Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Re: the Kennard pic on the front page... apparently his first purchase was a tanning bed.
    Combo purchase with the same hair doctor LeBron and Daniel Tosh use. Amazing how money can stimulate hair growth.

does anyone else feel that fan attention has drifted away from "teams" and now centers on players? besides the warriors/cavs rivalry, who really cares about "teams"? i'm in the unfortunate situation of having to pull for many players that i like who play for teams that i traditionally HATED...

i can even enjoy watching the warriors some now (until they play the cavs) due to HWMFNSNBM having been traded...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    does anyone else feel that fan attention has drifted away from "teams" and now centers on players? besides the warriors/cavs rivalry, who really cares about "teams"? i'm in the unfortunate situation of having to pull for many players that i like who play for teams that i traditionally HATED...

i can even enjoy watching the warriors some now (until they play the cavs) due to HWMFNSNBM having been traded...
    No, you must root for the Celtics
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    per the front page article, it sounds like Jahlil has learned some important things, perhaps most importantly that being a professional in the public eye requires growing a thick skin. Sounds like he needs one of those Waterboy-moments to be an elite player, y'know the scene where the coach gets Sandler to imagine that the opposing team is always taunting his mama, which ignites Sandler to be some other-worldly defensive terror.
    Also, it sounds like one of the biggest criticisms against him, weight/conditioning, is something he's taken very seriously and lost 20 pounds. If so, additional quickness and mobility could really change the way he plays, and the way he's perceived. There's really nothing that can be done for his awareness and extincts, except experience.
    I hope Jahlil has a better season this year than last. The article paints Jahlil as a very sensitive dude, and perhaps he let that sensitivity to criticism and public perception negatively impact his play. He needs to take Obi-wan's lesson to Luke to heart: "Bury your feelings deep down (Jahlil), they do you credit, but they could be made to serve the (negative perceptions of a sh!* for brains fan)."
    I just want to stress that anyone who has not read the article about Jah, really needs to.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Kyrie insults Cleveland, lauds Boston

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ve-sports-city

Money quote:

Boston, I'm driving in and [thinking], 'I'm really playing in a real, live sports city?'
    Why, Kyrie, why? If Cleveland doesn't hate you already, they certainly do now. I agree with you - Boston is definitely a 'real, live sports city'. But why say that out loud?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ve-sports-city

Money quote:

Why, Kyrie, why? If Cleveland doesn't hate you already, they certainly do now. I agree with you - Boston is definitely a 'real, live sports city'. But why say that out loud?
    People in Cleveland had already made their decisions on Kyrie. I suspect he lost nothing with this quote, and made a lot of fans in Massachusetts.

I agree with you, but I bet if we put up a poll, it would be skewed as all of us here are Duke fans, first and foremost. The last NBA team I watched for reasons other than A: A Duke guy was playing, B: it was the playoffs, or C: It was just on in the room... Was the old school Charlotte Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just want to stress that anyone who has not read the article about Jah, really needs to.
    I'll be honest. I did not read the article since it was not by a writer I recognized or a major publication. But it is indeed a must-read for Okafor fans.

I'm really pulling for Big Jah. Probably more so than anyone else from the past few Duke teams.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I'll be honest. I did not read the article since it was not by a writer I recognized or a major publication. But it is indeed a must-read for Okafor fans.

I'm really pulling for Big Jah. Probably more so than anyone else from the past few Duke teams.
    Jordan Brenner used to write for ESPN and he did a nice article on how our team was stacked with big fellas a year ago. He was also author of the ESPN Giant Killer articles that tried to predict which smaller teams were likely to pull upsets in the NCAA tourney. He knows his stuff.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    People in Cleveland had already made their decisions on Kyrie. I suspect he lost nothing with this quote, and made a lot of fans in Massachusetts.
    It’s anecdotal but a lot of my friends (I was born and raised near Cleveland) generally still liked kyrie up until now. This quote really put the nail in the coffin for almost all of them. Cleveland is a die hard sports city. Ask any browns fan if they have ever given up on the team and you will see what I mean. Every year they think it will be their year to at least make the playoffs. Optimism doesn’t even describe it. People love to take shots at Cleveland in the media but 99% of them have never even lived in the area.

As a Duke fan/Kyrie fan, the quote actually made me quite pissed off. I still like kyrie and hope he does well in his career but I’ll no longer be watching or actively rooting for him.

Based on the additional quote below from the article, it seems Kyrie was commenting on the nightlife rather than the passion of the fans. Kyrie just doesn't speak with great clarity much of the time.

"A lot of different cultures, food and people. You get it all, especially in Boston," the All-Star point guard also said. "You would go to Cleveland and it would be at nighttime and things would be going on, but you just see a vast difference."

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    It’s anecdotal but a lot of my friends (I was born and raised near Cleveland) generally still liked kyrie up until now. This quote really put the nail in the coffin for almost all of them. Cleveland is a die hard sports city. Ask any browns fan if they have ever given up on the team and you will see what I mean. Every year they think it will be their year to at least make the playoffs. Optimism doesn’t even describe it. People love to take shots at Cleveland in the media but 99% of them have never even lived in the area.

