Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waterflossing anyone?

About as off-topic as you can get, and a thread I wouldn't post here during the basketball season, but I'm just curious about this. The last time I went to my regular dental check-up the hygienist noted some gum "pockets" getting slightly deeper. I am a dedicated flosser and have been string flossing every night for years. She suggested that I look into using a water flosser.

Before I actually bought one, I searched for dental/medical literature about them. I found a number of studies comparing plaque build-up over time with patients using a water flosser versus string floss; patients were randomized to the arms and everything else about their dental hygiene was identical (same toothbrushes, same toothpaste, same amount of time brushing, etc). In all cases the water flosser won out over string flossing (although it was a bit suspicious that there were at least 3 or 4 papers claiming the same results that were all authored by the same group of investigators).

Anyway, long story short I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought a cordless waterflosser and I have been using it for a couple of weeks now. It's interesting. Seems to remove a lot of stuff. It's much easier to do the top teeth than the bottom ones. The inside of the bottom teeth is particularly difficult, but I'm getting better at it.

Just curious as to whether anybody else has ever tried waterflossing or is currently waterflossing, and, if so, what your thoughts were about it. (I worry that if it might not work as well because I don't really know how to use perfect technique; for that reason I have added a quick string floss to my morning routine. This way I figure there's no way it could make my dental hygiene WORSE, because I always just string flossed once a day and I'm continuing to do so. I'm just adding in an extra floss technique. I guess only the next dental check-up will definitively prove whether it is better or not.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Paging ricks, paging Dr. ricks...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    About as off-topic as you can get, and a thread I wouldn't post here during the basketball season, but I'm just curious about this. The last time I went to my regular dental check-up the hygienist noted some gum "pockets" getting slightly deeper. I am a dedicated flosser and have been string flossing every night for years. She suggested that I look into using a water flosser.

Before I actually bought one, I searched for dental/medical literature about them. I found a number of studies comparing plaque build-up over time with patients using a water flosser versus string floss; patients were randomized to the arms and everything else about their dental hygiene was identical (same toothbrushes, same toothpaste, same amount of time brushing, etc). In all cases the water flosser won out over string flossing (although it was a bit suspicious that there were at least 3 or 4 papers claiming the same results that were all authored by the same group of investigators).

Anyway, long story short I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought a cordless waterflosser and I have been using it for a couple of weeks now. It's interesting. Seems to remove a lot of stuff. It's much easier to do the top teeth than the bottom ones. The inside of the bottom teeth is particularly difficult, but I'm getting better at it.

Just curious as to whether anybody else has ever tried waterflossing or is currently waterflossing, and, if so, what your thoughts were about it. (I worry that if it might not work as well because I don't really know how to use perfect technique; for that reason I have added a quick string floss to my morning routine. This way I figure there's no way it could make my dental hygiene WORSE, because I always just string flossed once a day and I'm continuing to do so. I'm just adding in an extra floss technique. I guess only the next dental check-up will definitively prove whether it is better or not.)
    I floss and waterfloss (waterpik). What I find revealing is that after I floss, I then waterfloss, and the amount of crap that comes out is most impressive. I'm dedicated to doing both because El Dentisto says I should (I also have some pockets).
    Seems to be working, it costs nothing but literally two minutes of time, so why not?
    Rounding out the comulsory routine, I brush with an electric toothbrush (great for the gums, the hygienist notices these things), then use GUMS, those clever Germanic devices that get more stuff out from between the teeth (as one ages, the gums recede, creating some new spaces*)...then I use a StiumUdent...may sound like a lot, but the whole routine only takes about five minutes, and my teeth and gums are happy,.

*hence the expression for geezers "long in the tooth." Never made sense before, now it does.

p.s. in our area anyway (now that i'm retired) paying for your own dental insurance is simply not a good deal....very limited benefit max each year...and with the cost of a dental crown being $1500 or so, spending five minutes a day flailing at the teeth and gums is, IMO, a very sound investment.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I floss and waterfloss (waterpik). What I find revealing is that after I floss, I then waterfloss, and the amount of crap that comes out is most impressive. I'm dedicated to doing both because El Dentisto says I should (I also have some pockets).
    Seems to be working, it costs nothing but literally two minutes of time, so why not?
    Rounding out the comulsory routine, I brush with an electric toothbrush (great for the gums, the hygienist notices these things), then use GUMS, those clever Germanic devices that get more stuff out from between the teeth (as one ages, the gums recede, creating some new spaces*)...then I use a StiumUdent...may sound like a lot, but the whole routine only takes about five minutes, and my teeth and gums are happy,.

*hence the expression for geezers "long in the tooth." Never made sense before, now it does.

p.s. in our area anyway (now that i'm retired) paying for your own dental insurance is simply not a good deal...very limited benefit max each year...and with the cost of a dental crown being $1500 or so, spending five minutes a day flailing at the teeth and gums is, IMO, a very sound investment.
    I just got an Oral B Professional 1000 (the cheapest of their newer electric toothbrushes). It was on sale at Amazon for $39.99 with free shipping. I had an older, cheaper version in the past. This new toothbrush really feels like it cleans a lot better than the old one, even though the mechanism seems similar. I think they added to-and-fro pulsation (hence "3D action") since the old version I had. I can really feel the difference when brushing. Also, it has a 30-second quadrant timer and the old one only had the 2-minute timer. The quadrant timer is nice because it makes sure that you spend the same amount of time in each part of your mouth.

