Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Pipe Dream question, but a guy can dream.

Based on the story from the home page on a former coach saying that Jones should consider the NFL next year, I wonder what it would take for Daniel Jones to get some Heisman talk. Would 6-0 and great stats get him some pub? Would Duke need to beat FSU and Jones have a huge game?
    Pipe dream answer:

Duke getting to 6-0 before the FSU game would mean we would likely lead the Coastal, would have a win over Miami, and would have beaten the Heels. Duke-FSU would be a nice hype game. A great performance there, and especially a Duke win, would make Jones a hot topic I would think.

Having said that, we are still a few weeks away from even breaking into the top 25 in that scenario. A win over Baylor (if we get one) doesn't move us up, and then a win over the 1-2 or 0-3 Heels (if we get one) likewise doesn't do much. UNC plays Old Dominion this week, so a win doesn't bump them up in respect and a loss sinks them.

Miami would be a key game to break through. Then Virginia, which got trounced by Indiana.

But back to current reality -- hoping to beat Baylor and stay healthy.

Baylor announces a QB change: sophomore Zach Smith will start at QB.

Smith is more of a deep threat than starting qb anu Solomon, but is not a threat to run. It's probably a wash as far as Duke is concerned

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Pipe dream answer:

Duke getting to 6-0 before the FSU game would mean we would likely lead the Coastal, would have a win over Miami, and would have beaten the Heels. Duke-FSU would be a nice hype game. A great performance there, and especially a Duke win, would make Jones a hot topic I would think.

Having said that, we are still a few weeks away from even breaking into the top 25 in that scenario. A win over Baylor (if we get one) doesn't move us up, and then a win over the 1-2 or 0-3 Heels (if we get one) likewise doesn't do much. UNC plays Old Dominion this week, so a win doesn't bump them up in respect and a loss sinks them.

Miami would be a key game to break through. Then Virginia, which got trounced by Indiana.

But back to current reality -- hoping to beat Baylor and stay healthy.
    I mostly agree with you, but a small quibble--while wins over the next two weeks aren't going to do much for Duke's resume in a vacuum, it would be two additional weeks of NOT LOSING. Attrition among the top-25, especially the latter half of the top-25, could very well have Duke flirting with a number next to its name.

Of course, all that is fun to think about, but it'll take DJ some extraordinary play over the next few weeks to even enter the Heisman conversation. He would almost certainly need to post numbers even better than some of the other bros already in consideration (e.g., Lamar Jax, Sam Darnold, etc.). I do think, after the way Baylor has played to-date, DJ has as good an opportunity ahead on Saturday to put up gaudy stats as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sagarin's rankings say Duke is #38 with a 78.05 rating. Baylor is 78th with a 67.07. When you factor in Sagarin's 2.41 point home field advantage, he projects that Duke will win by 13 1/2 points... so the 12 point line is a bargain if you like Duke
    The sharps agree with that analysis, but they were on top of it really fast. The line was already up to 13.5 when I looked early this morning and is currently up to a full two touchdowns. The bargain window was a short one I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Baylor announces a QB change: sophomore Zach Smith will start at QB.

Smith is more of a deep threat than starting qb anu Solomon, but is not a threat to run. It's probably a wash as far as Duke is concerned
    Last season, Smith had a 139.2 QB rating as a true freshman with 13 TDs against 7 INTs. Started their last four games.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So as I'm sure we all anticipated when Duke first contracted Baylor for a home and home, Duke opened as a 9.5 point FAVORITE over Baylor next week. The line quickly jumped to 13, before dropping now to 12.

Baylor's Offense was pretty awful against UTSA at home last week, after looking good against FCS Liberty (admittedly, that performance against an FCS School carries little weight). Their Defense has been pretty awful against the pass both weeks, allowing over 7 yards per attempt in both games, while also allowing Liberty to rush for a ton of yards. Our offense should be able to score a bunch of points on Baylor, even if they get some things together. Whether our Defense will be majorly tested is unclear.
    One guy thought it was a good move: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...562#post303562

Quote Originally Posted by RazzyBailey31 View Post
    We just added Baylor in 2017 and 2018. Smart move I think. Recruiting hot bed and a winnable game against a BCS school.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/conte...wacbuduke.html

Gonna just throw this out there. I'd love to attend the game Saturday, but I also have a huge exam in 2 weeks (Cardiology board exams) to study for. If anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is thinking of going, I'd love to join, I'll pay more than my fair share of gas and grub, but I do need to spend some of the time in the car there and back studying. When in Durham though, I'll be cheering my butt off!
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Gonna just throw this out there. I'd love to attend the game Saturday, but I also have a huge exam in 2 weeks (Cardiology board exams) to study for. If anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is thinking of going, I'd love to join, I'll pay more than my fair share of gas and grub, but I do need to spend some of the time in the car there and back studying. When in Durham though, I'll be cheering my butt off!
    You could always consider the Amtrak. Plenty of time to study and a short Uber/Lyft ride to/from the stadium. Not sure if the scheduled times work, not that I would trust the schedule much...

