Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Why introduce another reference point? 99.9% of US sports fans do not need to do any calculation at all to determine when a game is on locally if given the starting time in the Eastern time zone. The conversion is automatic.
    Sorry. I was speaking generally as to the use of GMT/UTC offset instead of using arbitrary words to describe timezones. I don't think it's necessary to do it for these threads for the reasons you stated, and I did not mean to suggest that in my post.

On espn.com, there is an article about the biggest surprises after the first two weeks by Mel Kiper and Todd McShay: http://www.espn.com/college-football...urprise-week-2. The cool part for Duke fans is, in the section on "Prospects on the Rise", McShay writes:

QB Daniel Jones, Duke

Jones is legit. He was awesome during the second half of last season (completed around 64 percent of his throws with nine TDs and just one interception in his final six games), but nobody noticed because Duke was losing. This season, the Blue Devils are off to 2-0 start, including Saturday's 41-17 upset of Northwestern. I look forward to seeing what he can do this season against better ACC competition.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    In light of this point, can a mod please change the thread title to the correct timezone? I would prefer if nobody thinks that I cannot tell the difference between EST and EDT. For those who get confused between the two or are used to the European convention (where S denotes Summer), most people in areas that do not observe Daylight Savings Time are pretty capable of mentally making the conversion themselves, so ET usually works year around.
    EST means Eastern Standard Time, the timing convention in use when that time zone is not in daylight-saving mode (EDT). There are indeed European Summer time zones, but they use EEST, CEST, and WEST acronyms.

Am I the only one that does not find the game time postings confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Additionally, Duke is the center of the universe. Eastern time zone it is.
    We could add the day of the week and an am/pm. More importantly, I would prefer that the football game times were pegged to Durham a bit more specifically. So:

FB: Baylor at Duke, Saturday September 16 at 12:30 PM Bull City Time

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Gonna just throw this out there. I'd love to attend the game Saturday, but I also have a huge exam in 2 weeks (Cardiology board exams) to study for. If anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is thinking of going, I'd love to join, I'll pay more than my fair share of gas and grub, but I do need to spend some of the time in the car there and back studying. When in Durham though, I'll be cheering my butt off!
    You are welcome to come join our grubfest at our tailgate on Blue Devil Alley this week (Going old school classic with burgers/hotdogs/fries); our resident cardiologist (DevilDeac) can even help you study! (Although he's more likely to educate you on the finer points of some of the beers we'll be tasting instead of ventricles.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So "YES" is showing it on Tape Delay? I hope that doesn't mean i'm blacked out on WatchESPN, ugh.
    Did anyone ever get any resolution on this? Will be less than pleased if NYC metro is the only place in the country where you can't watch this game live.

Comcast is showing the game in the DC Metro area.

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Money quote re QB change:
    QB Zach Smith — Anu Solomon is actually out for Saturday’s game due to the concussion protocol, meaning true freshman Charlie Brewer will be the backup.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

May Baylor be stricken with many illegal procedure/formation and offside penalties, in addition to multiple blown assignments on the OL and DL and coverages on our TE and WR on Saturday due to all the new starters getting used to playing together.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I am really glad to see articles like that about our opponents rather than our own team.

Music to my ears:

Duke Football‏Verified account
    @DukeFOOTBALL
    Following

"I think we're going to be a much better football team Saturday than we were the first two weeks," @DavidCutcliffe
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Music to my ears:
    Interesting quote as we both agreed our Devils looked pretty good as they dismantled Northwestern. I can't wait to see the "better" version.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Interesting quote as we both agreed our Devils looked pretty good as they dismantled Northwestern. I can't wait to see the "better" version.
    If you are not moving forward, you are going backward.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

"If you're not first, you're last."

-- Reece Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by asbcheeks View Post
    Did anyone ever get any resolution on this? Will be less than pleased if NYC metro is the only place in the country where you can't watch this game live.
    I would not expect a blackout map until Thursday at the earliest. Based on similar situations in the past, it is likely to be unrestricted in the YES area if they are not carrying it live.

"If you don't learn, fix and get better when you're winning, the winning will stop." @DavidCutcliffe

My cliche is better than you cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    My cliche is better than you cliche.
    Don't be an idiom.