Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Tom Petty

We saw the show this summer in Newark. It was great! Felt like a goodbye to the fans. He had interesting things to say about this tour, including...

I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country

I saw him in concert a couple of times at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, once with Steve Winwood opening.

He put on a great show, although his Southern Accents tour--for which he later expressed some contrition--did bring out a certain drunken, redneck clientele that seemed a bit at odds with his more thoughtful persona.

Pretty big Petty section on my CD shelves. And the download library.

He wasn't quite in my Dylan, Springsteen, Beatles pantheon but he was pretty darn close.

He was one of a number of musical icons, e.g. Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Richard Thompson, Stevie Wonder, Bonnie Raitt, et. al. that are/were about my age. So, I guess I feel like we kind of grew up together. This one hits me hard.

"I don't know but I've been told
    If you never slow down, you never grow old."

RIP

Wow, what a sledgehammer of a day yesterday was, don't know if I've absorbed all that happened.

Saw TP several times, was never disappointed. He hit it big when I was a teen in 79 and made me a fan forever ... has always for lack of a better term "been there".

Will miss him immensely ... hope he's holding a Rickenbacker where ever he is ...

As he said at the end of his shows, "God bless you".

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He wasn't quite in my Dylan, Springsteen, Beatles pantheon but he was pretty darn close.
    Very close to my pantheon of The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, and The Beatles. As a result, I loved seeing Tom Petty play with The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan a few times in the summer of '86. Tom Petty played his own set and also served as Dylan's backup band. I was extremely impressed by Tom Petty and believe his '86 experience was a springboard to his next level. He seemed to get better and better as he aged.

Thanks, RIP, Tom.

I hate to keep repeating myself on these sorts of threads, but -- this one really hurts.

Saw him a few times. There are few who are both popular and "cool" if that makes sense. The WSJ had an article a year or two ago to that effect as well.

Three of the five Wilbury half-brothers are now gone. Hope he is singing with Roy and George as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hate to keep repeating myself on these sorts of threads, but -- this one really hurts.
    I've been aware of the time going by,
    They say in the end it's the wink of an eye,
    When the morning light comes streaming in,
    You'll get up and do it again,
    Amen.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ESPN has its QB Confidence Index up, rating their belief in each NFL quarterback's ability to lead and be effective. Relevance to this thread? Each QB is assigned a Tom Petty song.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ankings-week-4
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ESPN has its QB Confidence Index up, rating their belief in each NFL quarterback's ability to lead and be effective. Relevance to this thread? Each QB is assigned a Tom Petty song.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ankings-week-4
    Love the creativity, but how could someone go though this exercise and not reference the song "Yer so Bad"? Certainly the Browns have somebody playing QB for them this week!

On second thought, perhaps the writer got it correct. There may be too much nuance involved with the lyrics "yer so bad, best thing I ever had" to go with a cheap joke based on the song title alone.

I love me some Petty. Saw him thrice and on a trip to Jamaica many years ago I had been there nearly a week and had drunk 1000 red stripes and listened to every Bob Marley song 4 or 5 times so I offered the bartender a twenty for a Budweiser and some Tom Petty. My next trip to the bar he was ready. Best $20 I ever spent. I don't drink Bud anymore but I still love Petty.

A little late to this thread, but this loss has certainly hit home as other losses have that relate to my childhood and adolescence. My musical tastes evolved as I grew up but Petty was and is one of the constants. I listened to him all of last week and will continue to this week. Anyways, this is one of the best write-ups I've seen in remembrance (with Patterson Hood). I especially love the part about getting to the chorus.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Jason Aldean cold opens SNL with a tribute to Las Vegas and Tom Petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRCbVBCRBE

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Jason Aldean cold opens SNL with a tribute to Las Vegas and Tom Petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRCbVBCRBE

one of the greatest examples of "it's the thought that counts" that i've ever encountered...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

My favorite Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers albums was actually one they recorded with Johnny Cash, Unchained.

~rthomas