Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 34, Baylor 20

It's time to start thinking about the next game!

Here is the list of television stations carrying the game:
    http://www.theacc.com/sportfile.aspx...date=9/11/2017

Blackout information should be available later in the week, but it should include anywhere in the ACC footprint that has a television station carrying the game. Those in the blackout area can only watch through one of the listed channels, either on television or through their online service if they have one. Those outside the blackout zone can watch on one of the listed stations if they are an in-market subscriber, watch on ESPN College Extra (channel assignments available later in the week) if their provider is a subcriber, or watch online through WatchESPN.

FB: Baylor at Duke, September 16 at 12:30 EDT

So as I'm sure we all anticipated when Duke first contracted Baylor for a home and home, Duke opened as a 9.5 point FAVORITE over Baylor next week. The line quickly jumped to 13, before dropping now to 12.

Baylor's Offense was pretty awful against UTSA at home last week, after looking good against FCS Liberty (admittedly, that performance against an FCS School carries little weight). Their Defense has been pretty awful against the pass both weeks, allowing over 7 yards per attempt in both games, while also allowing Liberty to rush for a ton of yards. Our offense should be able to score a bunch of points on Baylor, even if they get some things together. Whether our Defense will be majorly tested is unclear.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-11-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Continued improvement, staying healthy, and a win is what I want to see.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So as I'm sure we all anticipated when Duke first contracted Baylor for a home and home, Duke opened as a 9.5 point FAVORITE over Baylor next week. The line quickly jumped to 13, before dropping now to 12.

Baylor's Offense was pretty awful against UTSA at home last week, after looking good against FCS Liberty (admittedly, that performance against an FCS School carries little weight). Their Defense has been pretty awful against the pass both weeks, allowing over 7 yards per attempt in both games, while also allowing Liberty to rush for a ton of yards. Our offense should be able to score a bunch of points on Baylor, even if they get some things together. Whether our Defense will be majorly tested is unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Let's go Duke!
    If we play with the intelligence and intensity that we showed against Northwestern, we should do well against Baylor. If we don't,... well..., I don't want to think about it.

Thought for the day: there seems to a fair amount of NFL talent in our defensive secondary.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thought for the day: there seems to a fair amount of NFL talent in our defensive secondary.
    sage: much respect for you , but let's wait until we actually play a decent offensive team before we label members of our secondary as NFL-level talent. We have played NCCU and Northwestern. Baylor might not be a worthwhile measuring stick either.

Just saw a commercial on FoxSportsSouth for the game, for those hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If we play with the intelligence and intensity that we showed against Northwestern, we should do well against Baylor. If we don't,... well..., I don't want to think about it.

... and at QB

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    It's time to start thinking about the next game!

Here is the list of television stations carrying the game:
    http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-foot...aylor-at-duke/

Blackout information should be available later in the week, but it should include anywhere in the ACC footprint that has a television station carrying the game. Those in the blackout area can only watch through one of the listed channels, either on television or through their online service if they have one. Those outside the blackout zone can watch on one of the listed stations if they are an in-market subscriber, watch on ESPN College Extra (channel assignments available later in the week) if their provider is a subcriber, or watch online through WatchESPN.
    So "YES" is showing it on Tape Delay? I hope that doesn't mean i'm blacked out on WatchESPN, ugh.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just saw a commercial on FoxSportsSouth for the game, for those hunting.
    Why hunt? awhom111 provides, and DBR ignores. A tradition unlike any other.

The thread: Television Information for Baylor Game

The link: http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-foot...aylor-at-duke/

does anyone know what channel it will be on in munich
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Fünf?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Fünf?
    funf? the numbers don't go that high at this time of the year...they stop at g'suffa!
    April 1

You guys need some zeeveeneerslider
    (German for Vaseline)

To be fair, I'm not sure what anyone should have expected the line to be at the time this game was contracted. I can't find a press release, but using the internet archive and fbschedules.com, I can find a reference to this game as far back as January 2010. As of that time, both teams previous bowl appearance was in the 1994 season and Daniel Jones was 12 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ESPNein

