Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    .., Then I remembered leadership advice I once heard -- a person succeeds most often by emphasizing or enhancing his or her strengths rather than by minimizing or remedying weaknesses. ...
    Do you believe this is true? It seems eliminating or minimizing the negative can be hugely important to success.

Cut has his numbers as to how many drives result in points when there are no negative plays vs how many result in points if the negative plays still exist.

And I look at it as that which I'm strongest at is always there and shining through with not much effort on my part, so I should work a bit on the weaknesses to get even better results.

Perhaps the advice you quote is true on some level -- have the PG dribble rather than working on team weakness and having oafish C do the dribbling. But that seems more related to right person for job rather than not working on weakness. And I guess the advice is true in the sense that most of us on DBR succeed/have more money/whatever by spending
    time on what we're good at (our job) rather than spending time working out trying to make the NBA. I guess I see the wisdom with raising kids -- want the kids to be happy and thrive so emphasize the strengths; that said, stick-to-it-tiveness can be a great trait so work on weaknesses to be an even more competent human with a chance to thrive overall.

Thanks for giving something to think about. I guess I see it as there are certain minimum elements one needs for certain goals, and if weak and not meeting the minimum in a required element, better work on that weakness as it's a needed part.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Do you believe this is true? It seems eliminating or minimizing the negative can be hugely important to success.
    I do. A great salesman, who is a somewhat indifferent day-to-day manager, can become a great CEO. He continues as a great salesman and puts together a team to handle day-to-day matters.

Colin Powell's autobiography talks about his experience in Korea with General "Gunfighter" Emerson, who was a highly emotional leader and rather short on details. As Colin said, you need a "visionary" and then a "whip hand" to make it happen. And then there is a third person -- a "chaplain" (whether ordained or not)-- to deal with basically making the human side work.

IMHO (where the H went AWOL when shipped to Korea), Kyrie can become one of the great players on the planet without being a lock-down defender.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Except Tatum scored 20 off of 6-9 shooting and Kyrie scored 24 while going 10-23.
    Kyrie still seems to be trying to find his stroke.
    23 shots?

Seems like he is looking everywhere for his stroke ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    23 shots?

Seems like he is looking everywhere for his stroke ...
    23 shots is not an absurd amount of shots and 10-23 FGs is 43.5%, which isn't bad either. 10-23 for 24 pts isn't even a pedestrian game, it's pretty decent. Not sure why you would try to give him grief for those sorts of stats when he's had other games that were much worse.

5. More importantly, look at where the Celtics are. After losing the first two, no doubt in large part due to Hayward's injury, the Celtics have won four in a row with Kyrie as its unquestioned leader.

There are people here who doubted Kyrie's ability to lead a team and win without LeBron and I hope these early results have given them pause to reconsider.

The haters may say it's more Tatum and Brown than Kyrie, but before the season started would you expect those two guys to be more effective than proven vets like Shumpert and Smith?

Morris and Smart were injured, so this Celtics team can be even better than what we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    More importantly, look at where the Celtics are. After losing the first two, no doubt in large part due to Hayward's injury, the Celtics have won four in a row with Kyrie as its unquestioned leader.

There are people here who doubted Kyrie's ability to lead a team and win without LeBron and I hope these early results have given them pause to reconsider.

The haters may say it's more Tatum and Brown than Kyrie, but before the season started would you expect those two guys to be more effective than proven vets like Shumpert and Smith?

Morris and Smart were injured, so this Celtics team can be even better than what we've seen so far.
    As a cavs fan, I can without a question say I would rather have Tatum and brown vs shump and Smith. They aren’t particularly effective anymore it seems.

Is Luke hurt or did he get sent to DLeague?

8. Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    As a cavs fan, I can without a question say I would rather have Tatum and brown vs shump and Smith. They aren’t particularly effective anymore it seems.
    Yes, you can say that now.

The general consensus on this board before the season started was that the Cavs would be better than the Celtics this season; that Irving would miss the Cavs more than the Cavs would miss Irving.

Even without Hayward (and Morris and Smart) that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I'm happy for Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Yes, you can say that now.

The general consensus on this board before the season started was that the Cavs would be better than the Celtics this season; that Irving would miss the Cavs more than the Cavs would miss Irving.

Even without Hayward (and Morris and Smart) that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I'm happy for Irving.
    The cavs will end up winning the East again. I can almost guarantee it. Once IT gets back on the court and people find roles. And before the season even started I would of taken Tatum and brown over shump and JR. It would of taken me 0.00001 seconds to make that decision

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Yep. Emphasize your strengths and compensate for your weaknesses. It's not a matter of ignoring the weaknesses -- just don't forget what one is good at.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

11. Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The cavs will end up winning the East again. I can almost guarantee it. Once IT gets back on the court and people find roles. And before the season even started I would of taken Tatum and brown over shump and JR. It would of taken me 0.00001 seconds to make that decision
    Out of curiosity, would you have preferred Crowder + Shump + JR or Brown + Tatum for one season only?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Is Luke hurt or did he get sent to DLeague?
    Simply inactive since Reggie Bullock is back so he is the one player who is not dressing. The Pistons are pretty proactive with using the G League so if they continue to have more than 13 available players, I would not be surprised to see him get the occasional assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Simply inactive since Reggie Bullock is back so he is the one player who is not dressing. The Pistons are pretty proactive with using the G League so if they continue to have more than 13 available players, I would not be surprised to see him get the occasional assignment.
    wow, so reggie bullock is more valuable in their estimation than luke kennard. i have to admit i haven't actually watched bullock play lately, but that's surprising to me. bullock is not at a point where he's getting better or is important to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    wow, so reggie bullock is more valuable in their estimation than luke kennard. i have to admit i haven't actually watched bullock play lately, but that's surprising to me. bullock is not at a point where he's getting better or is important to the future.
    Could this merely be a statement as to how important defense is in the NBA? Bullock has been in the league for 4 years and I'm sure he understands defense better than Luke at this point. Honestly I was shocked that Luke came out early but then again his physical liabilities will not improve with age. He needs time to adapt and he's not valuable enough on offense to warrant court time.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    1. SvG hates rookies. 2. SvG hates inept defenders.

Kennard is both. Kennard needs to focus on defense.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Could this merely be a statement as to how important defense is in the NBA? Bullock has been in the league for 4 years and I'm sure he understands defense better than Luke at this point. Honestly I was shocked that Luke came out early but then again his physical liabilities will not improve with age. He needs time to adapt and he's not valuable enough on offense to warrant court time.
    At 5-2 with some great recent wins, the Pistons are one of the early surprises of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1. SvG hates rookies. 2. SvG hates inept defenders.

Kennard is both. Kennard needs to focus on defense.
    Stan has been complementary of Luke, but your words ring true. His team is atop the East, he's definitely a defense-first coach, it may be time for Luke to torch the G-League.

Having watched Tatum basically the full game against the Miami Heat, I don't think there's any question he's going to be a star in this league. His skill set seems to have developed significantly since I last saw him in a Duke uniform, and frankly looks better against NBA defenders than he ever did in college. And I'm not saying he didn't look really good at times in college, but he was blowing by Heat defenders with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Having watched Tatum basically the full game against the Miami Heat, I don't think there's any question he's going to be a star in this league. His skill set seems to have developed significantly since I last saw him in a Duke uniform, and frankly looks better against NBA defenders than he ever did in college. And I'm not saying he didn't look really good at times in college, but he was blowing by Heat defenders with ease.
    SI's Jeremy Woo agrees with you that Tatum already looks surprisingly better than he did at Duke.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/30/ce...hayward-injury

"As for Tatum, well, his instant viability has been more surprising. We knew that he could and would be able to score at a high level, and the advanced footwork and offensive instincts have carried over nicely. He’s shooting 50% from the field and looking bouncier and more nimble than he did at Duke. Although his set-shot mechanics from three are a little awkward, they look repeatable and passable. Also: he’s frickin’ 19! Tatum can still be a ball-stopper, and the disease of Trying to Do Too Much may yet ensnare him on the offensive end. The Celtics have actually been significantly more efficient scoring the ball when he’s off the floor. But these are growing pains, and the Celtics will take what they’re getting from him. Also, watch at least the first 30 seconds of this mix below, because Tim Hardaway Jr. gets got.

Much like with Brown, the most eye-opening factor has been Tatum’s defensive effort. He’s looked focused and has not been the liability many expected. Playing with Brown and Smart means the Celtics can effectively control Tatum’s matchups, and he can commit to rebounding, using his length and staying within his means. Tatum has never been known for his defense, dating back to high school, but to be fair, he’s also never been asked to do much of it. He wasn’t awful in college, averaging more than a steal and block per game, but those numbers aren’t always indicative of defensive competence and how it translates to the complexities of the next level. Brown’s high-end defensive cover skills look like a perfect complement, and Tatum has the luxury of easing himself into Boston’s schemes. Remember, of course, that the Celtics were able to move down and receive a first-round pick to get him."

It is early... really early... but right now the race for NBA Rookie of the Year is a close contest between Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, and Lonzo Ball. Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, and maybe Dennis Smith or De'Arron Fox are also in the conversation.

But, Tatum is different from all the rest of these guys because he is doing it on an actually good team. Getting playing time and stats on the Bull, Lakers, Hawks, Mavs, and Kings isn't nearly as impressive as doing it for a legit NBA Finals contender.

If there was a vote today, I think Ball might have a small edge because there has been so much hype surrounding him, but I suspect Tatum might pull it out. Tatum is crushing all the other rookies in the advanced stats like Win Shares and VORP and he is a super efficient player thanks to a high shooting percentage at the line and from 3.

-Jason "Boston is laughing hysterically at Philly for giving up a future #1 and still allowing the Celtics to get the guy they wanted" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is early... really early... but right now the race for NBA Rookie of the Year is a close contest between Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, and Lonzo Ball...
    Isn't Ben Simmons eligible? I'd say he's a pretty strong front runner if so.