Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Was just at the mall for the first time in ages, waiting on new glasses (idiot puppy decided to munch on my spectacles). Saw a shirt in gag-worthy blue with a silhouette of a player in a 3 jersey, with the words "WHY YOU BE TRIPPIN?"

It is going to be a long season.
    He can have the shirt. We've got Grayson and subject-verb agreement.

For those of us not going. How can we see CTC?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I think it's going to be on ESPN3/WatchESPN.

Here's a link to it on ESPN's schedule: http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?...&type=upcoming

It's the third event listed under 'Basketball.' But make sure you move the calendar date to the 20th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...15204328042496

There is no smoke without fire. Javin is really getting hyped up.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

And they wouldn't put him front and center like that if he wasn't going to play.

I miss the floor-slapping once back on D waiting for the ball to be brought up (not while the ball is advanced past the D)

Nick Horvath 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Nick Horvath 2.0?
    My recollection is that Nick Horvath was hyped by fans, based on uncoached pickup games. Javin is being hyped by the Duke coaching staff and PR machine. That's a big difference, in my mind.

Also, IIRC, Nick was soft-spoken, while Javin has been presented as a vocal team leader. Another big difference.

I suppose we'll soon see whether the Javin hype is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My recollection is that Nick Horvath was hyped by fans, based on uncoached pickup games. Javin is being hyped by the Duke coaching staff and PR machine. That's a big difference, in my mind.

Also, IIRC, Nick was soft-spoken, while Javin has been presented as a vocal team leader. Another big difference.

Until Javin banks in a 3-pointer to win a game, he is no Nick Horvath...

I was mainly kidding. I think Javin will be a solid player this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Until Javin banks in a 3-pointer to win a game, he is no Nick Horvath...
    It didn't win a game, but that wild fast break layup he hit last year (which I can't currently find video of) might have been enough for him to scale Mt. Horvath.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Not really disagreeing with you, but the "PR machine" is MUCH larger now than it was during Nick's time.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    It didn't win a game, but that wild fast break layup he hit last year (which I can't currently find video of) might have been enough for him to scale Mt. Horvath.

Here's a link to the video.

As far as advanced analytics are concerned, it appears that Javin scored 2 points on zero shot attempts after Jan 1 last season. That is a true shooting percentage of infinity!

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    genius. does he get his profile carved into the summit?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    It seems you are all arguing a moot point--per SI's ACC preview, Javin isn't cracking the rotation, and it's JTucker we should be annointing:

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...gs-projections

That said, I'm not sure how SI arrives at its basic and advanced-ish stats, but that wouldn't be an unheard of rotation given the assumption that neither Marvin nor Javin can adequately play the 3. I disagree, but thought I would share nonetheless.

The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in seeing how much Wendell Carter stands out. Here's the #7 recruit, an almost certain one-and-done, and we're hardly talking about him.

If our lineup is Trevon/Grayson/Gary/Marvin/Wendell, then Wendell would be the 4th or 5th option on offense (which alone is pretty crazy). Will he have room to operate down low? How often will he get the ball? And if we play three bigs together, will that only clog things up further, making Wendell that much less effective? Will he be able to dominate, or will Marvin (and maybe Marques too) overshadow him?

And on defense, will he be erasing his teammates' mistakes on D, or will they have to cover for his? Are his skills redundant to Marvin's and/or Marques's?

We've been assuming that both opposing defenses and offenses will have to pay a lot of attention to Wendell. If that's not true, the team's a lot different

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Here's a link to the video.

As far as advanced analytics are concerned, it appears that Javin scored 2 points on zero shot attempts after Jan 1 last season. That is a true shooting percentage of infinity!
    Haha, nice! I had forgotten that that happened in the NCAA tourney. I was thinking it happened during a conference game.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    He would, but the famous "Horvath Proboscis" rock formation leaves very little room for profile carvings.

Wendell will be a great rebounder on both ends, play good defense, and make smart passes. He will finish at the rim and get his share of garbage baskets.

But I agree it will be interesting to see how much the offense moves through him and how he's featured facing or back to the basket. He's got decent but not stellar post moves. And he's got a nice soft jumper but is it consistent enough to go to?

Even if he's not scoring 14 a game, I expect he will be hugely valuable for all the other things he brings.