Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This is the most confident that I feel about the upcoming season since 2011.

2014 I was skeptical about Quinn as a senior and having our success depend on 3 freshmen.

Last year I was skeptical about our PG spot and our how crowded our lineup is from the 2-4 spot.

Next year we have the most complete starting lineup since IMO 2002, in which everyone got to play their natural positions. 2015 Justice had to play the 4. 2010 Scheyer had to play the 1. Only one out of position is GTJ, but at 6'6 210 lbs he is big enough for the 3 even at the NBA level.

Very excite.

welp, now you've done it.

i await the announcement tomorrow that grayson is in a boot and bagley is on crutches and carter had knee surgery and is in a brace.
    April 1

I'd be much more confident if we had some more upperclassmen and our only one didn't have a history of immature behavior. However I agree about the makeup of the team positionally- especially a true point guard and legitimate post players.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    welp, now you've done it.

i await the announcement tomorrow that grayson is in a boot and bagley is on crutches and carter had knee surgery and is in a brace.
    Nonsense. 39-1. Lone loss to Wolf packs.

Only concerns I have this year are experience (especially on defense) and outside shooting other than Allen. The fast break should be lethal, but there will be some close games against zones.

I wish I shared your confidence, but I have reservations based on our inexperience and lack of guard depth. Without question, last season was the most confident I ever felt coming into the season. We had everything you could possibly ask for - experience, the leading returning scorer in the country and preseason NPOY, elite recruits, depth at every position, athleticism all over the court. The lack of a "pure" point guard didn't really bother me because I thought that Grayson and Matt could get the ball down the court and that Frank would eventually emerge as our primary ballhandler. And maybe I'm just blinded by ignorance, but even now I STILL think that had that team remained totally healthy for the entire season, including Giles not needing that scope in November, it could have been a real juggernaut.

This year I think a lot of people are overlooking our lack of experience. If we can stay healthy and establish a rotation early on, then by the end of the season we have a good chance of clicking. But there are going to be some bumps along the way, and a big thing to watch for will be how the team handles those bumps. Admittedly, a lot of my reservations are based on how last season turned out. Similarly, in 2015 I was very skeptical because we had been bounced in the first round in embarrassing fashion in 2 of the previous 3 seasons (2012 with Rivers and 2014 with Parker/Hood) and I questioned whether the one and done model would ever work for us. So maybe this will be another bounce back year and the basketball gods will look favorably upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I wish I shared your confidence, but I have reservations based on our inexperience and lack of guard depth. Without question, last season was the most confident I ever felt coming into the season. We had everything you could possibly ask for - experience, the leading returning scorer in the country and preseason NPOY, elite recruits, depth at every position, athleticism all over the court. The lack of a "pure" point guard didn't really bother me because I thought that Grayson and Matt could get the ball down the court and that Frank would eventually emerge as our primary ballhandler. And maybe I'm just blinded by ignorance, but even now I STILL think that had that team remained totally healthy for the entire season, including Giles not needing that scope in November, it could have been a real juggernaut.

This year I think a lot of people are overlooking our lack of experience. If we can stay healthy and ...
    Indeed, this is a remarkably young team and there are questions to be answered, including things like how well will the new kids shoot (vs. college D) and can they play good D themselves. There is clear reason for high hopes but I'd have no real confidence until a few tough games have been placed. Those early games against good competition will be interesting since Duke being so young will very probably improve more than almost any other top team.

Let's see...

Talent - yep.
    Experience - nope.
    Coaching - yep.
    Health - tbd.
    Luck - tbd.

I plan to enjoy pulling for this team. We should win a lot of games, but I will always take the field over any single team in the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

Very excite.
    Yes. Very Excite.

Hope for GREAT SUCCESS!

Yikes. I'm a little bit worried about Trevon's toe now :-)

Can this thread be closed?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Can this thread be closed?
    Sure, but then how will the OP increase his spork count?

He already got flak for his Bagley=Winslow thread.

My biggest concern is the health of Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Yes. Very Excite.

Hope for GREAT SUCCESS!
    So much wow!

I'm optimistic at the start of every season. Would anyone have predicted Kennard would be all-american and go pro this time last year?

I'm also optimistic at the start of every tournament. So I like this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    So much wow!

I'm optimistic at the start of every season. Would anyone have predicted Kennard would be all-american and go pro this time last year?

I'm also optimistic at the start of every tournament. So I like this thread.
    So I guess not everybody recognizes my "Borat" reference?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Yes. Very Excite.

Hope for GREAT SUCCESS!
    Wawaweewa! High Five!!

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Wawaweewa! High Five!!
    We could be king of the castle

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We could be king of the castle
    You're the dirty rascal ...

(Sorry; screen-name got the best of me.)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Wawaweewa! High Five!!
    I like you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

This year I think a lot of people are overlooking our lack of experience. If we can stay healthy and establish a rotation early on, then by the end of the season we have a good chance of clicking. But there are going to be some bumps along the way, and a big thing to watch for will be how the team handles those bumps. Admittedly, a lot of my reservations are based on how last season turned out. Similarly, in 2015 I was very skeptical because we had been bounced in the first round in embarrassing fashion in 2 of the previous 3 seasons (2012 with Rivers and 2014 with Parker/Hood) and I questioned whether the one and done model would ever work for us. So maybe this will be another bounce back year and the basketball gods will look favorably upon us.
    I agree that I was more optimistic before last year. That team had everything; once in a generation incoming freshman talent; another top flight freshman, a solid guard and the top centre in a stacked freshman class; the top,returning player in college basketball; a senior leader who excelled defensively and a graduate student who excelled defensively and was on the verge of averaging a double double before injury; great depth.
    I like this year's team and am optimistic about a great season, but I am not as optimistic as I was before last year or 2011 because there is not as much upperclass leadership returning. I also might be underestimating Bagley. My expectations for him may not be as high as my expectations were for Harry. I am excited to see this team play, improve and learn how to deal with adversity and learn to win.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”