Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Dislocated ankle and fractured tibia, says Brad Stevens. Yuck. No fun...

But also reports of no ligament damage. Hard to know if they know (and release) everything this quickly...
    Almost certainly don't know about ligament damage yet. Will need an MRI for that, probably tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I only caught some of the game but wasn't Brown the primary defender of Lebron?
    4 players tried to guard Lebron. It’s never really a one-man assignment.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I don't think you can dislocate an ankle without ligament damage, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    I don't think you can dislocate an ankle without ligament damage, unfortunately.
    Some surprisingly good news here if it can be believed, but like CDu says it seems a bit too early:

Per @celticsvoice on @NBCSBoston, "early word on the fracture is that it's clean...doesn't appear to be ligament or blood vessel damage."

https://twitter.com/adammkaufman/sta...78248773017600

I'm glad I didn't get home in time to actually see the injury in-game...

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Some surprisingly good news here if it can be believed, but like CDu says it seems a bit too early:

Per @celticsvoice on @NBCSBoston, "early word on the fracture is that it's clean...doesn't appear to be ligament or blood vessel damage."

https://twitter.com/adammkaufman/sta...78248773017600

I'm glad I didn't get home in time to actually see the injury in-game...
    Well, then maybe the ankle "dislocation" is really just a fracture with displacement of bony fragments because I don't see how you could have true dislocation at the ankle joint without damaging any ligaments. That seems physically impossible since the ligaments are what hold the ankle joint together in the first place. But Brad Stevens may not be hip to the latest medical lingo.

Was hoping Dontea Grand would get some playing time for the Cavs last night. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I really hate that Gordon got hurt. I haven't seen the injury, hope I never do. I can still see the Ware and George injuries. Some things you can't un-see.
    Truly awful. Feel so bad for him. It’s the kind of injury that only Daniel Tosh would show again.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls - an organization that prides itself on "interdepartmental communication" and "culture" - are putting themselves in the running for most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

After trading Jimmy Butler for pennies on the dollar (a trade they turned down a year ago after which the key returns got worse and Butler got better), they drafted another perimeter-oriented PF. Then they re-signed their mediocre and inconsistent PF (Mirotic), to go along with signing a backup C (Felicio), to go along with a frontcourt that also has a first-round PF from 2 years ago (Portis), their starting C (Lopez), and their new lottery-pick PF. Makes sense.

Now, apparently in a scuffle during practice, Portis knocked Mirotic out with a punch and broke his face. I guess that's one way to solve a log-jam in the frontcourt.

Per his running analysis last night on the Twitter machine, Dr. David Chao (@ProFootballDoc, former ortho in the NFL) prognosticates that Heyward would have the ankle reduced (popped back into place) immediately, and then have surgery at some later point--this is key, because as we saw after the Shaun Livingston injury (also an ankle dislocation), there was a need for immediate surgery with risk to blood vessels and loss of limb. The claim of no ligament damage is likely inaccurate with an injury like this.

He later goes on to suggest that Heyward could potentially be back, at sub-100%, for this season's playoffs, but would have an opportunity to be stronger for the 2018-19 season. So, take that FWIW from a professional in the field based on video analysis of the injury.
    Last edited by English; 10-18-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Per his running analysis last night on the Twitter machine, Dr. David Chao (@ProFootballDoc, former ortho in the NFL) prognosticates that Heyward would have the ankle reduced (popped back into place) immediately, and then have surgery at some later point--this is key, because as we saw after the Shaun Livingston injury (also an ankle dislocation), there was a need for immediate surgery with risk to blood vessels and loss of limb. The claim of no ligament damage is likely inaccurate with an injury like this.

