Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Crow's nest gone, and back again!

The crow's nests at Cameron are gone. They are being replaced by a temporary structure because of safety concerns. Cameron will lose 30 seats. My seats are some of the ones being lost. I sat under the TV crow's nest. It was clearly dangerous. I can remember the night when Jim Valvano became very ill while broadcasting a game after his diagnosis of cancer. Removing him from the crow's nest was quite difficult. I can also remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar getting up there to broadcast a game, proving that he was still an athlete.

The crow's nests may have been antiquated, unsafe and inconvenient but they were part of what gives Cameron character.

Interesting. I'm OK with it all so long as there are undergrads posted as sentries to keep Billy Packer out of the new structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Interesting. I'm OK with it all so long as there are undergrads posted as sentries to keep Billy Packer out of the new structure.
    Forget the undergrads. I'd quit my job today for that kind of opportunity!

Disappointing to lose part of the building's history, but certainly understandable. I imagine the building must pre-date all modern laws concerning accessibility, but it always seemed like a precarious way to house the broadcasters. I'm curious how this will affect the video broadcast, since the cameras are also up in the crow's next. I always enjoy the different angle that we see when watching games from Cameron on TV, being closer and looking more down at the court.

So what happens to your tickets? Will they give you seats in another part of the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Disappointing to lose part of the building's history, but certainly understandable. I imagine the building must pre-date all modern laws concerning accessibility, but it always seemed like a precarious way to house the broadcasters. I'm curious how this will affect the video broadcast, since the cameras are also up in the crow's next. I always enjoy the different angle that we see when watching games from Cameron on TV, being closer and looking more down at the court.

So what happens to your tickets? Will they give you seats in another part of the stadium?
    Cameron Indoor Stadium, capacity 9,284.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Cameron Indoor Stadium, capacity 9,284.
    Damn, I'm going to have to change all of my passwords now. 9,314 just had that certain ring to it.

Good question - I will miss the traditional Cameron camera angle. I think most announcers had a love/hate relationship with the Crow's Nest. It was a pain for them to get up there (both in terms of climbing the ladder and getting there from the media room) and I know it was usually the hottest spot in Cameron (which is already very hot), but it gave them a unique perspective and gave them some separation from having fans leaning over their shoulders and accidentally (or purposely) spitting on them at courtside.

I will also miss the lost seats in Cameron. 9.314 is etched in my brain - one of my favorite party tricks is having people say "isn't Cameron small" and I immediately reply "yes, it seats 9,314."

Since the Crow's Nest was dismantled immediately following Bob Harris' retirement, I hope he got an option on keeping it (if he wanted it) and perhaps they name the new space after him in recognition of his extraordinary career, rather than naming it after the highest bidder.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The article shows a picture of the new solution, it's a platform where the crow's nest was. (Temporary until 2018)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Scalped tickets for a reasonable price directly at center court several years ago. Got to our seats and one of the crow's nest ladders was directly behind them. Wasn't a big deal, perfectly fine seats, but did get slightly conked when they lowered the ladder back down at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Female, preferably.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

This stinks. I also think they should film the games in 16mm from the locations hanging from the roof at the near the SW corner and have carbon arc spotlights on the players located in the end zones - for introductions. Also, ya'll stay off my lawn.

Crow's nest gone!

Losing approximately 30 prime seats to accommodate new booth.😡
    Sorry for not providing links, but certainly are easy to find.

ricks

They've moved us to a different location further down but not at midcourt.

Trying to get to our seats when the ladder was down was a real problem. There was a guy sitting just behind the ladder who helped. I kept meaning to ask the guy whether his ticket was comped in exchange for grappling with the ladder which was heavy especially after they switched from a wooden to a metal ladder.

The TV people mostly stayed in the crow's nest at halftime and then after the game until the fans got out except fir Dickie V. In recent years he was leaving at the half for a time. I assume as he got older that he couldn't be away from a restroom for more than two hours.

So many great memories from Cameron. I was fortunate enough to work for Coach D'armi in Cameron in the early nineties. During the Gulf War, for one of the games we had to bring in extra security. A day or two before, a protest at another school (Missouri? I believe), students had toppled an ESPN production truck. I was up in the crows nest, as I was for many games when the students started chanting "USA! USA! USA!". One of the announcers (I believe it was Mike Patrick) looked at Vitale and said something to the effect of "Holy $#!#!! That is one of the loudest things I have ever heard!" The experience of seeing a game from up there was truly special. But, WOW DID IT GET HOT!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Losing approximately 30 prime seats to accommodate new booth.😡
    Sorry for not providing links, but certainly are easy to find.

ricks
    hallcity beat you to it here

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    This stinks. I also think they should film the games in 16mm from the locations hanging from the roof at the near the SW corner and have carbon arc spotlights on the players located in the end zones - for introductions. Also, ya'll stay off my lawn.
    The jumbotron has to go! I want a scoreboard with lots of burned out light bulbs, no replay capability, and especially no infantile dance-for-you-money, monkey-camera-pans over the crowd that distract them from harassing the opposing players and bench!

Edit: And more troughs!

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    The jumbotron has to go! I want a scoreboard with lots of burned out light bulbs, no replay capability, and especially no infantile dance-for-you-money, monkey-camera-pans over the crowd that distract them from harassing the opposing players and bench!

And glass panels with the team and players names that can be changed for each game.

Another thing. We need to have the usher held ropes at half time and the end of games to keep the crowd off the court and allow the teams to get to the tunnel and to the visiting team locker room!
    Last edited by Indoor66; 09-20-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Add 2nd paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I'm just throwing it out there...but there was 0 waiting for any bathrooms at oktoberfest....troughs may have some downsides....but space efficiency is not one of them.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm just throwing it out there...but there was 0 waiting for any bathrooms at oktoberfest...troughs may have some downsides...but space efficiency is not one of them.
    Yea, I miss the troughs at w-wade and Cameron. I particularly enjoyed reactions when visiting fans thought the center hand washing stations were uronsks.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yea, I miss the troughs at w-wade and Cameron. I particularly enjoyed reactions when visiting fans thought the center hand washing stations were uronsks.
    I've heard stories about the troughs. The new bathrooms are nice and more convenient, but as a female life-long Wallace Wade attendee, I never minded having to scrape the dead leaves off the potty before sitting. Apparently I am among the minority.