Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke Basketball -- Now Until CTC

Let's bring it home. We all love Duke Football, await the NCAA's decision on the cheaters, love all Duke sports, and are enthralled by the latest non-Duke scandals.

But this forum has a focus, reflected in its title.

Any word on how the summer is going for our men's and women's basketball teams? Reports from summer workouts? Intel or juicy tidbits? Plans for CTC attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Let's bring it home. We all love Duke Football, await the NCAA's decision on the cheaters, love all Duke sports, and are enthralled by the latest non-Duke scandals.

Any word on how the summer is going for our men's and women's basketball teams? Reports from summer workouts? Intel or juicy tidbits? Plans for CTC attendance?
    K has a press conference scheduled next Tuesday.

FWIW.

Thank you. Everything else is just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Thank you. Everything else is just noise.
    One mans noise is another mans music. Since there are people here that actually see and hear things from the team, I'm looking forward to their noise!

This Saturday, the Emily K Foundation is doing an annual fundraiser where contributors get to see a practice and then enjoy a lunch with Coach K as speaker. I did this a couple years ago in fall of 2014 (I did post a link here to pictures I had taken) and had a tremendous time. I have heard about this event since being on the Emily K email list.

http://www.emilyk.org

So, I will be in Cameron early Saturday morn to see the practice, eat lunch, and hear Coach K and help out the Emily K Foundation that does wonderful things for the youth of Durham - yes, it is a shameless plug! What a glorious way to spend a day. No, I am not employed by Emily K but just very impressed with the work that they do.

This is happening very early this year so I suspect this may be the first practice of the season (or close to it). Not sure what I will learn or see but will report as I can.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Bagley is a beast buddy. A freaking beast. Learn his name quickly. I took my daughter to the Hurricane Irma fundraiser for Houston, set up by our main man Justise Winslow (my favorite one and done of all time). All our guys were down on the floor playing knockout with the kids and other fans. Bagley made a huge impression on me, as did Duval. Duval's ball handling skills are super freaky and the kid can jump. He blocked a teammates follow up shot after missing the free throw, from behind and slammed it off the backboard. Impressive. His ball handling stood out the most to me though as a couple of times he put them on display while horsing around. Bagley is big, powerful, and graceful. Those two mixed in with Grayson will be a pure joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tfk53 View Post
    This Saturday, the Emily K Foundation is doing an annual fundraiser where contributors get to see a practice and then enjoy a lunch with Coach K as speaker. I did this a couple years ago in fall of 2014 (I did post a link here to pictures I had taken) and had a tremendous time. I have heard about this event since being on the Emily K email list.

http://www.emilyk.org

So, I will be in Cameron early Saturday morn to see the practice, eat lunch, and hear Coach K and help out the Emily K Foundation that does wonderful things for the youth of Durham - yes, it is a shameless plug! What a glorious way to spend a day. No, I am not employed by Emily K but just very impressed with the work that they do.

This is happening very early this year so I suspect this may be the first practice of the season (or close to it). Not sure what I will learn or see but will report as I can.
    I went last year and it was a wonderful experience. A helpful tip. Get there early and try to be as close to the front as possible in the line that forms On ThE INSIDE AFTER you are allowed inside from the outside. Once inside the building you will have to go sign in. Then the line at the door where you enter the actual gym forms. Be as close to the front as possible. Go sit on the bottom row at the far right of the scorers table. Best seat in the house for the practice. Also you can carry anything in that you want. Backpack, bag, drink, whatever. They don't prohibit any items of that nature.
    Everyone will sit in the lower bowl on the TV Side. The Cameron Crazies section bleachers will not be pulled out. They use that space for practice. Fair warning: Please do not leave your seat to go walk around on the floor or you will get the wrath of K. Last year some poor soul brought a professional type camera, got up during the middle of the practice and walked over to the Crazies side of the floor amongst players and everything and started snapping photo's of the action on the floor. K was quite unhappy and quickly sent Debbie K to go get the guy back into his seat. Really bad move on his part.

You will enjoy the practice and K will often grab a mike and explain what they are doing to the crowd. There will be drills, halfcourt offense and/or defense controlled scrimmages, as well as full court. Don't get overly excited at who's wearing white jerseys the first time they scrimmage. It won't mean a thing in terms of projected starters. They will end the practice with the full court drill where they put 1:04 on the clock and go 3 on 2 one way where all 3 take a jumpshot (Coaches on the end line will make passes from the endline for the two guys coming down that dont have the ball and they take jumpshots off the passes), then it's 3 on none back the other way with the same thing, all 3 guys taking a shot. Each shot no matter the distance counts as 1 point and they have to score 120 points within the 1:04 or it doesn't count and they have to do it again.

After the practice you will go up to the dining hall and have lunch. K will come up and give a speech, and then at the end will sign one item and take one photo with each attendee. Very fun event. I would encourage everyone to attend at least one time if they can.

I look forward to reading your write up so take lots of notes!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    One mans noise is another mans music. Since there are people here that actually see and hear things from the team, I'm looking forward to their noise!
    Since you apparently didn't understand my comment, I meant that everything besides Duke Basketball is noise.

Since you apparently didn't understand my comment, I meant that everything besides Duke Basketball is noise.
    Yeah, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry about that. Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.

