Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Defense? We're talking about defense. How silly is that? I know it's important, but we're talking about defense. ...

Stevens will coach 'em up? The team is greater than the sum of the parts?
    I agree. Stevens took a B roster to the NCAA finals twice and a team of pros without a true superstar to the Easterns Conf finals. He has a way.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wait is it 2017 or 2019? Cause this line was supposed to come from the future.
    Happy to hear this, and good job by Boston to trade Crowder so they could open up playing time for Tatum and Brown. Now, they probably shouldn't have traded him to Cleveland and/or should've gotten better value for him a separate trade, but it's important to play and develop your overall #3 draft picks in Tatum and Brown.

Kyrie Irving Reportedly to Be Honored by Cavaliers on Opening Night vs. Celtics

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Duke players making the most dinheiro!

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/

VIEWING:

COLLEGE ACTIVE PLAYERS AVG 2017 CAP HIT EARNINGS
    Duke 32 $6,159,336 $766,519,845
    Kentucky 37 $4,957,371 $680,053,546
    Florida 18 $6,424,611 $631,899,246
    North Carolina 25 $4,528,002 $631,118,669
    Kansas 24 $3,538,778 $607,977,930
    Arizona 20
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

An interesting tactic by the Cavs organization. It'll be interesting to see the reception the fans give him.

Without a tribute video, I think he'd get booed, but perhaps this is the Cavs way of encouraging a more reasonable response from the crowd.

He was their #1 draft pick, became a star in Cleveland, and played a major part in their winning their first title. However, his departure, while not overtly hostile, was not on the best of terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/

VIEWING:

COLLEGE ACTIVE PLAYERS AVG 2017 CAP HIT EARNINGS
    Duke 32 $6,159,336 $766,519,845
    Kentucky 37 $4,957,371 $680,053,546
    Florida 18 $6,424,611 $631,899,246
    North Carolina 25 $4,528,002 $631,118,669
    Kansas 24 $3,538,778 $607,977,930
    Arizona 20
    Questionable accounting by Spotrac, but I suspect once the dust clears and someone compiles a real list, it will not be not too far off from that. Spotrac has its uses, but the real authority on matters related to NBA salary should be Basketball Insiders until ESPN fully establishes itself with its new staff.

Matt cut:-/

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-waive-three-101517/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento Kings announced today that the team has requested waivers on guards David Stockton, Matt Jones and Reggie Hearn
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Remember Carrick Felix? He's made the Wizards. I know he really isn't a Dukie, but I couldn't find a better fit in another thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1cd5e3a78b26
    Sweet story about Carrick in the link. Definitely overcame some serious setbacks. Now he has a Master's and is an app developer? Who'd a thought? Plus, Pac-12 defensive player of the year? Wow.

While Duke recruited and offered him as a JC transfer from Southern Idaho, his academic background was inadequate--an expected circumstance for an ADD kid. So Duke's Admissions office would not concur even though he wore the sweatshirt. This resulted in Herb Sendek stepping up from ASU. I'll bet Coach K helped that along.

Anyway, good luck to to Carrick. I hope he lives his NBA dream for some time to come. Looks to me like a true student athlete who succeeded where others could not. He may not be a Dukie, but he is more than a wannabe. We should admire his determination. I bet Sendek does.

According to Shams, Quinn and the Warriors have agreed to a two-way deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfi View Post
    I was so bummed yesterday to see Atlanta had waived him, but this just brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing!!!

Better than a one way deal!

Who or what is "Shams"?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Who or what is "Shams"?
    Shams Charania. Worked for RealGM.com, and then Woj brought him to Yahoo/The Vertical a few years back. He's considered the up-and-coming Woj by many.

I found this article from three months ago. Basically, it's a $75,000 G League contract, with the player eligible for up to 45 days in the NBA. Quinn, as a second year player, will earn at a rate above the article's reference to an NBA minimum of $816,000, maybe $1.3 million. It's kind of a "halfway house" to the NBA -- but better than the old D League contracts.

Here are the specific details for the new two-way contract:

They will act as a 16th and 17th roster spot for NBA teams beginning next season (2017-18).
    The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
    The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet. For the 2017-18 season, the G-League will represent 26 of the NBA’s 30 teams.
    The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons. While in the G-League, the player will make $75,000. It’s a significant increase from the current pay structure for G-Leaguers, who cannot make more than $26,000 with a one-way G-League deal.
    When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season. If a player spends 45 days in the NBA, he could make around $204,000.
    In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.

