Can anyone defend Kelvin Sampson for the latest phone call scandal at Indiana? Is there any way to possibly spin this as something other than a blatant attempt by him to get around NCAA rules?

I mean, he had to know that he was banned from making phone calls to recruits for a year, right? No way he did not realize that ban was in place, is there? So, when his assistant coaches call recruits and then conference Kelvin in on a 3-way-call is there any way to spin this as anything other than Sampson just blatantly trying to cheat? Someone please explain to me how he is not a lying, cheating, piece of pond scum?!!??!?!?!

I know it would seem excessive, but the NCAA needs to just throw the book at this clown and at Indiana for hiring him (when they knew he was a cheater). There has to be some punishment that really fits the crime here. It seems Sampson is addicted to cheating at recruiting so maybe the NCAA could make it so that Indiana was not allowed to give any new scholarships for the next 1 or 2 years. The problem is that would decimate the program. Maybe only allow him to give a total of 3 scholarships over the next 2 years. Hmmm, I like that.

Indiana already took away $500k of Sampson's salary, meaning he will only earna pittiful 1.1 million dollars this year. Boo hoo for him. The NCAA should take away the rest of his salary. Leave him with $50-grand or so to live on. Heck, his assistants probably only make about that amount.

Oh, and I would ban him from talking on the phone with recruits for the next 5 years. I think the NCAA should send a letter to the families of evey kid being recruited by Indiana informing them that Sampson is not allowed to talk on the phone with them or text them or email them or have any communication at all except for face-to-face stuff and letters through the mail. I'd tell the families that if they get a phone call or some other communication from Sampson they should report it right away.

I hate this clown. The only good thing about him is that his departure from Oklahoma allowed the classy and brilliant Jeff Capel to get that job.

--Jason "I love that many former IU players are calling for Sampson to be fired... I love that they know their program is about more than just winning at all costs" Evans