Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Also big ups to the JB Duke Hotel. Huge upgrade over the Thomas Center. Rooms in the Tower are comparable to a Westin. Thomas Center was more Courtyard by Marriott.

Downtown Derm also has it going on. Lots of new great eating/drinking options between DAP and the Hotel Durham.
    Reviews forthcoming?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The Jones substitutions seemed dumb prospectively and retrospectively. Unless they needed to talk to him about something, it's just an error.

The spearing call was obvious and could have change the game.

FSU used to joke that they should bring practice cleats to Duke.

We were a break or two away from a win. Regardless of what Cut said to his team, this was a solid game marked by a lot of terrific plays. We could win any or all of the rest of the games. I just don't understand the negativity after losing to FSU by a touchdown.

Also big ups to the JB Duke Hotel. Huge upgrade over the Thomas Center. Rooms in the Tower are comparable to a Westin. Thomas Center was more Courtyard by Marriott.

Downtown Derm also has it going on. Lots of new great eating/drinking options between DAP and the Hotel Durham.
    Downtown Derm is unrecognizable to us old-timers, with the exception of the CCB building, which now houses the 21 C Museum hotel. Five Points, everything else is gone -- not missed, of course, but gone.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Downtown Derm is unrecognizable to us old-timers, with the exception of the CCB building, which now houses the 21 C Museum hotel. Five Points, everything else is gone -- not missed, of course, but gone.
    Mateo Tapas in place of the Book Exchange is perfect. Yeah, downtown is amazing, especially relative to the old days. For me, the only recognizable thing is the NC Mutual Insurance building...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The Jones substitutions seemed dumb prospectively and retrospectively. Unless they needed to talk to him about something, it's just an error.

The spearing call was obvious and could have change the game.

FSU used to joke that they should bring practice cleats to Duke.

We were a break or two away from a win. Regardless of what Cut said to his team, this was a solid game marked by a lot of terrific plays. We could win any or all of the rest of the games. I just don't understand the negativity after losing to FSU by a touchdown.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. At the beginning of the season, this was a team that many projected as a 7-win team if folks stayed healthy, with a possibility of things swinging a game or two in either direction depending upon how the ball bounced on game day. Right now, we're still looking at a team that has a high probability of 7 wins, with the potential to swing in either direction depending upon how the ball bounces on game day. Miami and FSU were high probability losses coming into the season. UVa is the only surprise in the loss column, but not a big one—that's a rapidly improving Bronco Mendenhall team that we faced on the road, losing in a close battle.

I don't understand all the bellyaching from folks coming off of a 4-8 season. Could the passing game be better? Sure. Clearly, it's a work in progress. But I like what I see from both lines, particularly the defensive line (and linebackers)—ultimately, if you want to be an elite football team, you must build from the trenches. The goal this year is to get to a bowl and watch the youth movement mature. That's still well within our sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. At the beginning of the season, this was a team that many projected as a 7-win team if folks stayed healthy, with a possibility of things swinging a game or two in either direction depending upon how the ball bounced on game day. Right now, we're still looking at a team that has a high probability of 7 wins, with the potential to swing in either direction depending upon how the ball bounces on game day. Miami and FSU were high probability losses coming into the season. UVa is the only surprise in the loss column, but not a big one—that's a rapidly improving Bronco Mendenhall team that we faced on the road, losing in a close battle.

I don't understand all the bellyaching from folks coming off of a 4-8 season. Could the passing game be better? Sure. Clearly, it's a work in progress. But I like what I see from both lines, particularly the defensive line (and linebackers)—ultimately, if you want to be an elite football team, you must build from the trenches. The goal this year is to get to a bowl and watch the youth movement mature. That's still well within our sights.
    I understand and mostly agree with your points. The bellyaching is cause of the UVA game imo. The offense is that game was worse then bad!! Plus the play calling was really lousy in both the Miami and UVA games. If it wasn't for the Defense in the UVA game we would have been blown out cause our offense really did nothing. We scored 14 points cause of the defense and a great return by Wilson on a punt. I do agree this team is much improved and so much better then last year. I just would like to see a better called game offensively by our OC and our WR's catch the ball more. They are dropping still too many passes. Also with the 2 really good RB's we have we definitely should be running the ball more. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Reviews forthcoming?
    Ran into a crew of ~ 15 guys post-game who have a 30 year annual Duke football game streak going. Our annual Duke hoop streak only dates to the Have You Driven a Ford Lately game in '96. Only have Notre Dame and Lville left to see in CIS, so looking to expand into football too.

Used to always stay at the Thomas Center or Washington Duke, but Derm post-game options were limited, so we started staying in CH (treasonous, I know), since we could walk to multiple spots pre and post-game.

New options in Derm and Uber/Lyft are game changers, so we audibled out of our planned microbrew pub crawl and into outdoor seating options since the weather was perfect.

Plan was beers and appetizers at multiple outdoor spots. All had pretty good beers (with one notable exception which will detail in the beer thread).

Really liked Geer Street Garden: cool laid back vibe, good beers, schweeet patio.

Blue Note was pretty good: good beers/food, picnic tables out back, directly across the street from DAP.

Really liked the rooftop deck at the Durham Hotel, but did have a crappy beer. Curious how the rooms are since it's a great location for good weather football weekends. Same question about rooms at the 21C Museum Hotel.

Our crew loves Crunkleton in CH, so need to find a Derm craft cocktail alternative for a nightcap. Alley Twenty Six was promising: great food and really good drinks. Didn't hit Bar Virgile, but that might work too.

Best guess: downtown for football and JB Duke for hoops. Can walk/Uber along microbrew pub crawl in Jan/Feb when not feasible to sit outside.

Ran into a crew of ~ 15 guys post-game who have a 30 year annual Duke football game streak going. Our annual Duke hoop streak only dates to the Have You Driven a Ford Lately game in '96. Only have Notre Dame and Lville left to see in CIS, so looking to expand into football too.

Used to always stay at the Thomas Center or Washington Duke, but Derm post-game options were limited, so we started staying in CH (treasonous, I know), since we could walk to multiple spots pre and post-game.

New options in Derm and Uber/Lyft are game changers, so we audibled out of our planned microbrew pub crawl and into outdoor seating options since the weather was perfect.

Plan was beers and appetizers at multiple outdoor spots. All had pretty good beers (with one notable exception which will detail in the beer thread).

Really liked Geer Street Garden: cool laid back vibe, good beers, schweeet patio.

Blue Note was pretty good: good beers/food, picnic tables out back, directly across the street from DAP.

Really liked the rooftop deck at the Durham Hotel, but did have a crappy beer. Curious how the rooms are since it's a great location for good weather football weekends. Same question about rooms at the 21C Museum Hotel.

Our crew loves Crunkleton in CH, so need to find a Derm craft cocktail alternative for a nightcap. Alley Twenty Six was promising: great food and really good drinks. Didn't hit Bar Virgile, but that might work too.

Best guess: downtown for football and JB Duke for hoops. Can walk/Uber along microbrew pub crawl in Jan/Feb when not feasible to sit outside.
    Excellent info for downtown Derm as we have season tix for the DPAC and are always looking for pre-theatre dining/beverage options. Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

When did the Bull City pride hand gesture (fists together with thumbs out) start? We'd never seen it before, pretty cool.

When did the Bull City pride hand gesture (fists together with thumbs out) start? We'd never seen it before, pretty cool.
    I like it.
    April 1