He later goes on to suggest that Heyward could potentially be back, at sub-100%, for this season's playoffs, but would have an opportunity to be stronger for the 2018-19 season. So, take that FWIW from a professional in the field based on video analysis of the injury.
    If this Dr's job is watching these videos and providing diagnosis, I do not envy his job. I saw that injury live and absolutely refuse to watch it again.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls - an organization that prides itself on "interdepartmental communication" and "culture" - are putting themselves in the running for most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

After trading Jimmy Butler for pennies on the dollar (a trade they turned down a year ago after which the key returns got worse and Butler got better), they drafted another perimeter-oriented PF. Then they re-signed their mediocre and inconsistent PF (Mirotic), to go along with signing a backup C (Felicio), to go along with a frontcourt that also has a first-round PF from 2 years ago (Portis), their starting C (Lopez), and their new lottery-pick PF. Makes sense.

Now, apparently in a scuffle during practice, Portis knocked Mirotic out with a punch and broke his face. I guess that's one way to solve a log-jam in the frontcourt.
    Hey - at least the Bulls hold on to their #1 pick this year. Which means they will draft either an SF, PF, or C. Chances they go with another PF?

horrible about gordon...

but kyrie and the youngsters almost pulled it off....

oh, and HAHAHAHAHAHAHA at the warriors...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

One of the morning shows confirmed the ankle was reset in the Cavs locker room. Best of luck to Gordon. By all accounts a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    <snip>

...then six minutes in that's taken away from them. Now you have to wait a year (probably) to see Hayward play and you probably have no realistic shot at contending. A whole year of watching games with an eye towards contending...gone. Just like that.

<snip>
    Yeah, well, that's 6 minutes more than us Knicks fans have gotten in the past, oh I dunno, 17 years or so.

Give or take one 50-win season.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Hey - at least the Bulls hold on to their #1 pick this year. Which means they will draft either an SF, PF, or C. Chances they go with another PF?
    Probably not a PF. The cynical view is that they identify whomever is a soon-to-be free agent, and draft that spot.

Back when Deng was entering his contract year, they drafted Butler. When Butler's contract year came, they reached for Snell. This was a Mirotic contract year, so they drafted Markkanen.

So who is on the clock now? Zach Lavine. So I am thinking they will reach for a SG.

Well. Maybe you can have an ankle dislocation without ligament injury? If they popped it back in, it must have been dislocated. Not sure how they could have determined that without an MRI, but I'm no orthopedic surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If this Dr's job is watching these videos and providing diagnosis, I do not envy his job. I saw that injury live and absolutely refuse to watch it again.
    It's more like a hobby and secondary means of income (appearing on various sports talk shows to discuss injuries and likely recovery avenues), but yes, that's something he does with great frequency. He primarily specializes in football injuries, but dabbles across the sports gamut. His "day job" is as a practicing orthopedic surgeon.

Coincidentally, if you thought the Heyward injury was brutal to watch in slow-mo detail (which it certainly was), the injury he'd previously analyzed was the Colts' Robert Turbin dislocating his left elbow on a play Monday night, wherein it literally bent at a 90-degree angle in the wrong direction. That was, ummm, also not for the fainthearted. Turbin will likely miss a month or so.

It's more like a hobby and secondary means of income (appearing on various sports talk shows to discuss injuries and likely recovery avenues), but yes, that's something he does with great frequency. He primarily specializes in football injuries, but dabbles across the sports gamut. His "day job" is as a practicing orthopedic surgeon.
    Some controversy has followed him since his days as a doctor for the Chargers: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...106-story.html

Of note, many players have stood by him, including Nick Hardwick — someone I am inclined to trust.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Based on the last 2 seasons, I declare there is a 100% correlation between losing game 1 and winning the title, so all good... as long as the Draymond injury is nothing serious of course. I continue to believe Draymond and Steph are the heart-and-soul of the team far more so than KD is, and indeed Houston made its big run right after Draymond left the game.

A couple interesting lineup notes:

- The Warriors played almost everyone. The Rockets played only 8 guys, and really went after the Warriors b-teamers (Bell, Looney) on defense. Seems a bit harsh for opening night.
    - I think most of Houston's run also came with Paul on the bench. Hopefully his "knee soreness" thing is also nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    horrible about gordon...

but kyrie and the youngsters almost pulled it off...

Be careful about making fun of the Warriors too much. Kevin Durant might get upset and get on one of his alt-twitter accounts to tell you that he doesn't care one bit about what you have to say.