Acht, diese schrecklichen Wortspiele machen mich in-zehn.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    To be fair, I'm not sure what anyone should have expected the line to be at the time this game was contracted. I can't find a press release, but using the internet archive and fbschedules.com, I can find a reference to this game as far back as January 2010. As of that time, both teams previous bowl appearance was in the 1994 season and Daniel Jones was 12 years old.
    Good intel! I for one am shocked Baylor has fallen as far as they have, both on and off the field. I am less surprised that Duke has surged to a program being favored by double digits vs a Big 12 opponent with tons of talent on the roster (ok a little surprised at the defenses performance but the offense has been trending this way, even last year when the numbers were down.)

I mentioned last week in a post (more of a stream of consciousness really) that I for one would love to see us attack with the deep ball. Clearly if you cannot
    1. control the LOS (or find ways to mitigate it if you cant control it)
    2. stay consistent with the run, and
    3. protect the football

...then the deep ball isn't going to have much of an impact.

So lets say this years offense has this foundation in place with a talented-enough Oline with depth, solid run game, and good ball control, and then has a QB, WRs and TEs that can convert consistently with the intermediate passing game. Rahming has been very good at using his smaller stature to get open underneath the defense. And our TE's are usually reliable if the ball hits their hands. So now you've got balance. If you are proficient with just those things, a defense can line up and know what you are good at and match up accordingly and you can still manage to win more individual matchups then you lose and be a good offense.

Now lets say you have a poised QB who can run if needed, and who can spot - at the line of scrimmage - either a bad set or a deficiency in the defense and attack with an audible. Now you've got a great offense. Thats what I expected this year, because I saw all of those things coming into place in 2017. What I hoped we would show - assuming all of the aformentioned things were in place - is the ability to connect consistently with the deep ball.

If a defense has to account for that in order to avoid us getting multiple explosive plays and their safety is cheating even half a step every other play, or corner is a step or two further from the LOS to account for this, that creates a ton of advantages on what could be 50/50 matchups. That is what turns this offense into an unstoppable offense.

(Also WRT the bubble screens etc., some spread offenses have been successful (Clemson 2013-2015; Oregon 2012-2013) at identifying certain opponents that will control the LOS regardless, and still have success with what was usually thought of as "gimmicky" ways to get the ball out in the perimeter immediately. Theres an obvious ceiling though for those offenses, and its not something that a classic Cutcliffe offense would ever rely heavily on, but there's a place for it in small doses IMO.)

Anyway, I'm ecstatic at how our defense looked and cautiously optimistic that we will see them continue to improve as they gain experience and confidence. But I'm bullish about this offense; FSU and Miami will be a huge test but I think this offense can put up points on anyone. Obviously if the defense and special teams are doing their job it will make us that much more dangerous, and vice versa, but I truly believe this will be an offense that can keep us in it against anyone we play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Let's go Duke!
    Continued improvement with the running game (other than DJ) especially will open things up even more. I am impressed again by the team speed. Can't remember seeing a Devil squad this quick.

Pipe Dream question, but a guy can dream.

Based on the story from the home page on a former coach saying that Jones should consider the NFL next year, I wonder what it would take for Daniel Jones to get some Heisman talk. Would 6-0 and great stats get him some pub? Would Duke need to beat FSU and Jones have a huge game?

Sagarin's rankings say Duke is #38 with a 78.05 rating. Baylor is 78th with a 67.07. When you factor in Sagarin's 2.41 point home field advantage, he projects that Duke will win by 13 1/2 points... so the 12 point line is a bargain if you like Duke

The Massey ratings also have Duke at #38, but have Baylor at #85. The tumble that Baylor has taken is really stunning. On Oct 29th of last year, prior to playing at Texas, Baylor was 6-0 and ranked #8 in the nation. They had won 10+ game 3 years in a row, I bet fewer than 5 other programs in the country had won 10+ games 3 years in a row at that point.

Since then they have lost 8 of 9 and they currently appear to be one of the worst teams in any BCS conference. Just a stunning decline.

-Jason "that said, take nothing for granted. They will see Duke as a place to begin their turnaround" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?