Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Major Change Proposed In NCAA Transfer Rules

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    calipari will be all over that rule change. They better have clear-cut rules about tampering with players at other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    calipari will be all over that rule change. They better have clear-cut rules about tampering with players at other schools.
    A new kind of one and done

The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA
    I can see this GPA being a bit higher than the one required to be eligible to play and that athletes at a certain university will magically always have a GPA between the two numbers.

I think the coaches who REALLY don't want this to happen are guys at bottom of the major conferences, as well as the mid-major schools. Imagine - you already have to recruit against the big boys and hope when you're lucky enough to sign a decent prospect that he doesn't blow up during his senior year of high school and decommit. Then once he's actually at your school, now you have to worry about every opponent coming in and talking your player into coming and playing for them instead.

As much a K and Cal might worry about losing players who aren't getting enough playing time, the flip side is they could go around hand-picking the best players across the country who have exceeded expectations and then "recruit" them to come play for a top program and have a better shot at the NBA.

Here's my instant analysis. Players outside the five-star range will pick a school where they are sure to get playing time -- and then move after one year. Could have some benefits to schools in the bottom half of Division I.

Kindly,
    Sge Grouse
    'Nah! I'm just blathering. Oh well, there is a fine line between "insight" and "nonsense'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm all for this. But I would also add that a player isn't allowed to play immediately if they have played over a predetermined mpg threshold. Like 20, for example. Also, no mid season transfers.

And if the head coach leaves, players should be able to go and play immediately wherever they want.

a*inine.

Excellent. Let the players go where they feel maximizes their own benefit, just like coaches do.

Of course, for those who don't like this, there's a simple solution. Treat the players like employees and pay them, then you can sign them to a contract. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Excellent. Let the players go where they feel maximizes their own benefit, just like coaches do.

Of course, for those who don't like this, there's a simple solution. Treat the players like employees and pay them, then you can sign them to a contract. Problem solved.
    For those that don't like this, I will point out that there are a variety of other solutions and not just this "simple solution" outlined above.

Sorry Duke95 to be a bit direct, but I just don't like posts that are designed to create a polarizing atmosphere, especially amongst our own compadres around here. The situation has plenty of shades and spectrum in terms of how to make this work. It's not binary.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post

Counter point - one more nail in the coffin of the "student athlete," and another step towards "minor league sports."

Probably still makes more sense than the farcical "grad transfer rule" or the strange rules that are seemingly randomly upheld about what makes someone immediately eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    For those that don't like this, I will point out that there are a variety of other solutions and not just this "simple solution" outlined above.

Sorry Duke95 to be a bit direct, but I just don't like posts that are designed to create a polarizing atmosphere, especially amongst our own compadres around here. The situation has plenty of shades and spectrum in terms of how to make this work. It's not binary.

- Chillin
    But Chillin, hasn't the whole world become binary? Seems so to an old guy like me. Discussion is dead. Either love or hate - no middle ground of just mild disagreement or mild dislike. Love or hate. Agree with me or be a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ... hasn't the whole world become binary? ...
    no.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    no.

Blah blah. Spread love...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    But Chillin, hasn't the whole world become binary? Seems so to an old guy like me. Discussion is dead. Either love or hate - no middle ground of just mild disagreement or mild dislike. Love or hate. Agree with me or be a hater.
    Exactly. #like

I refuse to surround myself with people that openly want to create (or don't even realize that they are creating) binary, polarizing debates as opposed to honest, interested, reasoned discussions. In real life and in virtual life. Not sure which of the two DBR is, but I certainly surround myself with you people. So I'd like to think that my refusal is intact when I sign on here (and it, by and large, seems to be).

[Apologies again to Duke95 whose post is getting dragged into this sidebar.]

- Chillin

Is the proposal a means to soften the blow on current *NC athletes when the hammer comes down?

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Is the proposal a means to soften the blow on current *NC athletes when the hammer comes down?
    If a school is banned from post-season, don't athletes get waivers to transfer and play immediately?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If a school is banned from post-season, don't athletes get waivers to transfer and play immediately?
    That, Sir I can't answer. But if they can, it's a pretty cushy benefit for a student/athlete...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Only if the postseason ban covers the remaining length of their eligibility. So if it's a one-year ban then juniors are allowed to transfer without penalty, but freshmen and sophomores cannot. If it's a two-year ban then sophomores and juniors can transfer without penalty, etc.

I remember when the Penn State sanctions were handed down, it included a four year postseason ban which was significant because it meant that everyone could transfer immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Huckleberry's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comment involving UNC cheating reaches 1.