Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Total Eclipse of the Sun - August 21st

Anybody here an expert on these things?

I am headed back east for the big event and will hopefully be viewing it at a friend's place in Anderson SC about 1 mile from the centerline.
    I will be getting in place the night before to make sure I don't get stuck on a freeway somewhere.

Anybody gonna be at Lake Marion? Might be quite the scene if half a million people follow their Iphones there.

The Eclipse

Heading to my wife's hometown of Nashville on Sunday. Hoping for a cloud free day...

In Greenville, SC Furman University is holding a viewing event in the football stadium. The chair of the Physics department will be doing commentary. They're a bit nervous because they don't know how many visitors to expect.

A link.

I will be heading to a friend's house about 20 miles northeast of my house and office. Not quite centerline but it will have totality with the added benefit of indoor plumbing and no large crowd. My sister and I will be providing good and beverages for the viewing party.

Everyone near Asheville is going bananas. I recommend anyone trying to get to a totality zone leave hours or days early, lest you have the honor of watching your spiritual experience on the side of the interstate with hundreds of strangers.

there are reports all over about how difficult it's going to be trying to get into SC the day OF....more than a million tourists will be clogging the highways.

we were going to try and go to my hometown of columbia, but we missed getting glasses, it's a 50% chance of thunderstorms, and the threat of gridlock are just a bit overwhelming....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'm fully booked for clinic that afternoon. Which means the doctor may have a "hospital emergency" which calls me away from the office for 15 minutes or so in mid-afternoon. Shhh...don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Anybody here an expert on these things?

I am headed back east for the big event and will hopefully be viewing it at a friend's place in Anderson SC about 1 mile from the centerline.
    I will be getting in place the night before to make sure I don't get stuck on a freeway somewhere.

Anybody gonna be at Lake Marion? Might be quite the scene if half a million people follow their Iphones there.

I want to be with Carly Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everyone near Asheville is going bananas. I recommend anyone trying to get to a totality zone leave hours or days early, lest you have the honor of watching your spiritual experience on the side of the interstate with hundreds of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm fully booked for clinic that afternoon. Which means the doctor may have a "hospital emergency" which calls me away from the office for 15 minutes or so in mid-afternoon. Shhh...don't tell anyone.
    LOL. I have the same problem and have the sense there'll be a sudden call for the outdoors about the same time.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

our local outstanding young meteorologist told us on TV last night that we could enjoy watching the eclipse (with proper eyewear, of course) for two hours and 37 minutes.
    Now I know why he landed at the Plattsburgh station...

My wife and I will, hopefully, be returning from Asheville a couple hours before the eclipse starts. After witnessing a rare public appearance by Martha Scanlan at the Grey Eagle Sunday evening, the solar eclipse pales in comparison. We'll play it by ear, but hitting the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway north and taking Highway 421 back to Greensboro may be perfect.

With the possibility of gridlock on I-40 and I-85, just the folks turning around could be a big issue. Not to be a Devil Downer or anything. Good luck to all, and happy viewing!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    My wife and I will, hopefully, be returning from Asheville a couple hours before the eclipse starts. After witnessing a rare public appearance by Martha Scanlan at the Grey Eagle Sunday evening, the solar eclipse pales in comparison. We'll play it by ear, but hitting the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway north and taking Highway 421 back to Greensboro may be perfect.

With the possibility of gridlock on I-40 and I-85, just the folks turning around could be a big issue. Not to be a Devil Downer or anything. Good luck to all, and happy viewing!
    Enjoy your time in our lovely town. Your plan sounds wise. I am sure the Grey Eagle is a more sure bet.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    our local outstanding young meteorologist told us on TV last night that we could enjoy watching the eclipse (with proper eyewear, of course) for two hours and 37 minutes.
    I'm guessing that he meant the total time from when the eclipse (partial to full then back to partial) first begins to when it ends - about 2.5 to 2.75 total hours in most locations in that 70-mile swath across the country. The full eclipse is supposed to last only a minute to 2.5 minutes (approximately).

We are taking a family trip to Greenville, SC to view it in totality. We planned months ago and are leaving home about 7:00a on Saturday in an attempt to avoid traffic. We'll be packing a lot of our own food as we don't plan on being able to go to a resteraunt without hours of waits. We don't plan to leave until Tuesday, and even then we are only travelling to Flat Rock, NC (about an hour away) to do some touristy stuff. If traffic reports are bad, we'll get a hotel room in the area and try to drive home on Wednesday.

Should be tons of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We are taking a family trip to Greenville, SC to view it in totality. We planned months ago and are leaving home about 7:00a on Saturday in an attempt to avoid traffic. We'll be packing a lot of our own food as we don't plan on being able to go to a resteraunt without hours of waits. We don't plan to leave until Tuesday, and even then we are only travelling to Flat Rock, NC (about an hour away) to do some touristy stuff. If traffic reports are bad, we'll get a hotel room in the area and try to drive home on Wednesday.

Should be tons of fun!
    That sounds like a good plan. I considered staying an extra night in Asheville (at an airbnb), but an unavoidable situation at work means I have to be there on Tuesday morn.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I want to be with Carly Simon.
    What's new?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    This is why I watch Mexican weather reports. I do not mind, at all, when she says things like this.

I'm going to be here in Raleigh for the Eclipse...but I'm going to Camp Rockmont (Black Mtn, near Asheville) tonight...I just hope that coming back Sunday night will help me avoid all the traffic.

Driving a long way to see it. Eclipses are interesting in that there's no real reason for them to exist as they do - it's a complete coincidence that the Sun and the Moon are almost exactly the same size in the sky.