Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    What happens if Bagley comes in, falls in love with Duke and wants to get the full college experience? He stays all four years, wins one title and is name player of the year, making him eligable to retire #35 with his name on it?
    He changes his number in year 2, realizing that he is on the path to owning a part of Cameron's rafters, not just renting.

What happens if Bagley comes in, falls in love with Duke and wants to get the full college experience? He stays all four years, wins one title and is name player of the year, making him eligable to retire #35 with his name on it?
    It wouldn't be the first time one number honored two players.

The New York Yankees have retired No. 8 for both Billy Dickey and Yogi Berra.

He could graduate in 3 years...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    He only wins one?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    Groat 10
    Gminski 43
    Heyman 25
    Mullins 44

I have been blessed to have seen them all play... except Groat. (I'm showing my age)
    Verga 11

At least it should be!

So, it sure seems like one of the reasons this was done was because Bagley is supposed to be soooo good. It is almost like, "he is worthy of us taking a retired jersey down." Ok, fine. Bagley is supposed to be a mega stud...

...but what if Gary Trent Jr wanted a retired number? He's also really good, though not really considered a generational talent like Bagley. Still, if the kid wanted it and we felt it would help in recruiting him, I'm betting Duke would be ok with it (provided Ferry or whoever was also ok with it). What if a lower-ranked recruit wanted a number? What if Vrank wanted #43? What if Goldwire wanted #11? And here's one for ya'll -- what if a talent like Bagley wanted #35, but Ferry had died? Would we ask Ferry's estate/heirs?

I get there are a lot of reasons to like this -- and I mostly do -- but it does sorta feel like we have opened a can of worms. I'm really hoping we don't make a regular practice of this kind of thing.

-Jason "Dev11 and I should have debated this a bit more on the most recent Podcast" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time one number honored two players.

The New York Yankees have retired No. 8 for both Billy Dickey and Yogi Berra.
    If Bob Verga's number is ever retired, we'll have two #11's.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This. If Ferry isn't offended, who are we to be offended?
    Sums it up for me..