop.

This is a really dumb post. I'll try to do better next time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My snarky comment is that Carl Lewis (and other runners and jumpers) may be handicapped by not being able to palm a basketball.
    I believe Carl Lewis was known for having fairly big hands. I bet he could palm a basketball fairly easily if he bothered to try.

-Jason "Carl was 6-2, not crazy tall but big enough that if his hands were even normal for his height he could probably palm a basketball" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

bob beamon jumped 29'2+"

The distance from the NBA three point line to the baseline is ~28'

Bob beamon could jump from the NBA three point line at the top of the key....to beyond the baseline. that's nuts. just stand on even a college court...right at the top of the 3 point line...and look where the baseline is.

They would have to slightly adjust their takeoff angle, but dunking from beyond the FT line for a world-class long jumper should be largely trivial. Just imagine....if he took off from the FT line, at the time he got to the rim, he'd only be halfway through his jump...so at his maximum height already.

I take back that he'd even have to adjust his takeoff angle. watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc pause the video during his jump. He probably would have straight up slammed into the backboard.

Deion Sanders would get obliterated in a world-class 100m. https://web.stanford.edu/~clint/100m_nfl.htm he wouldn't have even made it out of the heats in rio with his PB: https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ol.../heats/summary

Olympic track and field athletes are absolutely incredible.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    bob beamon jumped 29'2+"

The distance from the NBA three point line to the baseline is ~28'

Bob beamon could jump from the NBA three point line at the top of the key...to beyond the baseline. that's nuts. just stand on even a college court...right at the top of the 3 point line...and look where the baseline is.

They would have to slightly adjust their takeoff angle, but dunking from beyond the FT line for a world-class long jumper should be largely trivial. Just imagine...if he took off from the FT line, at the time he got to the rim, he'd only be halfway through his jump...so at his maximum height already.

I take back that he'd even have to adjust his takeoff angle. watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc pause the video during his jump. He probably would have straight up slammed into the backboard.

Deion Sanders would get obliterated in a world-class 100m. https://web.stanford.edu/~clint/100m_nfl.htm he wouldn't have even made it out of the heats in rio with his PB: https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ol.../heats/summary

Olympic track and field athletes are absolutely incredible.
    Yeah...this is one of my biggest pet peeves in comparing athletes across sports. Just because Lebron is amazing at basketball does not mean he'd be amazing at soccer (sooooooooo many people suggest this. It's very annoying). Fast players in most non-track and field sports would get, as you mentioned, obliterated in world-class sprinting. Move NBAers would get obliterated in the high jump. It's not just skill but technique and years upon years of practice and understanding the game.

Usain Bolt is the fastest man alive with okay soccer skills and he has no chance to make it to a top league team (he's "practicing" with Dortmund right now. And the head of the club basically stated Usain has no chance to play there).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    (he's "practicing" with Dortmund right now. And the head of the club basically stated Usain has no chance to play there).
    the tim tebow of soccer!
    April 1

OK, I'll cut you some slack on Carl Lewis, But then there's Bob Hayes of US Olympics (100 meter gold) and the Cowboys in the NFL: He was often described as "ten-flat speed and twelve-flat hands."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Honnold should be at the top of the list... Though in all fairness, maybe they didn't spent him too live long enough for it to be published. As they say in his sport, there are no old free climbers only young free climbers and retired free climbers.

I would probably favor athletes who have shown excellence at more than one sport. His life Tim Duncan who was World class swimmer before Hurricane Hugo wrecked his pool and he took up basketball. Our guys like Jordan who despite not being an MLB player was still good enough to play in the minutes and definitely someone like Bo Jackson who was great at both sports.

Id also put that cross fit freak in this list... What's his name? You've got to be in some serious shape to participate in that sport.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah...this is one of my biggest pet peeves in comparing athletes across sports. Just because Lebron is amazing at basketball does not mean he'd be amazing at soccer (sooooooooo many people suggest this. It's very annoying). Fast players in most non-track and field sports would get, as you mentioned, obliterated in world-class sprinting. Move NBAers would get obliterated in the high jump. It's not just skill but technique and years upon years of practice and understanding the game.

Usain Bolt is the fastest man alive with okay soccer skills and he has no chance to make it to a top league team (he's "practicing" with Dortmund right now. And the head of the club basically stated Usain has no chance to play there).
    I think it's fun to think of LeBron grew up playing soccer and wanting to be the next Pele or Renaldo... How good could he have been? I don't think anyone wants to watch LeBron play soccer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to watch LeBron play soccer right now.
    dunno...do you think he'd know which goal to kick the ball in against trinidad and tobago? If so, I'd love to be watching lebron play soccer right now.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    dunno...do you think he'd know which goal to kick the ball in against trinidad and tobago? If so, I'd love to be watching lebron play soccer right now.
    You mean we had to pay TWO countries? Doesn't seem fair.

No Brett Favre, no Larry Bird = bogus...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    No Brett Favre, no Larry Bird = bogus...
    Favre is not in the top 500.

Chris Sharma should be in there ....climbing the impossible...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

3 time NCAA champion, world champion, Olympic gold medalist Dan Gable

Lebron = athlete
    Phelps
    Bolt

But tiger and brady? Having trouble with the definition of athlete is right...
    I would wager that I am more athletic than Tom Brady seeing as how I can run and jump and things of that sort...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    Lebron = athlete
    Phelps
    Bolt

But tiger and brady? Having trouble with the definition of athlete is right...
    I would wager that I am more athletic than Tom Brady seeing as how I can run and jump and things of that sort...
    No offence, but I'm going to guess that Tom Brady is a better athlete than you. He seems to run and jump enough to keep chains moving and keep playing most weeks over the last 15ish years.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”