Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 41, Northwestern 17

Not sure who traditionally starts the next week's game thread, so will not presume to do so. But I offer this recap of the Northwestern - Nevada game. NW dominated time and yardage, but had two turnovers and went down early in the fourth quarter at home before winning and pulling away:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400935236
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-04-2017 at 02:42 PM.

NW beat us in the recent past because they make fewer mistakes and have a number of big plays. Hopefully we can pull it together this year. Opportunity knocks, as Baylor lost to Liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not sure who traditionally starts the next week's game thread, so will not presume to do so. But I offer this recap of the Northwestern - Nevada game. NW dominated time and yardage, but had two turnovers and went down early in the fourth quarter at home before winning and pulling away:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400935236
    I don't put too much weight on that. Last season NW struggled in their opening game and then beat Duke. We will have to show up and play a hard, physical game to win.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

FB: Duke vs. Northwestern (Sat 12/9, 1200 ET, ESPNU)

Northwestern comes to town next weekend - sure to be a significant upgrade in competition over Central.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I don't put too much weight on that. Last season NW struggled in their opening game and then beat Duke.
    Actually, Northwestern was 0-2 when we played them last year -- losing to Western Michigan (22-21) and Illinois State (9-7) before beating us (24-13).

Frustrating game -- we had more first downs and were almost even in total yards. Northwestern's three TDs all came on long pass plays -- 26, 44 and 58 yards. It was 7-7 at the half and Duke was driving early in the third quarter when Jones lost a fumble. We also had a turnover when Austin Parker dropped the snap on a punt.'

Northwestern has a three-game winning streak in the series and all three were heartbreakers. Duke lost at home 24-20 in Cut's first year -- Duke had the winning TD called back in the final minutes due to a penalty. Duke had a big edge in total offense in 2015, but lost 19-10 when with Duke going in for a touchdown, a Sirk pass was intercepted by a linebacker and returned 90-plis yards for a TD.

Overall, Northwestern has a 10-8 edge in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Northwestern comes to town next weekend - sure to be a significant upgrade in competition over Central.
    Early line had NW as 1.5 pt fav. Has moved to NW as 3 pt favorite

Though the path of Irma is TBD, it's unlikely it will make it to NC before late Sunday IF it meanders towards the U.S....75 degree forecast at this time which is nothing but good news for those trekking to WW.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ths-into-2017/

This link has likely been posted before.
    Beating Northwestern, (and Baylor), and starting 2-0 (3-0) on the season, is pretty critical to go bowling. Not sure after last week there are any easy wins on the schedule.

I'm confident Duke will build on last week and take it to Northwestern.

Let's Go Duke!

12/9?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    12/9?
    Getting a little ahead of our skis there it seems.

Hey sage,

Meet up with you and Mrs. sage at the same restaurant about 2 blocks from Ryan Field again this year?

(Oops, wait a minute, we play at WW this weekend. Sorry. But, you and the much lovelier partner are still most welcome to join us in Devil's Alley.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Getting a little ahead of our skis there it seems.
    Well, I've kind of gotten used to the Eastern Time Zone bias of this forum (like everything happens in ones personal 1/24 of the planet), but moving September to December seems a little aggressive.

Hey Guys! The world doesn't operate on the Eastern Time Zone. And even if you have that bias, your insularity doesn't give you liberty to alter the months.

This game is played on 9/9/17 at 9 a.m. in my house. Well, not literally in my house...

Not 12/9 anywhere, at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Not 12/9 anywhere, at any time.
    Well, yes ... in India, at least, which I know well because my whole development team is located there, and there are numerous times I have had to iron out confusion when date shorthand is used.

Actually "day/month/year" intuitively makes much more sense to me than "month/day/year" ... there is little about that latter "sequence" that is really sequential (you iterate the second token, then the first, and then the third?). But the one I prefer to use at work, which causes no confusion at all regardless of who I use it with, is "year/month/day".

NU, NU, NU ... let's all focus on NU this week.

It's Northwestern week. So all Duke FB fans should be focusing on nothing but NU this week.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post...-nu-nu-dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Northwestern's three TDs all came on long pass plays -- 26, 44 and 58 yards.
    The defense must pressure Thorson so he doesn't have time to stand in the pocket while his receivers work free. The DL looked solid against NCCU, but that was NCCU, can they look solid against P5 competition? We will find out on Saturday. I'm optimistic. DE Victor Dimukeje looked very quick and strong.
    Bob Green

Ten true freshmen played in the season opener. It will be interesting to see how many see action against Northwestern:

DE Victor Dimukeje, DE Drew Jordan, DT Axel Nyembwe, DT Derrick Tangelo, S Marquis Waters, S Michael Carter, OG Rakavius Chambers, RB Deon Jackson, TE Noah Gray, K Jack Driggers
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Well, yes ... in India, at least, which I know well because my whole development team is located there, and there are numerous times I have had to iron out confusion when date shorthand is used.

Actually "day/month/year" intuitively makes much more sense to me than "month/day/year" ... there is little about that latter "sequence" that is really sequential (you iterate the second token, then the first, and then the third?). But the one I prefer to use at work, which causes no confusion at all regardless of who I use it with, is "year/month/day".
    I usually write out the date as a matter of habit -- 4 Sep 2017 or Sept. 4, 2017 ,so there's no confusion -- and for awhile there I was spending time on a lot of European stuff.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The defense must pressure Thorson so he doesn't have time to stand in the pocket while his receivers work free. The DL looked solid against NCCU, but that was NCCU, can they look solid against P5 competition? We will find out on Saturday. I'm optimistic. DE Victor Dimukeje looked very quick and strong.
    And I think another key is to get pressure on him without blitzing all the time, because NW has killed us with long pass plays when we do so...I think/hope our DL is better than it has been, guys like Dimukeje make us a much better team.

Crazy as it may sound

I think "not look ahead" may be one of the biggest points of emphasis this coaching staff needs to drive home to this young team. They're aware NW struggled, Baylor lost, UNC struggled, and Pitt looked really bad. FSU isnt the same team it was Saturday afternoon and Miami certainly didn't look like world beaters. But its just week one and there are always massive pendulum swings every college football season, week in and week out.

The energy level and focus of this team should be through the roof. There is a great season right there for the taking if they can just get better every week.

Adam Rowe‏ @AdamRoweTDD 41m41 minutes ago
    More
    Adam Rowe Retweeted Dennis Dodd
    #Duke's Week 2 opponent, Northwestern, comes in at #23
    Adam Rowe added,
    Dennis DoddVerified account @dennisdoddcbs
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ame-impresses/
    0 replies 1 retweet 2 likes
    Reply Retweet 1 Like 2 Direct message
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide