Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

FB: UVA 28, Duke 21

Time to start thinking about the next game. As usual, I will post any information as soon as I can get it so that everyone can make plans if necessary.

TV Stations:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/9/25/a...-virginia.aspx

ACC Website Viewing:
    http://www.theacc.com/watch/

There should be a direct ACC link eventually, but you will be able to access the game from the link above. Their stream is free and completely unrestricted so anyone can watch with internet access.

The blackout map should come out later in the week, but will likely include any place in the ACC footprint that has a station on the list. After that, ESPN College Extra channel assignments will be released for those outside the blackout zone who have providers that carry that package.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Time to start thinking about the next game.
    Thanks for the information! I contemplated making the trip to Charlottesville, but I've decided to stay home and watch on TV. Channel 507 on Verizon Fios in Hampton Roads.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the information! I contemplated making the trip to Charlottesville, but I've decided to stay home and watch on TV. Channel 507 on Verizon Fios in Hampton Roads.
    We'll be at the Duke-UVA game.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Team health remains very good:

Stephen Wiseman‏
    @stevewisemanNC

Cutcliffe said Duke has no new injuries that should linger into Saturday at this point. Health front remains remarkably clean five games in
    Bob Green

Duke opens as a 4.5 point favorite vs. Virginia. Wow.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke is now a 2.5 points underdog:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I guess some folks watched the Miami game...

We'll be there but not at the $100 ID price for tix and tailgate.

This is a big game for Duke. How will such a young team respond to their first loss. Cut's words this weekend were interesting. It sounds like he senses some confidence draining out of his players. I would expect to see some tweaks to the offense this week. He is going to have to scheme to help his OL block and his WRs get open. I still think our defense will keep us in this game until our offense can get going.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We'll be there but not at the $100 ID price for tix and tailgate.
    I'll offer my living room and backyard for anyone who wants to tailgate and watch at the low low price of 95$ !!!! All proceeds go to the islay-for-uh-no foundation.

What a deal!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'll offer my living room and backyard for anyone who wants to tailgate and watch at the low low price of 95$ !!!! All proceeds go to the islay-for-uh-no foundation.

What a deal!
    BYOB I'll wager.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    This is a big game for Duke. How will such a young team respond to their first loss. Cut's words this weekend were interesting. It sounds like he senses some confidence draining out of his players. I would expect to see some tweaks to the offense this week. He is going to have to scheme to help his OL block and his WRs get open. I still think our defense will keep us in this game until our offense can get going.
    Agreed. I think the main key is the offensive line. They've done a good job in the running game. However, against the better teams, the offensive tackles have really struggled in pass protection. While our receivers struggled to get free against Miami, I think they will be able to get the job done if Jones has some time to throw. It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest. I'm wondering if the coaches lack of confidence in the offensive line led to the many short pass plays (thinking we needed Jones to unload the ball quickly). We can't do that at the volume we did last week. Miami was able to sit on our receivers knowing everything was being thrown short. We need to be able to throw down the field. Of course, there's the chicken and the egg issue.

Coming into the season, we would have hoped that Virginia would be an easier game. But they have played well, for the most part. With so many tough ACC games left on the schedule, need to take care of business Saturday. You don't want a losing streak to develop and snowball as we head towards FSU. Let's get it done. Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest.
    I also desire to see us commit to the run. Run the ball inside and outside, with our talented running backs and quarterback, run the ball and force Virginia to stop us. I'd like to see more two running back sets and more touches for Deon Jackson as well.
    Bob Green

Can’t let this thread drop from the first page!

This article at the Richmond Times-Dispatch discusses Virginia's passing attack:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/colle...a56640142.html

Benkert and company will tell you it’s the short to midrange passes that make the Cavaliers’ offense go, but there’s no denying that it’s been the explosive plays that have taken it from pedestrian to potent the past two games.
    Virginia is third in the ACC in Passing Offense averaging 312.3 yards per game, while Duke is ninth in Passing Defense giving up 220.8 yards per game.

Virginia’s opponent Saturday, Duke, is giving up the fourth most yards per pass attempt (7.4) in the ACC, and has allowed seven touchdown passes against it, fifth most in the league, meaning — if the line can protect him — Benkert might have a shot at pulling of another YouTube-worthy play.
    The defense is going to have to pressure Virginia QB Benkert in order to prevent those explosive plays. With our stout run defense, I expect Virginia, 12th in the ACC in Rushing Offense, will be passing twice as much as they run. They'll rush enough to keep us honest but it will be "Air Cavalier" come Saturday.
    Bob Green

This Charlottesville Daily Progress article has multiple quotes from Coach Cutcliffe. Example:

Quizzed by media if Miami had exposed weaknesses in Duke’s offense, Cutcliffe bristled.

“I don’t think anything was exposed,” he said. “I think Miami is really good. There’s nothing schematically wrong. It was just a matter of making plays. You’ve got to be competitive.
    And one from Coach Mendenhall, on Duke's defense being ranked #18 nationally in QB sacks:

“A year ago, before we played Duke, they were leading the ACC in sacks,” Mendenhall pointed out. “I don’t remember when we played them in terms of time of year (Oct. 1), but they had a similar reputation going in.”
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Agreed. I think the main key is the offensive line. They've done a good job in the running game. However, against the better teams, the offensive tackles have really struggled in pass protection. While our receivers struggled to get free against Miami, I think they will be able to get the job done if Jones has some time to throw. It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest. I'm wondering if the coaches lack of confidence in the offensive line led to the many short pass plays (thinking we needed Jones to unload the ball quickly). We can't do that at the volume we did last week. Miami was able to sit on our receivers knowing everything was being thrown short. We need to be able to throw down the field. Of course, there's the chicken and the egg issue.

Coming into the season, we would have hoped that Virginia would be an easier game. But they have played well, for the most part. With so many tough ACC games left on the schedule, need to take care of business Saturday. You don't want a losing streak to develop and snowball as we head towards FSU. Let's get it done. Go Duke.
    I read where we averaged just over four yards per completion against Miami..

A loss Saturday transforms our stroll to six wins into a potential crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I read where we averaged just over four yards per completion against Miami..
    Incorrect.

Daniel Jones was 21-42-1 for 166 yards. That is 7.9 yards per completion. The stat you are referring to is yards per attempt which was a dismal 3.95.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A loss Saturday transforms our stroll to six wins into a potential crawl.
    But a win...... keeps us on track for even more wins! I'm trying to decide if I want to go to Charlottesville and see this one live. Should be a good one. And the scenery might be nice along the way.

Edit: There are many tickets from $22.00 on up available on StubHub. $50.00 can get you some good seats.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!