Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Our biggest issue this week might not be our punt returning but actually our punting. Austin Parker couldn't punt to save his life last week and if he can't pin the cheats inside the 20 at least a few times on Saturday we might be in trouble.
    He seemed more inconsistent than not being able to punt for his life. In fact, he seemed to get better as the game went along. His placement punts could maybe have been better, but we also had some bad luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    He seemed more inconsistent than not being able to punt for his life. In fact, he seemed to get better as the game went along. His placement punts could maybe have been better, but we also had some bad luck there.
    Unfortunately he punts farther when he's pooch kicking, showing that a relaxed motion is more effective. Baylor and NW each flipped the field on us a few times which is regrettable, considering the defense did its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    You are correct. Each of the local teams patronizes a local hotel for the evening before a home game.

Duke has a routine that changes little except for occasional adjustment because of the kickoff time the next day. A short while after the team arrives and each player gets settled into the room assigned to him, team meetings and the evening meal get underway.
    we have had the dubious honor for years (me and my travelling companion) of staying at the Marriott RTP out on Miami Blvd where the hole team stays friday nights before home games...I have chatted up some of their players on the elevator, and they tend to be
    pleasant young fellows, as much as I wish them a distinct lack of gridiron success.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we have had the dubious honor for years (me and my travelling companion) of staying at the Marriott RTP out on Miami Blvd where the hole team stays friday nights before home games...I have chatted up some of their players on the elevator, and they tend to be
    pleasant young fellows, as much as I wish them a distinct lack of gridiron success.
    Did you have to point them to the correct floor or could they read their key?

With a few examples, I'd have been happy to have had most of their football and basketball players on our team.

I just don't like their athletic administrators, coaches, university leaders, faculty, fans, and cyan-azure attitude.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    With a few examples, I'd have been happy to have had most of their football and basketball players on our team.
    There is a reason that many of them chose a school that they knew would shuffle them through without having to do any real work.
    I'm happy that they made the choice they did, they would not have survived at Duke. Blame the coaches, and the players. One said "Party on Garth!" and the other replied "Schwing!" Both guilty.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Unfortunately he punts farther when he's pooch kicking, showing that a relaxed motion is more effective. Baylor and NW each flipped the field on us a few times which is regrettable, considering the defense did its job.
    I thought he had a number of encouraging kicks in the second half. Now, as a Duke football fan, I have a lot of basketball expertise, so maybe what looked good to me wasn't that great.

Hopefully, we'll get this figured out, because it was disheartening for the defense to do so well and then have the opposing team dump us back an extra 25 yards on punts. If that differential holds this weekend, it's going to be a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Duke football team has been staying in hotels before home games since the 1960's; at least, that was the practice when I was in school and I thought it had continued.
    Is the primary reason for this to ensure kids don't stay out late the night before a game, to establish a similar routine before all games (home or away), or something else entirely? Any insight on why the practice started?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Is the primary reason for this to ensure kids don't stay out late the night before a game, to establish a similar routine before all games (home or away), or something else entirely? Any insight on why the practice started?
    Control. Football coaches love control. Minimize chances for player escapades, distractions, etc. Eating, sleeping, meetings are controlled with a very rigid schedule.
    (pretty expensive, of course, but what the heck, it's college football).

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Focus, focus, focus. "Staying out late" is only one of the reasons, I expect. There are team meals and team meetings. There is no athletic dorm at Duke, so the football players are spread out at on-campus and off-campus locations. And, I suppose, there are distractions...

Anyway, Bill Murray started it in either 1962 or 1963.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Another good injury report for Duke this week.

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)
    good report

Way better than last year's, but Cutcliffe's methodology doesn't exactly inspire trust. Bracey and Rahming weren't listed last week, either. We'll just have to see who gets used -- can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Way better than last year's, but Cutcliffe's methodology doesn't exactly inspire trust. Bracey and Rahming weren't listed last week, either. We'll just have to see who gets used -- can't wait!
    They did both play.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Didn't know where this belonged, but conrats to Gabe.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)
    Happy to see Rahming and Bracey missing from that list.

Thanks.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Didn't know where this belonged, but conrats to Gabe.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    The lede on the story --
    DURHAM, N.C. – Duke redshirt senior offensive tackle Gabe Brandner has been named to the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®, the Allstate Insurance Company and American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) announced on Thursday. The Good Works Team® award honors dedication to volunteerism and enriching the lives of others.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)
    The UNC injury report:

Out for the Season:
    Antwuan Branch, TB
    Jesse Cuccia, S
    Luke Elder, OL
    D.J. Ford, S
    Thomas Jackson, WR
    Jacob Schmidt, TB
    Andre Smith, LB
    William Sweet, OT
    Noah Turner, TE

Out:
    Tommy Hatton, OL
    Tyler Pritchett, OL
    Ben Stobaugh, CB
    Stanton Truitt, TB

Doubtful:
    Corey Bell Jr., CB
    Jalen Dalton, DT

Questionable:
    Cam Dillard, C
    Rontavius Groves, WR
    Dazz Newsome, WR
    Bentley Spain, OT

http://scout.com/college/north-carol...son--107741210

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The UNC injury report:

Out for the Season:
    Antwuan Branch, TB
    Jesse Cuccia, S
    Luke Elder, OL
    D.J. Ford, S
    Thomas Jackson, WR
    Jacob Schmidt, TB
    Andre Smith, LB
    William Sweet, OT
    Noah Turner, TE

Out:
    Tommy Hatton, OL
    Tyler Pritchett, OL
    Ben Stobaugh, CB
    Stanton Truitt, TB

Doubtful:
    Corey Bell Jr., CB
    Jalen Dalton, DT

Questionable:
    Cam Dillard, C
    Rontavius Groves, WR
    Dazz Newsome, WR
    Bentley Spain, OT

http://scout.com/college/north-carol...son--107741210
    How do they have anyone left to play? That's a crazy long list.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    How do they have anyone left to play? That's a crazy long list.
    We need to be careful. Injured teams often can step up for a game. Particularly a rivalry game. Duke is a prime example, even though the game was long ago. In 1971, an injury-depleted Blue Devil squad traveled to Palo Alto and nipped 10th ranked Stanford, 9-3. Duke was so low on players, two linemen had to play both ways. (The game was decided by Ernie Jackson's pick-six.)