Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't think there is an issue with Marvin using the jersey number, I just think it's stupid to retire a number if you're going to bend. If the honor is in having your jersey up in the rafters, why not just put a jersey with a name and no number? Doesn't that make more sense?
    Because it looks weird. And yes, because the # being retired is part of it, too. I guess what I'm saying is: you have a jersey retirement ceremony, you see your jersey get raised to the rafters where it remains forever, you see that you are referenced as a retired jersey player in all the places one might find a reference to such a thing. I think you're sated at that point. The fact that the jersey number will now be used by Bagley is a little bit weird, I agree. But the honor remains.

Plus, the program had to ask Danny for permission. Assuming this won't be the last time a request like this is made, we can now think of number retirement as the honored player gaining ownership of that number at Duke to allocate as he sees fit. Presumably there will be times when the retired player denies the request. As others have mentioned, Marvin's lucky that he didn't have to ask Laettner.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Because it looks weird. And yes, because the # being retired is part of it, too. I guess what I'm saying is: you have a jersey retirement ceremony, you see your jersey get raised to the rafters where it remains forever, you see that you are referenced as a retired jersey player in all the places one might find a reference to such a thing. I think you're sated at that point. The fact that the jersey number will now be used by Bagley is a little bit weird, I agree. But the honor remains.

Plus, the program had to ask Danny for permission. Assuming this won't be the last time a request like this is made, we can now think of number retirement as the honored player gaining ownership of that number at Duke to allocate as he sees fit. Presumably there will be times when the retired player denies the request. As others have mentioned, Marvin's lucky that he didn't have to ask Laettner.
    What happens if the retired jersey is owned by a deceased player(Art Heyman)? I guess the coaches could ask the next of kin but I think that jersey should be permanently be retired. Just my take. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    What happens if the retired jersey is owned by a deceased player(Art Heyman)? I guess the coaches could ask the next of kin but I think that jersey should be permanently be retired. Just my take. GoDuke!
    Not if a generational talent comes along and wants that number.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well, the real honor is to have your name on a jersey hanging in Cameron's rafters, right? And to be known as a player whose number was retired in media guides, programs, wikipedia, etc. It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley, and I don't think references to Ferry's #35 being retired at Duke will be deleted from wiki. Does this move somewhat diminish the jersey retirement? Perhaps, but I also think 95% of the honor remains, AND since Danny was contacted and approved of the move, I don't see an issue here.
    Think of the fans that will want to wear Bagley's jersey. Not that Duke would license it, but there are ways to make it happen. So you are out on the street, or even worse, in Cameron, and see Bagley's name on a jersey above the 35. That ain't right.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The no numbers higher than five convention is artificial and unnecessary. Lax refs solved this a long time ago.

Two fingers held up = penalty on number two. Two fingers held horizontally = penalty on number seven.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The no numbers higher than five convention is artificial and unnecessary. Lax refs solved this a long time ago.

Two fingers held up = penalty on number two. Two fingers held horizontally = penalty on number seven.
    Not for nothing, isn't this also not an issue in the NBA where players have jerseys with numbers higher than five? For instance, JJ's new number is 17.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Think of the fans that will want to wear Bagley's jersey. Not that Duke would license it, but there are ways to make it happen. So you are out on the street, or even worse, in Cameron, and see Bagley's name on a jersey above the 35. That ain't right.
    We won't see Bagley's name on a jersey with #35 except on Bagley himself (unless folks make their own).

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We won't see Bagley's name on a jersey with #35 except on Bagley himself (unless folks make their own).

-jk
    That's what I said. "There are ways around this." Either self made, or by unscrupulous dealers. Both will happen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not if a generational talent comes along and wants that number.
    I truly believe Marvin Bagley is the greatest talent to enter college basketball since Harry Giles. Fortunately, Bagley is healthy.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I assume Bagley was the one to ask about #35. But what if Capel decided to use the #35 as a recruiting tool? Is it possible that every player whose number has been retired has been asked their feelings on the loan of their jersey number 'just in case' it comes up?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

What will it take to retire more jerseys?