Yeah, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry about that. Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.
    We can discuss a trade. But I'm gonna want some draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Bagley is a beast buddy. A freaking beast. Learn his name quickly. I took my daughter to the Hurricane Irma fundraiser for Houston, set up by our main man Justise Winslow (my favorite one and done of all time). All our guys were down on the floor playing knockout with the kids and other fans. Bagley made a huge impression on me, as did Duval. Duval's ball handling skills are super freaky and the kid can jump. He blocked a teammates follow up shot after missing the free throw, from behind and slammed it off the backboard. Impressive. His ball handling stood out the most to me though as a couple of times he put them on display while horsing around. Bagley is big, powerful, and graceful. Those two mixed in with Grayson will be a pure joy to watch.
    This team kinda reminds me of the Clips over the last few seasons: immensely talented PG, competent bigs, lots and lots of alley oops and secondary chances, insane athleticism, limited 3pt shooting, depth quesiton marks. I mean, Duval is no CP3 and can't shoot like CP3, but he's an elite PG in the college game. And college Grayson - compared to his college peers - is a much more talented player than JJ (compared to his NBA peers).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This team kinda reminds me of the Clips over the last few seasons: immensely talented PG, competent bigs, lots and lots of alley oops and secondary chances, insane athleticism, limited 3pt shooting, depth quesiton marks. I mean, Duval is no CP3 and can't shoot like CP3, but he's an elite PG in the college game. And college Grayson - compared to his college peers - is a much more talented player than JJ (compared to his NBA peers).
    Except the Clips haven't ever been able to get past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. So hopefully the similarities between our teams don't include postseason success (or lack thereof) haha

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    Except the Clips haven't ever been able to get past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. So hopefully the similarities between our teams don't include postseason success (or lack thereof) haha
    But there isn't a Houston, Dubs, Spurs, or Jazz equivalent in college ball. Plus we can all agree that Coach K > Rivers. I like my analogy. And I have faith in Coach K to lead this team past the second round.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    But there isn't a Houston, Dubs, Spurs, or Jazz equivalent in college ball. Plus we can all agree that Coach K > Rivers. I like my analogy. And I have faith in Coach K to lead this team past the second round.
    Hahah I liked your analogy too. I was just saying I hope we have tremendous postseason success this year, and like you said with Coach K at the helm, I think it's definitely doable

For those of us who don't have the information directly in front of us, could we perhaps amend the thread title to include the date/time of CTC?
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    For those of us who don't have the information directly in front of us, could we perhaps amend the thread title to include the date/time of CTC?
    Yep. I had to look it up -- Friday, October 20 at 7PM ET.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. I had to look it up -- Friday, October 20 at 7PM ET.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Ah... the first moments of my week and a half vacation. Looks like a lovely way to start.
    Let's go Duke!

Ah... the first moments of my week and a half vacation. Looks like a lovely way to start.
    You can have tingly feelings to start your vacay when a role player like Javin or Tucker goes off for 15 and 6 and DBR has the reshuffle their minute estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

I went last year and it was a wonderful experience. A helpful tip. Get there early and try to be as close to the front as possible in the line that forms On ThE INSIDE AFTER you are allowed inside from the outside. Once inside the building you will have to go sign in. Then the line at the door where you enter the actual gym forms. Be as close to the front as possible. Go sit on the bottom row at the far right of the scorers table. Best seat in the house for the practice. Also you can carry anything in that you want. Backpack, bag, drink, whatever. They don't prohibit any items of that nature.
    Everyone will sit in the lower bowl on the TV Side. The Cameron Crazies section bleachers will not be pulled out. They use that space for practice. Fair warning: Please do not leave your seat to go walk around on the floor or you will get the wrath of K. Last year some poor soul brought a professional type camera, got up during the middle of the practice and walked over to the Crazies side of the floor amongst players and everything and started snapping photo's of the action on the floor. K was quite unhappy and quickly sent Debbie K to go get the guy back into his seat. Really bad move on his part.

You will enjoy the practice and K will often grab a mike and explain what they are doing to the crowd. There will be drills, halfcourt offense and/or defense controlled scrimmages, as well as full court. Don't get overly excited at who's wearing white jerseys the first time they scrimmage. It won't mean a thing in terms of projected starters. They will end the practice with the full court drill where they put 1:04 on the clock and go 3 on 2 one way where all 3 take a jumpshot (Coaches on the end line will make passes from the endline for the two guys coming down that dont have the ball and they take jumpshots off the passes), then it's 3 on none back the other way with the same thing, all 3 guys taking a shot. Each shot no matter the distance counts as 1 point and they have to score 120 points within the 1:04 or it doesn't count and they have to do it again.

After the practice you will go up to the dining hall and have lunch. K will come up and give a speech, and then at the end will sign one item and take one photo with each attendee. Very fun event. I would encourage everyone to attend at least one time if they can.

I look forward to reading your write up so take lots of notes!
    Mark, that's a great write-up from beginning to end. Thanks for the info and for taking the time.

Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.
    We can discuss a trade. But I'm gonna want some draft picks.
    I was just talking to Elvis on Tuesday at [undisclosed Vegas eatery] during his shift change, and he did seem a little slower. But at 82, we all get slower.

I'm taking the 20th - 27th off. You planning on going to CTC?