Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    I wasn't aware of the "no digit greater than 5" rule. What is the reasoning?
    Little known fact: NBA refs have 9 fingers on each hand, which allows them to cover all numbers on NBA jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Little known fact: NBA refs have 9 fingers on each hand, which allows them to cover all numbers on NBA jerseys
    Also the fourth digit from the left or right is about two inches longer than the others in order to properly signal to coaches.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Can you please explain this? Last time I checked, there are 23 available numbers for Duke players to wear. Is the roster bigger than 23 players? I think this is kind of an excuse to make folks feel better that Bagley is using a retired number.

I have no problem if the coaching staff is open to using retired numbers for players, but I assume this is very circumstantial and will only apply to the top of the top of the top (ie the best recruit in years).
    I think it just feels like it's getting old recycling the exact same numbers every year. The retired jersey thing doesn't mean as much when you have 13 retired jerseys, which is the first-world problem of being Duke Basketball. I would bet that even among the regular participants on the board, fewer than 50% can name all the retired jersey numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Why not just leave the # there? Duke could just change their policy to "jersey" retirements rather than "number" retirements. They use the terms interchangeably today, and in practice they mean the same thing. Although now they are no different from "honored" jerseys at UNC. I prefer the current system, and I personally don't mind Ferry's decision. If a kid really wants a #, they have to approach the legend and ask and the legend can decline. I believe Duke gave Danny exclusive rights to #35, and it's his to use at his discretion.

I remember the Bulls having some issues when Jordan returned and had to "un-retire" 23 for him to use (IIRC, he used #45 for a while). Interesting that the NBA has formal rules for retired numbers that apply to all clubs, while the NCAA leaves it up to the schools to set their own rules.
    This is exactly how I see it. When they school retires your number, it's yours to do with it as you want. You own it. And if you never want to let anyone wear it ever again, then that's your decision. But if once in a blue moon, a player asks you if he can wear it, and you allow it, then what's the big deal? I feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion. Ferry allowing a star to wear his number for one year doesn't automatically do away with retired numbers at Duke. People seem to be acting like the other 12 numbers up there are now up for grabs. If anything, I think this really proves our brotherhood - that old players and new players are still one big family. And Ferry is letting a brother of his borrow his number. No harm, no foul. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    This is exactly how I see it. When they school retires your number, it's yours to do with it as you want. You own it. And if you never want to let anyone wear it ever again, then that's your decision. But if once in a blue moon, a player asks you if he can wear it, and you allow it, then what's the big deal? I feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion. Ferry allowing a star to wear his number for one year doesn't automatically do away with retired numbers at Duke. People seem to be acting like the other 12 numbers up there are now up for grabs. If anything, I think this really proves our brotherhood - that old players and new players are still one big family. And Ferry is letting a brother of his borrow his number. No harm, no foul. Just my $0.02.
    This. If Ferry isn't offended, who are we to be offended?
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This. If Ferry isn't offended, who are we to be offended?
    Bingo. But I guess the sensitivity meters need exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    In what sense do you "own" a particularly numbered basketball jersey? Certainly not in a legal sense. This is not a piece of real property that the university has deeded over to you. I view these "retired" numbered jerseys as simply the athletic department saying that they don't intend to let other players in the future wear that number, and nothing more. I don't believe there is any restriction, legal or otherwise, if the school wants to let some other player wear that number (other than maybe the school going back on its promise not to allow someone else to have that number).

I'm glad that Danny Ferry has agreed to let MB to wear "his" number but I think this much a do about nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think the 23 is correct. 6x6=36
    00, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
    20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
    30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35,
    40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
    50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

36-13=23
    Heh. Proves the reason I don't balance the family checkbook any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Isn't that the reason they invented QuickBooks?

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Not to mention it hammers home the "Brotherhood" and "Duke Family" branding, of which many of us take pride. I personally think it's awesome that he thanked Danny on national television for allowing him the privilege of renting his number.
    Bo Ryan would have a field day with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Quickly, best players wearing 50 - 55? Artis Gilmore?

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    The Admiral

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Not the best, but one of my favorites. (And a Champion.) Zoooooooobs!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And come next spring, we'll be talking about #3 being retired!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

When I realized that Bagley was going to be wearing #35, my initial reaction was "this doesn't feel right." But then I read the article.
    There was nothing about Bagley demanding the number or even asking for it. It seemed that Capel had realized his high school number was 35 and had spoken with Ferry about it... checking with Ferry a second time before they made the offer to Bagley. Ferry made it clear... he made the offer.
    Ferry went on to say, "I think it’s terrific for Marvin to wear 35 if he desires, and we’ll warmly welcome him to the Duke family. I hope he has an incredible experience at Duke."
    So, I'm with Ferry... I think it's "terrific"... I'll "warmly welcome him to the Duke family" ... and I hope "he has an incredible experience at Duke."

I've got two fingers for Lenny Wirtz.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I've got two fingers for Lenny Wirtz.
    He'd see three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I would bet that even among the regular participants on the board, fewer than 50% can name all the retired jersey numbers.
    Huh. It turns out I cannot name all of them without help. But I can name the ones I watched:

Dawkins
    Ferry
    Laettner
    Hurley
    Hill
    Battier
    Williams
    Williams
    Redick

Wow. What a run.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Huh. It turns out I cannot name all of them without help. But I can name the ones I watched:

Dawkins
    Ferry
    Laettner
    Hurley
    Hill
    Battier
    Williams
    Williams
    Redick

Wow. What a run.

Groat 10
    Gminski 43
    Heyman 25
    Mullins 44

I have been blessed to have seen them all play... except Groat. (I'm showing my age)

Hypothetical Question

What happens if Bagley comes in, falls in love with Duke and wants to get the full college experience? He stays all four years, wins one title and is name player of the year, making him eligable to retire #35 with his name on it?