The Sporting News Magazine

i've bought their annual NCAA basketball magazine every year beginning with the issue for 1985-1986. There was a year they didn't publish, but only one. None of the stores around here have it. Does anyone know what's up? Know there are better mags available, and some years i get them as well, but for me this has also become a collection.

Anyone?
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    i've bought their annual NCAA basketball magazine every year beginning with the issue for 1985-1986. There was a year they didn't publish, but only one. None of the stores around here have it. Does anyone know what's up? Know there are better mags available, and some years i get them as well, but for me this has also become a collection.

Anyone?
    I think it merged with Street and Smith

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post

Anyone?
    It looks like in late 2012, they were already thinking of going digital-only but were convinced by long-time readers to continue publishing preseason previews. It's possible they've changed their minds about even that in 2017. There's an email and phone number in bullet point #1 of that link; I would reach out to see if they're still publishing. You could also contact lead college basketball writer Mike DeCourcy, who should know if they're putting anything out in print this preseason: decourcy@sportingnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It looks like in late 2012, they were already thinking of going digital-only but were convinced by long-time readers to continue publishing preseason previews. It's possible they've changed their minds about even that in 2017. There's an email and phone number in bullet point #1 of that link; I would reach out to see if they're still publishing. You could also contact lead college basketball writer Mike DeCourcy, who should know if they're putting anything out in print this preseason: decourcy@sportingnews.com
    I ordered mine (still a printed version) on-line last year (www.sportingnews.com). But they did merge with Street and Smith's for their college and pro football yearbooks this fall, both of which were available at newsstands.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I ordered mine (still a printed version) on-line last year (www.sportingnews.com). But they did merge with Street and Smith's for their college and pro football yearbooks this fall, both of which were available at newsstands.
    Just ordered the 2017-18 yearbook (combines NBA and college) at https://www.streetandsmiths.com/

Just ordered the 2017-18 yearbook (combines NBA and college) at https://www.streetandsmiths.com/
    i never got around to thanking you. You were right on the money. i eventually picked it up during one of my 3am 'i need a dozen fresh croissants and some black cherry yogurt and i need it NOW' runs to Walmart. Essentially has the same format as last year....mad
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Used to love Street&Smith's yearbooks. They had what limited info was out there on recruits (there was also an ACC-centric newsletter with the unfortunate name The Poop Sheet, published by Dennis Wuycik, which became ACC Sports Journal). I can remember the great 1977 class being touted in the edition that came out in the Fall of 1976 for the '76-'77 season. Albert King, Gene Banks, Earvin Johnson, Wayne McCoy, Jeff Ruland. And the best one was supposed to be Albert King, who'd already had a Sports Illustrated cover story in high school.

When I was an acolyte growing up in New Jersey, Rees Jones, a pretty well known golf course architect, would come up during communion and slip me copies of The Poop Sheet.

Barry Jacobs’ annual Fan’s Guide to ACC Basketball = smoking crack.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Barry Jacobs’ annual Fan’s Guide to ACC Basketball = smoking crack.
    You can find these on eBay now.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    You can find these on eBay now.
    If my hunch is correct, you deserve a badge of merit from this board.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    If my hunch is correct, you deserve a badge of merit from this board.
    MarkD83 definitely had a gameplan and executed it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    MarkD83 definitely had a gameplan and executed it well.
    An inspiration to us all.