In the current state of college basketball, what are the odds more Duke jerseys will be retired? Most extremely talented players are not around very long. Even if a generational, transcendental talent comes for 9 months and leaves for the NBA after that year, would Duke possibly retire the jersey? What would it take? Wooden/POY and National Championship? And Final Four MOP?

I thought that, years ago, there were some baseline requirements for consideration. And we can assume graduation is far far gone as one of those...

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley
    Resolved: Bagley can wear #35, but he has to wear the actual jersey banner that is currently hanging in the rafters that says "Ferry" on it. At the end of the season, he can wash it and return it.

Seriously, this is just a weird consequence of there being a limited number of legal numbers to wear and Duke being successful enough to have already retired a good chunk of them. If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Resolved: Bagley can wear #35, but he has to wear the actual jersey banner that is currently hanging in the rafters that says "Ferry" on it. At the end of the season, he can wash it and return it.

Seriously, this is just a weird consequence of there being a limited number of legal numbers to wear and Duke being successful enough to have already retired a good chunk of them. If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.
    Well stated, I agree.

Obviously the underlying problem is the limited number of digits on the hands of NCAA referees. I don't see why jerseys should be "unretired" just because of some physiological insufficiency at the NCAA level. Come on, refs, grow a pair.

In the meantime, we've now done away with the concept of a "retired jersey" at Duke. They are, from now on, "honored jerseys". Whatever. Beat the crap out of the CHeats 2-3 times per year and I'm good with all this nonsense.

Can you please explain this? Last time I checked, there are 23 available numbers for Duke players to wear. Is the roster bigger than 23 players? I think this is kind of an excuse to make folks feel better that Bagley is using a retired number.

I have no problem if the coaching staff is open to using retired numbers for players, but I assume this is very circumstantial and will only apply to the top of the top of the top (ie the best recruit in years).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.
    Not to mention it hammers home the "Brotherhood" and "Duke Family" branding, of which many of us take pride. I personally think it's awesome that he thanked Danny on national television for allowing him the privilege of renting his number.

I don't think there is an issue with Marvin using the jersey number, I just think it's stupid to retire a number if you're going to bend. If the honor is in having your jersey up in the rafters, why not just put a jersey with a name and no number? Doesn't that make more sense?
    Why not just leave the # there? Duke could just change their policy to "jersey" retirements rather than "number" retirements. They use the terms interchangeably today, and in practice they mean the same thing. Although now they are no different from "honored" jerseys at UNC. I prefer the current system, and I personally don't mind Ferry's decision. If a kid really wants a #, they have to approach the legend and ask and the legend can decline. I believe Duke gave Danny exclusive rights to #35, and it's his to use at his discretion.

I remember the Bulls having some issues when Jordan returned and had to "un-retire" 23 for him to use (IIRC, he used #45 for a while). Interesting that the NBA has formal rules for retired numbers that apply to all clubs, while the NCAA leaves it up to the schools to set their own rules.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Why not just leave the # there? Duke could just change their policy to "jersey" retirements rather than "number" retirements. They use the terms interchangeably today, and in practice they mean the same thing. Although now they are no different from "honored" jerseys at UNC. I prefer the current system, and I personally don't mind Ferry's decision. If a kid really wants a #, they have to approach the legend and ask and the legend can decline. I believe Duke gave Danny exclusive rights to #35, and it's his to use at his discretion.

I remember the Bulls having some issues when Jordan returned and had to "un-retire" 23 for him to use (IIRC, he used #45 for a while). Interesting that the NBA has formal rules for retired numbers that apply to all clubs, while the NCAA leaves it up to the schools to set their own rules.
    Some names are as common as numbers. Retiring a name without a number has its own issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I truly believe Marvin Bagley is the greatest talent to enter college basketball since Harry Giles. Fortunately, Bagley is healthy.
    Blah blah, spread comments... I like your style.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Some names are as common as numbers. Retiring a name without a number has its own issues.
    Sorry - I meant leave the name AND the number.
    "There can BE only one."