View Poll Results: What happens tomorrow with the NCAA v UNC

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • UNC skates through some academic loophole and has minimal punishment. DBR is irate

23 21.30%
  • UNC suffers only in non basketball ways, perhaps firm words for Roy. DBR loses its mind.

45 41.67%
  • The NCAA announces a few banners come down and a post season ban. DBR still miffed

33 30.56%
  • The NCAA burns UNC athletics to the ground, some DBR member placated, the rest still not pleased

7 6.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Poll - Predict the NCAA Sanctions for UNC

20 hours til the bell tolls for UNC. Let's play the prediction game.
    Let's go Duke!

They skate like Brian Boitano at the '88 Winter Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
    The NCAA burns UNC athletics to the ground, some DBR member placated, the rest still not pleased
    That is a well-phrased option.

MBB -- vacate wins where an ineligible player participated (including post-season), although there will not be as many identified players as there should be. 2 year post-season ban. Loss of two scholarships for three years. Roy suspended for 10 games.
    FB -- vacate wins where an ineligible player participated, loss of some scholarships although calculated to be less of an impact than for MBB. No bowl this year. No suspension for the Hat.
    Others -- some form of the above. WBB, WSoc take biggest hits.

University -- 5 year probation, $475k fine, for lack of institutional control.

ETA: chose the third option although whether banners come down or not depends on evidence of specific players involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    That is a well-phrased option.
    I do what I can with what I have. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    They skate like Brian Boitano at the '88 Winter Olympics.

Cos that's what Brian Boitano dooooo

Prediction

Tomorrow, EVERYONE on DBR will have their own version of, "the NCAA is the most incompetent organization in the world".

UNC skates. No doubt in my mind.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Women's Basketball bears the brunt of the punishment, allowing them to say "UNC was punished" without tarnishing their prized Men's programs. Option 2ish.

We need 2 polls: What we think will happen, What should happen

I voted on the former, this poll. I think UNCheat gets lightly punished and men's hoops is spared. We lose our minds.

What I want to happen depends on the day and how much I've lost my mind:

Logical day: Look at transcripts. Every player that was kept eligible by bogus classes is declared ineligible. Every game in very sport played by an ineligible athlete is vacated/forfeited, etc. Loss of scholarships for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). Post season bans (multiple years) for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). UNCheat has to pay back any $$ received for making illegitimate post season appearances.
    (Note that even this is soft because it doesn't include players that were barely eligible without the fake classes but would have likely not been eligible had they take one more real class).

Illogical day: Burn the place, salt the ground, have the state legislature Ban that ugly light blue color

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

I voted on the former, this poll. I think UNCheat gets lightly punished and men's hoops is spared. We lose our minds.

What I want to happen depends on the day and how much I've lost my mind:

Logical day: Look at transcripts. Every player that was kept eligible by bogus classes is declared ineligible. Every game in very sport played by an ineligible athlete is vacated/forfeited, etc. Loss of scholarships for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). Post season bans (multiple years) for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). UNCheat has to pay back any $$ received for making illegitimate post season appearances.
    (Note that even this is soft because it doesn't include players that were barely eligible without the fake classes but would have likely not been eligible had they take one more real class).

Illogical day: Burn the place, salt the ground, have the state legislature Ban that ugly light blue color
    I say vacate all wins and records by teams with ineligible athletes (not punitive, just correcting the record), 22 year death penalty across all UNC athletics, and a $500 million dollar fine.

Honestly, if you look at the size of the offense compared to standard punishments handed down for lesser infractions, it's really not an outrageous penalty. If they were punished proportionately they'd be on probation well into the next millennium.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I like that, but polls are limited to 14 options and 100 characters...

NCAA is going to take one timeout per game away from Roy.
    Bob Green

In my mind it will be a travesty unless we have a scene somewhat resembling this one over at Chapel Hill, with Roy Williams being one of the principals.

Boy, the crowd is pessimistic here at the end.

Brain: NCAA has to hammer for its own existence to matter.

Heart: bastards get away with it.

So I've taken the middle road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    NCAA is going to take one timeout per game away from Roy.
    Roy's got an outstanding collection of aged timeouts of the finest vintage in his cellar. I hear they date all the way back to his days at Kansas.

The NCAA needs to start with the timeouts he has in reserve.

I completely gave up on polls late in the evening of November 8, 2016.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Wildest dream scenario: Three to five year death penalty for all sports involved (no schollies, no games). $100M fine for the "institution." (I know, it'll never happen.)

Harsh/deserved: (trying to go by the "book" and base this on penalty charts that were posted here several years ago which, of course, I can't recall) Vacate all wins/banners using ineligible players from 2002-2011-all sports. 5 years probation and 3 years tournament bans-all sports. 50% reduction scholarships and recruiting visits/contacts for 3 years-all sports-make their coaches/teams play with mostly "JV" players. Suspend baseball and women's soccer coaches for 1 year; ol roy 2 years and Sylvia 3 years; make the Hat coach a team with 50% less schollies as I think he's doing a fine job now () but is still a smug, lying SOB. $10M+ institutional fine. Return all NCAA revenue from the 9 year period.

Reality: half (or less) of what I proposed above because of sentences they've meted out against Minnesota (?), miami, USC, f$u and Syracuse in the recent past to be somewhat consistent. If they don't, they lose all (?) credibility and may as well cease to exist or, if they continue to exist, freely admit it's now open season for rampant academic and athletic cheating.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Tomorrow, EVERYONE on DBR will have their own version of, "the NCAA is the most incompetent organization in the world".

UNC skates. No doubt in my mind.
    Yeah, well. Who would have thought we would both be trying in vain to find some other team to root for in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Roy's got an outstanding collection of aged timeouts of the finest vintage in his cellar. I hear they date all the way back to his days at Kansas.

The NCAA needs to start with the timeouts he has in reserve.
    Is that the part of the Williams residence that Will Graves was occupying?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."