Obviously I agree with you that time spent on dental hygiene is generally time well spent.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Paging ricks, paging Dr. ricks...
    Just finished up my 18 at the CCA and can now chime in. Either way is ok, even though I only use floss. Just make sure to not put it on a high level. While it may feel good to you and you may think it does a better job of cleaning, it can strip the gums away from the necks of the teeth over time.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Just finished up my 18 at the CCA and can now chime in. Either way is ok, even though I only use floss. Just make sure to not put it on a high level. While it may feel good to you and you may think it does a better job of cleaning, it can strip the gums away from the necks of the teeth over time.

ricks
    Well, we don't want red necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, we don't want red necks.
    Wouldn't they be white necks in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Wouldn't they be white necks in this case?
    Not with red, bloody gums!

p.s. in our area anyway (now that i'm retired) paying for your own dental insurance is simply not a good deal...very limited benefit max each year...and with the cost of a dental crown being $1500 or so, spending five minutes a day flailing at the teeth and gums is, IMO, a very sound investment.
    You are overdoing it and are at risk for stripping your gums away from your teeth. Really.

Dr. ricks

fwiw, according to my periodontist if I am already flossing water flossing has no additional benefit. He likened it to driving a car that is dirty on the outside and inside through a drive-thru carwash.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I'm feeling a bit queasy here.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

You are overdoing it and are at risk for stripping your gums away from your teeth. Really.

Dr. ricks
    not at all, Dr Ricks, I do not blast my gums with the pik, just use a gentle cycle...and the GUMS just slide peacefully between the teeth...my dentist is quite pleased with the results, happy gums...

not at all, Dr Ricks, I do not blast my gums with the pik, just use a gentle cycle...and the GUMS just slide peacefully between the teeth...my dentist is quite pleased with the results, happy gums...
    Nice work. Kudos for you. I once had a patient that was referred to me from a periodontist who was treating his wife. His mouth was a mess and he needed a complete rehab. He was very gruff, stubborn and intimidating. He stated that his wife spent 15 minutes a day cleaning her teeth and that he, in no uncertain terms, would be doing that.

I had a really tough assistant that was from Brooklyn or the Bronx. While taking his radiographs, she told him that if he didn't sit still and stop complaining, if the radiographs weren't the way I liked them, I would make her go back and keep retaking them until they were acceptable. That shut him up.

While his attitude didn't appear to change throughout his many months long treatment, I knew we had gotten through to him. One day, maybe a year or so after I had completed his treatment, I asked him how much time he spent on cleaning HIS teeth every day. His answer was: "About 30 minutes". He said that after spending that kind of money and time on his mouth, "you better believe it!"

ricks

Nice work. Kudos for you. I once had a patient that was referred to me from a periodontist who was treating his wife. His mouth was a mess and he needed a complete rehab. He was very gruff, stubborn and intimidating. He stated that his wife spent 15 minutes a day cleaning her teeth and that he, in no uncertain terms, would be doing that.

I had a really tough assistant that was from Brooklyn or the Bronx. While taking his radiographs, she told him that if he didn't sit still and stop complaining, if the radiographs weren't the way I liked them, I would make her go back and keep retaking them until they were acceptable. That shut him up.

While his attitude didn't appear to change throughout his many months long treatment, I knew we had gotten through to him. One day, maybe a year or so after I had completed his treatment, I asked him how much time he spent on cleaning HIS teeth every day. His answer was: "About 30 minutes". He said that after spending that kind of money and time on his mouth, "you better believe it!"

ricks
    I hear ya, i've seen some people who scrub their gums. I do a lot of stuff, but all of it gently...brush, floss, pik, GUMS, etc...trying to keep as many chompers as i can...

I am generally not great about flossing - I usually make a more concerted effort as it comes closer to my next dentist's appointment. I have had permanent retainers behind my top and bottom front teeth for almost 30 years, and my dentist has encouraged me to get a WaterPik as it is not easy to floss around these. I think she is generally an advocate of this, but particularly for my situation.

I also wanted to note that I find it amusing that this thread about flossing is frequently adjacent to "The Longest Thread Ever."

ricks, thanks for chiming in.

Is it overkill what I'm doing right now? Waterflossing, brushing with the Oral B Professional 1000 at night; string flossing, brushing again in the morning.

The last thing I want is to erode the gums further; I'm trying to prevent more erosion. I use a light touch with the toothbrush, but I can definitely feel it with its "3D action."

Is it too much to waterfloss at night and string floss in the morning, or do you think that would that be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ricks, thanks for chiming in.

Is it overkill what I'm doing right now? Waterflossing, brushing with the Oral B Professional 1000 at night; string flossing, brushing again in the morning.

The last thing I want is to erode the gums further; I'm trying to prevent more erosion. I use a light touch with the toothbrush, but I can definitely feel it with its "3D action."

Is it too much to waterfloss at night and string floss in the morning, or do you think that would that be OK?
    Sounds like you are doing good. The key is to keep doing what you are doing correctly. The "correctly" part is much more important than frequency. Brushing correctly (like good old fashioned modified Bass technique) will take care of the tops and front and back of the teeth. The floss will take care of in between. All the rest us superfluous, including gum stimulation. The plaque and calculus presence is what you want to get rid of every day. That's it. It anyone wants details and a logical explanation of this, feel free to ask---just be patient waiting for answers as I have quite a bit on my plate right now.

ricks

I have quite a bit on my plate right now.

ricks

Did OPK and DIK fix you up with 'taters and gravy?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Did OPK and DIK fix you up with 'taters and gravy?
    Please, no clues. I want to start watching that Ozarks show and don't want to know what's been going on so far. Thanks.

ricks

Just went in for my regular checkup/cleaning yesterday. Asked my dentist his opinion of waterflossing. He said that waterflossing generally gets about 80% of what proper regular flossing does. So, if someone is flat-out not going to use dental floss, then waterflossing is a good option b/c it will get at least 80% of the gunk out. But he says it doesn't get the "fine film" out that proper regular flossing does. He also added that it is an excellent tool for people with arthritis who simply cannot handle dental floss.