View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 domestic boxoffice films of winter 2017?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11/01 A Bad Moms Christmas

0 0%
  • 11/03 Thor: Ragnarok

51 96.23%
  • 11/10 Daddy's Home 2

2 3.77%
  • 11/10 Murder on the Orient Express

2 3.77%
  • 11/17 Justice League

53 100.00%
  • 11/23 Coco

24 45.28%
  • 12/15 Ferdinand

9 16.98%
  • 12/15 Star Wars: The Last Jedi

53 100.00%
  • 12/20 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

12 22.64%
  • 12/22 Downsizing

0 0%
  • 12/22 Pitch Perfect 3

6 11.32%
  • 02/16 Black Panther

38 71.70%
  • Field

15 28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The Rock certainly killed it with Baywatch!
    Ha ha ha. Touche'.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I have ZERO idea what Coco is...

I definitely agree Jedi and Justice League are both hands down shoe-ins. Even if Justice League disappoints, it's going to be a clear #2. After that, Thor and Black Panther are very likely to be top 5, but picking comic book movies is a bit booring.
    If I were to pick an animated movie for the list, I'd go with Ferdinand over Coco. Loved and familiar story that parents will be able to share with their kids, done by the same studio that made buckets of money with the Ice Age and Rio movies. Like I said, I can't bank on Pixar anymore, and I bet they lose this battle.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thus far, Star Wars, Thor, and Justice League are at 100%. I think it would take a voter error or someone intentionally throwing the contest for them not to finish that way.

Aside from those 3, there is no other film pulling more than 50% of the vote. We have a lot of differing opinions about the rest.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thus far, Star Wars, Thor, and Justice League are at 100%. I think it would take a voter error or someone intentionally throwing the contest for them not to finish that way.
    "Challenge accepted."
    --Bluedag

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've got confidence in three movies.
    Last Jedi, Thor, and Justice League, in that order.
    I can't bank on Pixar anymore, and I while I am excited about the look of the Jumanji reboot, it is right on the heels of Star Wars, and right in front of Pitch Perfect 3. It won't win its opening weekend, and may not come in 2nd in its second weekend. That's a hard spot to fill.
    Still, those last two would be my leans to round out the top 5. (Jumanji and PP3, or PP3 and the field.)
    So much for that reasoning. I decided to bank on Pixar after all. It has lots of room after its release to enjoy repeat business. Went with Black Panther as my last pick over Jumanji; it's just too much in between a rock and a hard place for me to have confidence in it, and it's hard to vote against Marvel. (Plus the trailer looks cool.)
    Looks like I have lots of company in my 5 picks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So much for that reasoning. I decided to bank on Pixar after all. It has lots of room after its release to enjoy repeat business. Went with Black Panther as my last pick over Jumanji; it's just too much in between a rock and a hard place for me to have confidence in it, and it's hard to vote against Marvel. (Plus the trailer looks cool.)
    Looks like I have lots of company in my 5 picks.
    Frankly, you should have checked my track record before copying my picks. Choosing the field 5 times would have given you better odds of winning. A porg would likely do a better job than I.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Frankly, you should have checked my track record before copying my picks. Choosing the field 5 times would have given you better odds of winning. A porg would likely do a better job than I.
    I've been victorious in the winter twice...so maybe I can help reverse your fortune!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    If three of the choices stay at 100%, we have a two-pick contest. Maybe they should be removed from the contest and we pick the next 3, 4, or 5. Just a thought.

Went with Black Panther as my last pick over Jumanji; it's just too much in between a rock and a hard place for me to have confidence in it, and it's hard to vote against Marvel. (Plus the trailer looks cool..
    I'm struggling with this one as well. I tried to base my pick on the trailer music. Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" is SOLID for Jumanji, but I must admit I was enjoying the beats in Black Panther's trailer. To me, it's likely the difference between someone building a world and someone making a movie. Jumanji is giving the impression in the trailer they are going to use cheap gags and cliched music and movies all over the movie, Marvel is going to introduce us to a new and very important part of the MCU in the upcoming Infinity War. I think at this point I too am leaning toward Black Panther just because if I had a choice to see one or the other I know how Jumanji is going to end.

I've been victorious in the winter twice...so maybe I can help reverse your fortune!
    I picked Baywatch in the most recent contest.

Such idiocy cannot be remedied.

I should wear a helmet when making my picks.

Check the Jedi thread for my Porg theory.
    Last edited by -jk; 10-12-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
    Let's go Duke!

I should wear a helmet when making my picks.
    I have extra foil if you need any.

If you like to look at comparative value, here are the numbers from the Hollywood Stock Exchange.

Poll Choices

$775.05 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    $315.73 Justice League
    $215.82 Thor: Ragnarok
    $181.42 Black Panther
    $128.66 Coco
    $108.90 Pitch Perfect 3
    $106.41 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
    $91.38 Ferdinand
    $90.88 Daddy's Home 2
    $83.54 A Bad Moms Christmas
    $67.05 Murder on the Orient Express
    $53.36 Downsizing

Top Field Picks

$92.13 Fifty Shades Freed
    $66.98 Peter Rabbit
    $56.33 The God Particle (Cloverfield)
    $54.21 The Post
    $51.74 The Star
    $50.93 Maze Runner: The Death Cure

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If you like to look at comparative value, here are the numbers from the Hollywood Stock Exchange.

Poll Choices

$775.05 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    $315.73 Justice League
    $215.82 Thor: Ragnarok
    $181.42 Black Panther
    $128.66 Coco
    $108.90 Pitch Perfect 3
    $106.41 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
    $91.38 Ferdinand
    $90.88 Daddy's Home 2
    $83.54 A Bad Moms Christmas
    $67.05 Murder on the Orient Express
    $53.36 Downsizing

Top Field Picks

$92.13 Fifty Shades Freed
    $66.98 Peter Rabbit
    $56.33 The God Particle (Cloverfield)
    $54.21 The Post
    $51.74 The Star
    $50.93 Maze Runner: The Death Cure
    Worth noting that HSX only looks at the first 3 weekends of release. So a film that starts smaller and then goes wide -- like Oscar contenders often do -- could be very devalued by HSX. Similarly, films with long legs, like comedies and especially family films, will also be devalued.

-Jason "I think Downsizing is really undervalued. If you play HSX, go long on that film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It isn't likely to be significant news for our contest, but The Current War (starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon), which tells the tale of the battle between Thomas Edison and George Westinghose to control the nation's electrical supply, has moved from a Thanksgiving opening to some time in 2018. The move likely takes the film out of the running for our contest.

There were two problems with this film. The first is that it got mediocre reviews when it opened at TIFF and was clearly in need of some fixes. The second is that it is one of the major releases coming up from The Weinstein Company and anything associated with Weinstein is total poison at this point.

Speaking of Harvey and his company, I believe the only chance that studio has to survive is to:
    1. Change its name
    2. Jettison anyone who is seen as having helped cover up Harvey's crimes... especially his brother
    3. Remove Harvey's ability to get any profits from the future of the company
    4. Set up a generous fund to campaign against sexual harassment.

Even then I' say the company has only a 50-50 shot at being a viable part of Hollywood going forward.

-Jason "anyway, if you were betting on The Current War as part of your field pick, you made a bad bet" Evans

It isn't likely to be significant news for our contest, but The Current War (starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon), which tells the tale of the battle between Thomas Edison and George Westinghose to control the nation's electrical supply, has moved from a Thanksgiving opening to some time in 2018. The move likely takes the film out of the running for our contest.

There were two problems with this film. The first is that it got mediocre reviews when it opened at TIFF and was clearly in need of some fixes. The second is that it is one of the major releases coming up from The Weinstein Company and anything associated with Weinstein is total poison at this point.
    -Jason "anyway, if you were betting on The Current War as part of your field pick, you made a bad bet" Evans
    Shocking.

I was amped up for this one.

Shocking.

I was amped up for this one.
    I know. There was an electricity in the air for this film. I just hope the story remains current. I'll do my best to keep all of you plugged in to any info I hear.

I know. There was an electricity in the air for this film. I just hope the story remains current. I'll do my best to keep all of you plugged in to any info I hear.
    While the release date may be in flux, even if notice is short, we can build up some energy to ensure that it isn't shunted too quickly to the dollar theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    While the release date may be in flux, even if notice is short, we can build up some energy to ensure that it isn't shunted too quickly to the dollar theaters.
    I expected more resistance to such a re-volting attempt to jumpstart another pun-fest.

My (usually bad) pick

Last Jedi, Thor and Justice League for sure.

Went Ferdinand and Jumanji, figuring family films will do well over the holidays and that there will be enough superhero fatigue to keep Black Panther just out of the top 5.