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Somebody help this man!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Somebody help this man!
    If I lived in the area, I would trade the ride for future consideration of free Angioplasty/Stint.

(Getting to that age, you know . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Why hunt? awhom111 provides, and DBR ignores. A tradition unlike any other.

The thread: Television Information for Baylor Game

The link: http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-foot...aylor-at-duke/
    In light of this point, can a mod please change the thread title to the correct timezone? I would prefer if nobody thinks that I cannot tell the difference between EST and EDT. For those who get confused between the two or are used to the European convention (where S denotes Summer), most people in areas that do not observe Daylight Savings Time are pretty capable of mentally making the conversion themselves, so ET usually works year around.

Oops my bad Awhom, mod please fix?

I enjoy reading articles from upcoming opponent's hometown newspaper so here are a couple of links to Waco Tribune articles:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylo...6d9159165.html

“Jones is a threat on the perimeter, so there’s a lot we’ll have to work on schematically,” Rhule said. “The biggest thing about Coach (David) Cutcliffe’s offenses is that they’re methodical. If we overload the box, they’ll throw it.”
    http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylo...45f5342c5.html

“I look at things as sort of an overall picture,” Rhule said. “I wasn’t pleased with that. We need to start catching the football better and we need to protect. That’s one of the things I was afraid to have to battle with, and we’d better get a lot better quickly as we start to face better teams.”
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    In light of this point, can a mod please change the thread title to the correct timezone? I would prefer if nobody thinks that I cannot tell the difference between EST and EDT. For those who get confused between the two or are used to the European convention (where S denotes Summer), most people in areas that do not observe Daylight Savings Time are pretty capable of mentally making the conversion themselves, so ET usually works year around.
    the clearest is probably GMT -5:00 or as applicable.

or even better, just ditch DST and standardize on a fixed time year round, whether the current standard or DST time.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Bold is accurate. I know whether I'm 5 or 6 hours behind the eastern time zone at any given time. It's pretty much an instant mental conversion for ET and PT.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

or even better, just ditch DST and standardize on a fixed time year round, whether the current standard or DST time.
    Definitely this. I love not having DST. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Ugh. That would be even worse than when game threads use the 24-hour clock.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Ugh. That would be even worse than when game threads use the 24-hour clock.
    I think it would be a huge improvement. The names we use in the US for time zones are completely useless for anyone trying to convert between local time and the time in any given US timezone. For the GMT/UTC offset, all you need to know is your local time. Then you can quickly determine what time it is anywhere else in the world.

I'm GMT-10. During DST, Eastern is GMT-4. During standard time, it's GMT-5. In either case, it's a simple matter of adding or subtracting the difference to/from your local time. In most instances, you can count it on your fingers, so even UNC athletes could probably do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I think it would be a huge improvement. The names we use in the US for time zones are completely useless for anyone trying to convert between local time and the time in any given US timezone. For the GMT/UTC offset, all you need to know is your local time. Then you can quickly determine what time it is anywhere else in the world.

I'm GMT-10. During DST, Eastern is GMT-4. During standard time, it's GMT-5. In either case, it's a simple matter of adding or subtracting the difference to/from your local time. In most instances, you can count it on your fingers, so even UNC athletes could probably do it.
    Why introduce another reference point? 99.9% of US sports fans do not need to do any calculation at all to determine when a game is on locally if given the starting time in the Eastern time zone. The conversion is automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I enjoy reading articles from upcoming opponent's hometown newspaper so here are a couple of links to Waco Tribune articles:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylo...6d9159165.html

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylo...45f5342c5.html
    Dallas paper article on coach's press conference today.
    Change at QB, working on penalties in practice, playing lots of freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Why introduce another reference point? 99.9% of US sports fans do not need to do any calculation at all to determine when a game is on locally if given the starting time in the Eastern time zone. The conversion is automatic.
    Additionally, Duke is the center of the universe. Eastern time zone it is.