Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NBA - 2017-18 Season

Looks like the Kings are taking it slow with Harry...no game action until at least January

https://www.nba.com/amp/kings/news/harry-giles-update

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Looks like the Kings are taking it slow with Harry...no game action until at least January

That's cool. I won't be watching the NBA until mid-April.

Good luck to him.

I wondered, at times, last year whether K was being too cautious in giving Harry playing time. This news suggests otherwise and that he is still pretty fragile.

This rates pretty high on my Duke "what if" list. What if Harry had been healthy last year?

That’s a shame for Giles but I think it is the smart move. Could mean the difference between a 2-3 year career and a 8-10 year career. I really hope he is able reach his potential and stay healthy.

It's certainly a good thing for HG that the Duke medical staff felt it was best to do that surgery prior to the season last year. 1st) with an injury history such as his, going forward with a medically compromised knee would have greatly increased his risk of another major injury and 2) forced K and the staff to go very slow, which allowed NBA scouts to see enough to validate that he was worth looking at, without compromising his long term health.
    It turns out that it was good for K as well, allowing him to nurture a talent like HG and maximizing his long-term career prospects.

All jumpers for Kyrie. I wonder if that's basic preseason stuff, or if Stevens is going to ask him to be a little nicer to his body this year and not throw himself into the lane as often.

That team is going to be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    All jumpers for Kyrie. I wonder if that's basic preseason stuff, or if Stevens is going to ask him to be a little nicer to his body this year and not throw himself into the lane as often.

That team is going to be fun to watch.
    I guess April came early this year...

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I guess April came early this year...
    Touche. I didn't swear off Twitter clips.

Seth also out indefinitely with a "stress reaction" is his tibia, which sounds a bit like the shin injury that kept him out of practice as a senior.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ion-left-tibia

Seth also out indefinitely with a "stress reaction" is his tibia, which sounds a bit like the shin injury that kept him out of practice as a senior.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ion-left-tibia
    Saw this on the ESPN crawl. Poor kid has had a snake-bit career injury-wise. Can't help but wonder how his basketball life might be different with good legs.

Article on Tatum

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...sh-spot-boston

This guy is for real. Celtic fans are so lucky to have him.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Solid defense by #17 on the Sixers, too.

I like many things about the NBA, but nothing more than watching different Duke generations match up.

Will the analytics renaissance contribute to our discussions of the best Duke teams? One day, we may be able to say that Jayson Tatum shoots 60% against J.J. Redick in the post; Jahlil Okafor's offensive efficiency plummets against Harry Giles; Lance Thomas gets open for a lot of threes when Mason Plumlee is chasing him around the perimeter. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Solid defense by #17 on the Sixers, too.

I like many things about the NBA, but nothing more than watching different Duke generations match up.

Will the analytics renaissance contribute to our discussions of the best Duke teams? One day, we may be able to say that Jayson Tatum shoots 60% against J.J. Redick in the post; Jahlil Okafor's offensive efficiency plummets against Harry Giles; Lance Thomas gets open for a lot of threes when Mason Plumlee is chasing him around the perimeter. The possibilities are endless.
    And your last paragraph pretty well sums up the current purpose of Duke b-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Saw this on the ESPN crawl. Poor kid has had a snake-bit career injury-wise. Can't help but wonder how his basketball life might be different with good legs.
    True for lots of players- unfortunately. Grant Hill was great before the ankle- Jabari was starting to roll before the tears. Seth will likely be fine with some rest. Jabari is going to be a different player.

Andre Dawkins ended up participating in preseason. Melbourne United from Australia was playing at Oklahoma City in an exhibition, but did not have enough healthy players so they invited a few players to join the team for a few days and he was one of them, getting to play in their near-win against NBA opposition. All indications are that he will join the G League once their training camps open.

Re: the Kennard pic on the front page... apparently his first purchase was a tanning bed.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Re: the Kennard pic on the front page... apparently his first purchase was a tanning bed.
    Yipes! I would have guessed it would be hair product.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I thought it was "time" with Savannah Chrisley?

per the front page article, it sounds like Jahlil has learned some important things, perhaps most importantly that being a professional in the public eye requires growing a thick skin. Sounds like he needs one of those Waterboy-moments to be an elite player, y'know the scene where the coach gets Sandler to imagine that the opposing team is always taunting his mama, which ignites Sandler to be some other-worldly defensive terror.
    Also, it sounds like one of the biggest criticisms against him, weight/conditioning, is something he's taken very seriously and lost 20 pounds. If so, additional quickness and mobility could really change the way he plays, and the way he's perceived. There's really nothing that can be done for his awareness and extincts, except experience.
    I hope Jahlil has a better season this year than last. The article paints Jahlil as a very sensitive dude, and perhaps he let that sensitivity to criticism and public perception negatively impact his play. He needs to take Obi-wan's lesson to Luke to heart: "Bury your feelings deep down (Jahlil), they do you credit, but they could be made to serve the (negative perceptions of a sh!* for brains fan)."