View Poll Results: What OAD player do you most wish came back for a sophomore campaign?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corey Maggette, 1999

2 1.45%
  • Luol Deng, 2004

30 21.74%
  • Kyrie Irving, 2011

68 49.28%
  • Austin Rivers, 2012

1 0.72%
  • Jabari Parker, 2014

1 0.72%
  • Jahlil Okafor, 2015

2 1.45%
  • Justice Winslow, 2015

3 2.17%
  • Tyus Jones, 2015

23 16.67%
  • Brandon Ingram, 2016

2 1.45%
  • Jayson Tatum, 2017

1 0.72%
  • Harry Giles, 2017

4 2.90%
  • Frank Jackson, 2017

1 0.72%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Kyrie hands down! There was a lot of conversation that season that Duke would have gone undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Deng...but also think about Tatum and this incoming team. Tough call but going with Luol. JJ would have had a championship.
    yeaaaaaaah, that tatum guy....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Tyus the Assassin. Every shot went in, didn't it? Seriously, he made some crucial shots and was a stone-cold killer.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Kyrie. On offense, no one could stop him. But what sets him apart from the others is that no one could stop the team. When he has the ball, he makes everyone else better.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Kyrie. On offense, no one could stop him. But what sets him apart from the others is that no one could stop the team. When he has the ball, he makes everyone else better.
    This.

Kyrie and Austin in the backcourt a whole lot different than Austin with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Deng...but also think about Tatum and this incoming team. Tough call but going with Luol. JJ would have had a championship.
    JJ didn't need Deng to get a championship. All he needed was a couple of decent refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    He'd have been paired in the backcourt with Austin Rivers. There's only one ball, y'all ...
    I. DON'T. CARE.

I wanna see a full season of Kyrie and have him utterly destroy Carolina.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I. DON'T. CARE.

I wanna see a full season of Kyrie and have him utterly destroy Carolina.
    i'm pretty sure that's what Austin did..

ATTENTION...UNC FANS...DR. RIVERS IS HERE FOR YOUR PROCTOLOGY EXAM...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    He'd have been paired in the backcourt with Austin Rivers. There's only one ball, y'all ...
    They were awesome as backcourt teammates on the 2010 u18 national team coached by Jeff Capel... I think they would've been awesome at Duke together.
    Last edited by subzero02; 09-16-2017 at 12:10 AM.

I disagree with the most popular pick because I don't think we would have won the 2012 title starting Kyrie and Austin... 2011 was more suited to doing well with a healthy Kyrie because Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler were great defenders and didn't need to dominate the ball to be effective on offense.

So the pick is Luol Deng because I think it gives us the best chance of adding another national title while not jeopardizing an existing one (a good case could be made for one of the 2015 guys for the same reason).

but!!!

having kyrie running the point for the entire season, with nolan at the 2 IS the magic combo...the problem was having nolan (who was KILLING it at point) move off his position, and into a new role at the last minute...

I'm bad at DBR because I don't like to live in the past, but Luol Deng and Brandon Ingram are the only people on this list whose hypothetical sophomore years could have stopped UNC national titles.

I would have liked to see Tyus for another year. He was not projected to be OAD when he was recruited and came in. Kyrie... yes, it would have been fun to see him in full health (presumably second year), but he was OAD even before coming to Duke. So to me, no chance for that to happen. And going #1.. he was not coming back. Most of the others were projected OAD before they got to Duke... so to me, no chance for a second year. But for the other not projected OAD, a second year with Tyus would have been fun for me... (note that I'm not looking at championship possibilities.. just who I would have liked to see for a second year)

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I disagree with the most popular pick because I don't think we would have won the 2012 title starting Kyrie and Austin... 2011 was more suited to doing well with a healthy Kyrie because Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler were great defenders and didn't need to dominate the ball to be effective on offense.

So the pick is Luol Deng because I think it gives us the best chance of adding another national title while not jeopardizing an existing one (a good case could be made for one of the 2015 guys for the same reason).
    I didn't look at this as which gives us the best chance at a natty but rather who I would like to have seen for another year.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Just because Irving seems to be the popular vote, I'll go Giles. Would love to see a healthy (or as close to it as he will be) HG. We got but a fleeting view of his potential. Still hope we can see it in the NBA.

Hey lookie, my off-hand question turned into a poll overnight! Nifty.

Have to vote Irving, but it does look like my instinct was right that most here agree.

I also would have loved another season of Winslow. I feel he would have taken everything to the next level and really made a mark.

Tatum too would have been a special player this year.

But Irving - man. That kid would have made college defenders just go home and cry. At halftime.

My top3 would be Irving, Deng, Tyus Jones. Seems to fit in with the majority of voters.

Irving for me. I have a hard time thinking 2012 ends on such a sour note with Irving on the team. Loul, Jayson and Harry are great choices as well. Shaun Livingston doesn't fit the criteria but it would have been neat to see him in Duke blue.
    Last edited by azzefkram; 09-16-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i'm pretty sure that's what Austin did..

ATTENTION...UNC FANS...DR. RIVERS IS HERE FOR YOUR PROCTOLOGY EXAM...
    So sweet. What a golden memory...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I didn't look at this as which gives us the best chance at a natty but rather who I would like to have seen for another year.
    Yep, that's why I voted for Brandon Ingram - I absolutely enjoyed his time with the team.