Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke commit Erica Shepherd wins (controversial) jr national golf championship

Erica Shepard is the number one ranked junior golfer in the US and a Duke commit. Shepard won the junior national but her semifinal was marred with controversy. Shepherd and Elizabeth Moon were playing for a spot in the U.S. Girls’ Junior finals at the Boone Valley Golf Club in Augusta, Mo. The head-to-head match had gone to extra holes, and on the 19th hole, Shepherd made par and Moon had a birdie putt to advance. Moon missed the putt and left 4 inches for par to extend the match. Typically in match play, short putts are conceded by the opponent. That's where the problem began. Shepard couldn't bear to watch Moon's birdie putt so she closed her eyes. She didn't see how close the par putt was and didn't concede it. Moon picked up, assuming the concession. Shepard opened her eyes seeing moon picking up the ball and told Moon that she had not conceded. Rules dictate a 2 stroke penalty. Shepard wins on the rules violation. Many people were not happy about it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bizarre-rul...012400603.html
    http://golfweek.com/2017/07/29/erica...-girls-junior/

You know what they say about "assume".

Would it have mattered if she had not said "I didn't say that was good" ?
    In other words, would it still be a violation of the rules to pick up the putt without affirmative concession from the waiting player?
    From the stories it looked like Erica tried to take back what she pointed out, but I wonder if it still would be a rules violation if she hadn't pointed it out. Moon did act very quickly, it appeared. Not sure Erica should feel guilty or bad, though it sounds like she took a lot of heat. Not sure if that was because she pointed out that she hadn't (yet) granted the concession, or that she wasn't ready to grant it immediately, before Moon drew the ball back.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    In other words, would it still be a violation of the rules to pick up the putt without affirmative concession from the waiting player?
    From the stories it looked like Erica tried to take back what she pointed out, but I wonder if it still would be a rules violation if she hadn't pointed it out. Moon did act very quickly, it appeared. Not sure Erica should feel guilty or bad, though it sounds like she took a lot of heat. Not sure if that was because she pointed out that she hadn't (yet) granted the concession, or that she wasn't ready to grant it immediately, before Moon drew the ball back.
    It's a four-inch putt. Make it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

"Would it have mattered if she had not said "I didn't say that was good" ?"

Yes. In match play if you "assume" your opponent is giving it to you but have heard it's good, you ask. She should've just putted out, then no issue.
    I'm not saying I like how it played out, but never assume...

She could've just tapped it in, unless her opponent hadn't finished the hole and was further away. Such is match-play golf.

It is a Rules Violation

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Per the rules in match play, you cannot pick up a put without a clear (unambiguous) concession from your opponent. Also assume there are other witnesses to lack of concession present e.g. officials, caddies, scorekeepers.

I'd have to know what the culture is in this level of women's golf for four inch putts to pass judgement, but it was a heck of a way for the match to be decided and cheated the fans of another hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    I'd have to know what the culture is in this level of women's golf for four inch putts to pass judgement, but it was a heck of a way for the match to be decided and cheated the fans of another hole.
    No, no one was cheated. The match ended by one participant breaking the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not to lay it on too heavy on a 16 or 17 YO, but Elizabeth Moon basically choked. There are two moves after leaving the ball close to the hole (sez I, who just plays in the occasional club event) -- tap it in or look directly at the opponent and hesitate until there is a word or signal.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

By the letter of the law, clearly a rules violation. By the spirit of match play she shouldn't have said anything and just moved on, especially after her opponent just gave her a longer putt and she said she was planning to give her the putt anyway.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No, the match ended by one person being a jerk. I would not want to win that way. I would not take a win that way. Obviously, so obviously, your mileage is different.

Calling Rules Violation

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    No, the match ended by one person being a jerk. I would not want to win that way. I would not take a win that way. Obviously, so obviously, your mileage is different.
    Golf is based on the honor system that means if you commit an infraction, you are obligated to self report. If you are not aware, another individuals observing can point out the infraction. Calling it out is not limited to your opponent. Others within hearing range would have the obligation to point out the infraction to officials, or maybe the officials would have called it. Looking the other way when infractions are committed would destroy the credibility of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    Golf is based on the honor system that means if you commit an infraction, you are obligated to self report. If you are not aware, another individuals observing can point out the infraction. Calling it out is not limited to your opponent. Others within hearing range would have the obligation to point out the infraction to officials, or maybe the officials would have called it. Looking the other way when infractions are committed would destroy the credibility of the game.
    Is this an infraction of the written rules or just a misunderstanding of a "gentleman's agreement" that exists outside the rulebook? I'm not familiar with the rules but to call it an 'infraction' seems misapplied.

Honestly, watching the replay made me cringe. It seemed against the spirit of match play. Had that happened during the women's NCAA championship the act would be the topic of every talking head out there.

It's unfortunate that it happened that way, but she did regroup and win the championship round against a young lady that hadn't trailed the entire tournament. So congratulations to her. Hopefully something like this never happens to her again.

USGA Rules of Golf Call for a 1 Stroke Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Is this an infraction of the written rules or just a misunderstanding of a "gentleman's agreement" that exists outside the rulebook? I'm not familiar with the rules but to call it an 'infraction' seems misapplied.
    2-4. Concession of Match, Hole or Next Stroke
    A player may concede his opponent's next stroke at any time, provided the opponent's ball is at rest. The opponent is considered to have holed out with his next stroke, and the ball may be removed by either side.

2-4/3 (Decisions) Player Lifts Ball in Mistaken Belief That Next Stroke Conceded
    Q.In a match between A and B, B made a statement which A interpreted to mean that his (A's) next stroke was conceded. Accordingly, A lifted his ball. B then said that he had not conceded A's next stroke. What is the ruling?
    A.If B's statement could reasonably have led A to think his next stroke had been conceded, in equity (Rule 1-4), A should replace his ball as near as possible to where it lay, without penalty.
    Otherwise, A would incur a penalty stroke for lifting his ball without marking its position - Rule 20-1 - and he must replace his ball as near as possible to where it lay.

20-1. Lifting and Marking
    A ball to be lifted under the Rules may be lifted by the player, his partner or another person authorized by the player. In any such case, the player is responsible for any breach of the Rules.
    The position of the ball must be marked before it is lifted under a Rule that requires it to be replaced. If it is not marked, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke and the ball must be replaced.

My daughter played golf in High school. Her friend did a similar thing and admitted it herself, took the penalty. She cried a lot and moved on.
    That's golf!
    Erica did nothing wrong. There is nothing to discuss here.
    welcome to Duke Erica!!
    My eldest lived on campus with a Duke golfer. Ladies golf was my second favorite Duke sport because of that.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Before I make a comment on this thread, I need to know if Ms. Moon is a Tarheel recruit? A Tarheel fan? Is anyone in her family associated with the Tarheels or perhaps employeed by the Tarheels?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Before I make a comment on this thread, I need to know if Ms. Moon is a Tarheel recruit? A Tarheel fan? Is anyone in her family associated with the Tarheels or perhaps employeed by the Tarheels?
    😂😊😋😎

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    I don't think Shepard wanted to win that way, either. BUT, she HAS to point out the error to her opponent lest Moon makes the same mistake again on ensuing holes. You just can't have your opponent picking up balls that you haven't decided whether or not to concede yet.

If there's any blame here to assign (and there might not be), it'd be to the strict rules of golf for ending the match right there (and, of course, to Moon for picking up the ball). The way I see it, if both players wanted to continue to play to decide the winner on pure golfing skills, they should be allowed to.

Lol

Wonder what this board would say if Erica Shepard was a Tar Heel...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club