Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Defensive linemen, linebackers, offensive linemen and the team needs a quarterback in every class.
    Can we merge this with the "Loss Coping" thread? I mean, nothing has helped me get over that loss like this good news in FB!!!!!

Oh, and to your list above..."even more offensive linemen."

BangBang DukeGang

Duke receives a committment from in-state three star athlete Jordan Waters from Fairmont with offers from WF and ECU.

That makes 6 NC 5 recruits in the 2019 class.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...mits-117609039
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    BangBang DukeGang
    Running List:

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
    2. Tony Davis (DB)
    3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
    4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
    5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
    6. Donavon Greene (WR)
    7. Eli Pancol (WR)
    8. Jordan Waters (ATH)
    Bob Green

Welcome, one and all!

Article on Mr. Waters commitment.

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20...t-to-pick-duke
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Running List:

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
    2. Tony Davis (DB)
    3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
    4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
    5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
    6. Donavon Greene (WR)
    7. Eli Pancol (WR)
    8. Jordan Waters (ATH)
    Looking forward to a few *on*van TDs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We need THIS...

Can we possibly get one of these? We need this badly...probably would've been worth 3-4 wins last season...
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...205876489.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Looking forward to a few *on*van TDs.
    I think you might mean *on*v*n .

We had another *on*v*n who worked out pretty well for is in the past at WR, that's for sure.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think you might mean *on*v*n .
    Him too!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Can we possibly get one of these? We need this badly...probably would've been worth 3-4 wins last season...
    This is impressive. I'm surprised he could let go of the balls to put them in the trash can, as much "sticky" as he has on them.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...tte--118103150

Jacob Monk is apparently not good enough to get by with being "one of the more athletic interior guys we’ve seen this spring" , he also needs to be "a physical, powerful dude in the trenches" just to get "up to a four-star rating after film review."

Here is the quote sans commentary:

A Duke commit, Monk is one of the more athletic interior guys we’ve seen this spring but he’s also a physical, powerful dude in the trenches. He’s up to a four-star rating after film review.
    Bob Green

Duke offensive line commit Jacob Monk headed to The Opening in Dallas:

@TheOpening

#TheOpening Finals O-Line roster got a whole lot stronger today. 💪

Congrats big men, see y'all in Dallas.
    It all starts in the trenches.
    Bob Green

A Stupid Question??

Why are folks "committed" to Duke '19 "blessed" to get offers from other schools?

As I remember, our top rated recruits from the last two years ended up at UNCheat and State.

That sucks.

I met a guy several years ago whose son was a 5* offensive lineman recruit that was committed to Clemson. He went on a visit to another school and Clemson dropped him in a New York cab driver second. (sad side note - he ended up at UNCheat)

I hope we eventually end up at a point where we can dump recruits the are not committed to their commitment.

Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    At uNCcheat that’s an entire semester worth of A’s right there. The things going into the garbage can are the resulting “diplomas” received.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Why are folks "committed" to Duke '19 "blessed" to get offers from other schools?

As I remember, our top rated recruits from the last two years ended up at UNCheat and State.

That sucks.

I met a guy several years ago whose son was a 5* offensive lineman recruit that was committed to Clemson. He went on a visit to another school and Clemson dropped him in a New York cab driver second. (sad side note - he ended up at UNCheat)

I hope we eventually end up at a point where we can dump recruits the are not committed to their commitment.

Thoughts??
    Cut has done that on a couple of occasions in the last 2-3 years, IIRC. Visit another school after a verbal commit to Duke? Ahhh, see ya!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

As noted by Ozzie in the offseason thread, Zonovan Knight decommitted.

https://www.highschoolot.com/zonovan...duke/17568762/

I agree with the front page article that football recruiting has a frustrating lack of emphasis on the definition of "commitment," but I am not sure what is meant by the phrase, "football and character are often associated with little reason."

Football has PR problems galore, and the NFL in particular does an atrocious job of highlighting the "good guys" of the sport (other than JJ Watt and a few others). NFL rosters are full of guys who spend their down time visiting local schools and charities, especially on weekdays after practice during the season. When I was in high school, a starting linebacker for the Carolina Panthers drove 1.5 hours one way after practice during the playoffs to visit our local Communities in Schools program. That's the norm, and the NFL really touted that stuff back in the '90's.

In college towns, you can find football players (as well as many other athletes) helping out with school reading programs and local fundraising drives (and in Durham, at the children's hospital) on almost any day of the week. People who follow the programs closely get to find out about that stuff, but it's a shame that there's not more push among football people to shine light on the high character guys in order to counter all of the bad press.

Note: Cam Newton does a lot of "stay in school" work around Charlotte, but it's kind of ironic given his shady college years.

Here’s another decommit, unfortunately. Donovan Greene has decommitted. He is a very good wide receiver prospect. He, too, is now being recruited by bigger programs and is listening. It’s frustrating, but this is the world of major football recruiting. Also why I like the early signing period. If you unexpectedly lose a commitment, you at least have some time to look for replacements. At least in our case, we have plenty of time.

I am very concerned about a Jakob Monk, our recent offensive line commitment. He is getting lots of press and will be a target of major programs. Hope he stays firm.

As for Cut’s past stance on decommitments, it’s understandable and I don’t blame him. Again, this happens often at the major level. I wonder if he will change course and try to hold on to certain players. Deon Jackson was receruited heavily by Notre Dame after committing to Duke but kept his commitment. He never decommitted though. Cut might just feel like if the kid decommitted, he’s not coming. Why waste time.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...mits-118448587

But if you want to feel better about recruiting, here’s a little piece on Duke commit Eli Pancol, a wide receiver who says his commitment is 100%.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ting-118429263