Any reviews of new book on 83 State team?

I received an e-mail from Amazon about a 25th anniversary book on the 83 State team. After I got over feeling old, I wondered if this was something only a State fan could love, or if it would look at that team. While it may be a minority view here, I suspect Feinstein could do an excellent book on that,
    Anyone heard anything about it?

83 State

The author is Tim Peeler, who wrote for a number of North Carolina newspapers in the 80s and 90s and now works on N.C. State's website.

Tim in an NC State grad (now sure of the exact year, but sometime in the mid-1970s).

Tim's a good writer, so I suspect this will be a pretty entertaining book about one of the most entertaining teams in ACC history. I suspect you won't have to be a Wolfpack fan to enjoy it.

BTW, Barry Jacobs has a new book either just out or coming out soon -- a scholarly look at the players who broke the color line on basketball teams in the South. I heard there's some good stuff about CB Claiborne in there.

I've been waiting for a book like Barry Jacobs' for a while

Thought it would be a GREAT topic for someone to write on and completely fascinating. Glad to see it was someone like Barry Jacobs taken it on. (Though Al Featherston or Jim Sumner would have been great choices too )

I wonder how, if at all, the book will deal with the shadier side of basketball at State during JV's tenure. I guess most of that surfaced a few years after the championship, but I think it was substantial enough to tarnish his whole 10-year tenure. A total of three of Jim's players graduated from NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I wonder how, if at all, the book will deal with the shadier side of basketball at State during JV's tenure. I guess most of that surfaced a few years after the championship, but I think it was substantial enough to tarnish his whole 10-year tenure. A total of three of Jim's players graduated from NC State.
    V was a flawed character; just ask Rouland. The backcourt on that team, whether they graduated or not, that is the three guys (the two from DeMatha and Gannon, were/are all brilliant people. One of the bigs, a tall skinnish guy, went on to a long NBA career, if I am not misstaken; had to be bright. How much is a diploma from State worth anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Multiple copies of this widely discussed book are available in any used book store in central NC! People around here loves them some Jimmy V and didn't like it at all...

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Fouls.../dp/0881845264