Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bumping since it's game night. Both ATL and NO won this weekend, and those are the two we need to keep pace with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Bumping since it's game night. Both ATL and NO won this weekend, and those are the two we need to keep pace with.
    Yeah but a Dallas loss also helps for the wild card race.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    B A H L O W O U T

That was awesome. (And I'm writing this with confidence in the 4th quarter.)

Cam is getting healthy and confident, and his receivers are warming up. Can't say enough about McC...wow.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not much to complain about last night, that was way fun. I thought Cam might make it all the way on that one long run of his.

Not much to complain about last night, that was way fun. I thought Cam might make it all the way on that one long run of his.
    Wow! I'm not sure if we played that well or if the Dolphins stink that bad. Probably somewhere in the middle. It was nice to see the offense click on the ground and in the air in the same game for once. McCaffrey is sure fun to watch and does so many different things well. I'm glad he's on our side. Cam is running a lot but not taking hits. I think that is a very good thing. When teams have to respect him it's like playing with an extra man on offense.

We are getting better and healthier and now have a week off with Olsen coming back after the break. I like where we stand and I think the Saints will come back to Earth (hopefully) so the division is still very much in play.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

It is up to Duke bball to make this a perfect sports weekend. (And MSU can help make it even more perfect.)

That was one ugly W but a win is a win. Must play better next week or it will be an ugly L.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    That was one ugly W but a win is a win. Must play better next week or it will be an ugly L.
    Hopefully we were looking ahead. Next week is yuuuuuge.

Right now I think the Panthers are a slightly above average team that has won a bunch of 50/50 games. The next two weeks against the Vikings and the Saints will go a long way towards determining whether they are a true contender in the NFC or a one-and-done. It's still possible that they finish third in the NFC South as they have to play @Atlanta and @New Orleans. However, those are the only remaining away games.

I think they split their final two with Atlanta and New Orleans, and beat the Packers and Bucs. That leaves the Minnesota game. If they win that, I think they win the division. Lose, and I think they are the wild card.

Lose more than 2 and I think they watch the playoffs from the couch.

The NFC South could send 3 teams to the playoffs, which could mean that some combination of the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers play three times this year, potentially twice in one week.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Right now I think the Panthers are a slightly above average team that has won a bunch of 50/50 games. The next two weeks against the Vikings and the Saints will go a long way towards determining whether they are a true contender in the NFC or a one-and-done. It's still possible that they finish third in the NFC South as they have to play @Atlanta and @New Orleans. However, those are the only remaining away games.

I think they split their final two with Atlanta and New Orleans, and beat the Packers and Bucs. That leaves the Minnesota game. If they win that, I think they win the division. Lose, and I think they are the wild card.

Lose more than 2 and I think they watch the playoffs from the couch.

The NFC South could send 3 teams to the playoffs, which could mean that some combination of the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers play three times this year, potentially twice in one week.
    Good analysis. Here's the way I look at it...if they can hold serve at home against the Packers and Bucs then they only have to win 1 game out of 3 against the Saints, Vikings and Falcons to get to 11-5. If that happens there's no way they miss the playoffs. Even if they only make it to 10-6 there is still a good chance to get in and if you cannot win 2 out of 5 you don't deserve to get in anyway.

I do agree with you that they might not be as good as their 8-3 record but with the number 2 ranked defense they should always be in the game unless the offense is just plain horrible. I still think we have a higher ceiling than most of the other teams in contention. Our offense still hasn't had all of their weapons on the field healthy at one time and they have the chance to improve before the playoffs begin. I would love for them to put it all together at the right time and make another deep run. I think it's possible. Keep pounding!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Tough game. Saints just have our number this year. The good news is the Falcons lost as well and if the Eagles can beat the Seahawks tonight the Panthers are still the 5 seed.

eagles lose....

we're wild card presently, however, the team i saw lose to the Saints yesterday isn't going very far....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Today was fun. I was chatting with a friend as were up by two scores, and said "I don't feel safe unless we score again". And then it was quickly proven why.
    That last scoring drive was a thing of beauty, but I was worried with Cam's run that we gave them too much time. Nice job, Defense!

Today was fun. I was chatting with a friend as were up by two scores, and said "I don't feel safe unless we score again". And then it was quickly proven why.
    That last scoring drive was a thing of beauty, but I was worried with Cam's run that we gave them too much time. Nice job, Defense!
    I agree, very entertaining game and a big-time win for the Panthers. Minnesota is for real and aside from getting a little soft too quick at the end we played a really good game.

This goes a long way towards getting into at least the wildcard although the division title is still a little bit of a long shot since the Saints own the tie breaker.

Keep pounding!

i was REALLY worried that the ball was going to be stripped at the end of that long cam run....he was hoofing it...held onto it tho....

good win for the cats...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Not worried about losing Cam to soccer, the NBA, or maybe WWE, where flopping as an art form is more appreciated?

good game, cam.cam.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    good game, cam.cam.jpg
    That is great!

Big win today that all but assures a playoff spot. Saints won too so it's still the wildcard for now but they play Atlanta next week so fingers crossed we win and they lose which would give us first place in the division.

So if I read the tea leaves correctly, here are the possible results for the Panthers:

Finish 1-1 with an 11-5 record and a guaranteed playoff spot as a wild card (unless NO somehow loses to Tampa, division is out at 11-5).
    Finish 0-2 with a 10-6 record and fight the Lions, Seahawks, Cowboys, and (possibly) Falcons for the last wild card spot
    Finish 2-0 with a 12-6 record and guaranteed a playoff spot, either as a wild card or division winner.

To win the division, the Panthers must have a BETTER record than the Saints over the last two games. Both New Orleans and Carolina play Tampa and Atlanta in the last two weeks, with the Saints having the (slightly) easier draw of the Falcons at home. Saints win if they tie the Panthers record wise by virtue of the 2 game sweep of the regular season. So Panthers would have to win out and hope Atlanta can take the Saints down next week.

HOWEVER, Atlanta is still in the mix as well, assuming they beat the Bucs tonight on MNF to hold onto their 6 seed. If the birds were to win out and all three teams end the season at 11-5, I believe all 3 definitely make the playoffs and Atlanta would win the division and a guaranteed home game with a 5-1 league record.

So I'm going to assume all 3 teams beat Tampa (which is by no means a guarantee) and look at the scenarios from there:
    - Atlanta beats Panthers and Saints - Win division at 11-5
    - Atlanta beats Saints only - Panthers win division at 12-4
    - Atlanta beats Panthers only - Saints win division at 12-4
    - Atlanta loses to Panthers and Saints - Saints win division at 12-4

It's very likely that whoever wins the NFC South will face a division rival in the wild card round of the playoffs, facing off for a third time this season.
    "There can BE only one."