As a Duke fan/Kyrie fan, the quote actually made me quite pissed off. I still like kyrie and hope he does well in his career but I’ll no longer be watching or actively rooting for him.
    Yup. Kyrie is a master at burning bridges with Cleveland.

So happy to have him in Boston, but he if leaves or gets traded, he's gonna stomp on Boston and their fans.

I've posted on various places about the deterioration of ESPN. Sportscenter used to be something that I really enjoyed because they covered the games. Now, they cover the players and not the games and thus not the teams. I don't know how many times I've seen a highlight where all we see is LeBron or Harden or Steph schooling guys and making great plays. In the 1 minute they cover a game, they will spend 57 seconds talking about the hyped players then the last 3 seconds you hear something like, team X won the game led by player Y with 37 points (of course player Y isn't LBJ, or the Beard or Steph). They have covered sports like this for about a decade now. So the next generation of fans just know 2 things: local teams, and hyped players. Remember back in the day when ESPN would show some highlights and then fill the screen with a panel that showed the top 3 scorers from both teams, the leading rebounder and leading assist guy right after they covered the actual game?

Agree about the Warriors. I love the style of ball they play and it was weird rooting for them to do well while simultaneously rooting for Harry Skype to miss every shot (like he did in the playoffs 2 years ago).

Matt Jones played a few minutes for SAC last night, got off a shot and missed it. Maybe they're keeping Matt around to keep Harry company, which if true would be a nice gesture. It remains to be seen how serious SAC is about Matt, but at least he's getting paid to play ball for a while.
    Also, SAC has Vince Carter, who was 0-6 FG, not that it means much.
    PHX let MP1 play but he didn't do much. As much as i like MP1, it's absurd how much $$$ he makes vs. how productive he is. He would be nearly unstoppable if he could develop any sort of shot from anywhere beyond a dunk.
    Final rosters haven't been set yet so we don't know who will be on NBA rosters vs G or D league ones. Andre Dawkins seems to be doing the G league.

PHX let MP1 play but he didn't do much. As much as i like MP1, it's absurd how much $$$ he makes vs. how productive he is. He would be nearly unstoppable if he could develop any sort of shot from anywhere beyond a dunk.
    Huh? Miles is on the Hawks and he did not play last night, he is hurt. Not sure what you are talking about here.

Huh? Miles is on the Hawks and he did not play last night, he is hurt. Not sure what you are talking about here.
    I saw Plumlee in the box and just assumed it was Miles, i guess cuz he used to play there (PHX) + brain fart (team was really LAC not PHX) + didn't hear about MP3 getting picked up anywhere. Looking at the box more closely, i discovered it was MP3!!! His preseason stats don't look all that great (1-4 FGs and 3 rebs, total), but at least he's still getting serious attention, this time from the Clippers, not PHX.
    Anyway, my reading comprehension skills were not up to par when i posted that.

Matt Jones played a few minutes for SAC last night, got off a shot and missed it. Maybe they're keeping Matt around to keep Harry company, which if true would be a nice gesture. It remains to be seen how serious SAC is about Matt, but at least he's getting paid to play ball for a while.
    Also, SAC has Vince Carter, who was 0-6 FG, not that it means much.
    Final rosters haven't been set yet so we don't know who will be on NBA rosters vs G or D league ones. Andre Dawkins seems to be doing the G league.
    I think Matt would be fortunate to get a shot in the G League, I think there is zero chance he makes the opening night roster but I hope I am wrong. It still baffles me that, not long ago, Demarcus Nelson was starting for the Warriors on opening night.

As for MP1, he may be the #1 example of someone who benefited the most in comparison to his skill level on the one year cap bump that made the market go crazy. Forget "any sort of shot", the kid is physically blessed but, to me, never showed an iota of game sense or had any feel.

I also liked the article. In contrast, here is a brutally frank assessment of Jah from coach David Thorpe who I really respect

Podcast - 10/12/17 episode - start listening at ~16 minutes, it goes on for about 10 minutes. Ouch!
    http://thebasketballfriends.libsyn.com/

He needs to get out of Philly. They don't give two hoots for him in this city and it seems like the same can be said for his team. Embiid and Simmons are the face of the franchise and don't consider him a part of their young core (hence omitting his name in their self-given new nickname).

I've never seen a player go so fast from averaging around 17 points 6-7 rebounds a game in their rookie year, to being a complete afterthought. The thing is, I think Jah can be a good player. He out-dueled Towns in their two meetings as rookies and looked good doing it. I still believe.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    He needs to get out of Philly. They don't give two hoots for him in this city and it seems like the same can be said for his team. Embiid and Simmons are the face of the franchise and don't consider him a part of their young core (hence omitting his name in their self-given new nickname).

I've never seen a player go so fast from averaging around 17 points 6-7 rebounds a game in their rookie year, to being a complete afterthought. The thing is, I think Jah can be a good player. He out-dueled Towns in their two meetings as rookies and looked good doing it. I still believe.
    This is the tough part of being so young. Sure, he needs to get out of Philly. And he will. But he needs to shore up his weaknesses in the process.