That’s a lot more money than the G-League has ever presented its players.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Questionable accounting by Spotrac, but I suspect once the dust clears and someone compiles a real list, it will not be not too far off from that. Spotrac has its uses, but the real authority on matters related to NBA salary should be Basketball Insiders until ESPN fully establishes itself with its new staff.
    The problem with the Sportrac numbers is they are including non-guaranteed monies in their totals. So, Ryan Kelly seems to be earning $1.5 mil this year even though he has been waived and will not make any of that money (unless he is signed by a new team). There are other head scratching things like Carlos Boozer earning $20 mil this season even though he has not been in the NBA for several years. Elton Brand is also shown as making NBA money this year, which seems incorrect. Not sure what Sportrac is doing here.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Shams Charania. Worked for RealGM.com, and then Woj brought him to Yahoo/The Vertical a few years back. He's considered the up-and-coming Woj by many.
    Thanks

The problem with the Sportrac numbers is they are including non-guaranteed monies in their totals. So, Ryan Kelly seems to be earning $1.5 mil this year even though he has been waived and will not make any of that money (unless he is signed by a new team). There are other head scratching things like Carlos Boozer earning $20 mil this season even though he has not been in the NBA for several years. Elton Brand is also shown as making NBA money this year, which seems incorrect. Not sure what Sportrac is doing here.
    Uncheats work there?

Did either Carlos or Elton restructure his deal to pay out over a much longer term?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Props to our guys who made opening night rosters:

Seth Curry and Josh McRoberts - Mavs, Luol Deng and Brandon Ingram - Lakers, Harry Giles - Kings, Rodney Hood - Jazz, Kyrie Irving and Jayson Tatum - Celtics, Frank Jackson - Pelicans, Tyus Jones - Wolves, Luke Kennard - Pistons, Jahlil Okafor and JJ Redick - 76ers, Jabari Parker - Bucks, Mason Plumlee - Nuggets, Miles Plumlee - Hawks, Austin Rivers - Clips, Kyle Singler - Thunder, Lance Thomas - Knicks, Justise Winslow - Heat

Also - props to former Dukie, Semi Ojeleye for making the Celtics.

"Keep on grinding!" to our guys who appeared in the NBA last year at some point but didn't make an opening night squad - Ryan Kelly, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee and Gerald Henderson. G was replaced by JJ in Philly but also had hip surgery that will likely have him out for the full year. At only 29 and a respected veteran, I think he'll be back on this list next year. I think Ryan already headed overseas. Quinn signed the two-way contract highlighted in a post above. Not sure if MPIII plans a D-League stint. Also, hope to see Amile and Matt in the G League after they made training camp rosters and were relatively late cuts. Maybe Andre Dawkins is still holding out hope stateside?

Not sure if Mike Dunleavy Jr. has retired after being cut loose by the Hawks. Nor Dahntay Jones after being released by the Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Props to our guys who made opening night rosters:

Seth Curry and Josh McRoberts - Mavs, Luol Deng and Brandon Ingram - Lakers, Harry Giles - Kings, Rodney Hood - Jazz, Kyrie Irving and Jayson Tatum - Celtics, Frank Jackson - Pelicans, Tyus Jones - Wolves, Luke Kennard - Pistons, Jahlil Okafor and JJ Redick - 76ers, Jabari Parker - Bucks, Mason Plumlee - Nuggets, Miles Plumlee - Hawks, Austin Rivers - Clips, Kyle Singler - Thunder, Lance Thomas - Knicks, Justise Winslow - Heat

Also - props to former Dukie, Semi Ojeleye for making the Celtics.

"Keep on grinding!" to our guys who appeared in the NBA last year at some point but didn't make an opening night squad - Ryan Kelly, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee and Gerald Henderson. G was replaced by JJ in Philly but also had hip surgery that will likely have him out for the full year. At only 29 and a respected veteran, I think he'll be back on this list next year. I think Ryan already headed overseas. Quinn signed the two-way contract highlighted in a post above. Not sure if MPIII plans a D-League stint. Also, hope to see Amile and Matt in the G League after they made training camp rosters and were relatively late cuts. Maybe Andre Dawkins is still holding out hope stateside?

Not sure if Mike Dunleavy Jr. has retired after being cut loose by the Hawks. Nor Dahntay Jones after being released by the Cavs.
    Love how many duos there are!