Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Tom Petty tells me that the waiting is the hardest part.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    It's over. They brought the hearings to a close after 15 hours.

Edit: they also pointed out that with the 2011 UNC hearing it took 136 days for COI to rule.
    It doesn't sound like the NCAA was interested in the mountain of documentation the cheats brought if they sent them packing after only 15 hours...

I see that Jan Boxill was there, hugging and being hugged by everyone in sight. What do you have to do to be ostracized? (Maybe Jay Smith could tell us.)

Edit: they also pointed out that with the 2011 UNC hearing it took 136 days for COI to rule.
    "...citing NCAA rules that prohibit commenting about the details of an NCAA investigation."

Ha! Never stopped them before.

Thanks for the update. I'm unable to fathom if this is good news for the "punish them severely" folks or good news for the cheats.

I bought extra popcorn and pretzels, even if it takes another 4+ months.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    Tom Petty tells me that the waiting is the hardest part.
    Tom Waits tells me that I should never trust a man in a blue trench coat, and never drive a car when I'm dead.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm unable to fathom if this is good news for the "punish them severely" folks or good news for the cheats.
    Sounds like it was a "sit down, shut up and listen" session.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Sounds like it was a "sit down, shut up and listen" session.
    One can only hope...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

If Bubba&Roy etc remain quiet despite gag order can we take it is as bad news? If they were feeling good I just don't think they can shut up..Bubba has proven that.

Meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    If Bubba&Roy etc remain quiet despite gag order can we take it is as bad news? If they were feeling good I just don't think they can shut up..Bubba has proven that.
    So, from our perspective, no news is good news? I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    So, from our perspective, no news is good news? I like that.
    Not sure we can draw any conclusion. Even if you thought it went "well," however they define that, until the final decision comes down all they are doing is hoping.

Or maybe the NCAA told them to shut the --bleep-- up once and for all, or they would add a sixth level 1 violation.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Or maybe the NCAA told them to shut the --bleep-- up once and for all, or they would add a sixth level 1 violation.
    I like that even better..

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tom Waits tells me that I should never trust a man in a blue trench coat, and never drive a car when I'm dead.
    ...And don't mess around with Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...And don't mess around with Jim.
    God bless their crooked little hearts.

pat.jpg

i'm worried about the damage that this ruling will have on the heel faithful...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

We've obviously discussed the possible punishment in great lengths. What confidence I have is that if the NCAA does not hit them they might as well close their doors. As others have stated it tells the other schools to go ahead & cheat to your heart is content..

I was thinking today what would I be content with punishment wise. Not what they deserve. Not what I want them to receive...hello death penalty & forfeiture of wins back to 1988.

The 2005 banner coming down & two years no post season. It is not enough but I could live with it.

The 2005 banner coming down & two years no post season. It is not enough but I could live with it.
    No death penalty, no justice!

We've obviously discussed the possible punishment in great lengths. What confidence I have is that if the NCAA does not hit them they might as well close their doors. As others have stated it tells the other schools to go ahead & cheat to your heart is content..

I was thinking today what would I be content with punishment wise. Not what they deserve. Not what I want them to receive...hello death penalty & forfeiture of wins back to 1988.

Agreed. It's not enough, but I could live with it vs. what the alternative could be. I think a two-year ban, combined with the physical act of having to take down a banner would be devastating. I couldn't care less about the wins, that's just a number that has to be looked up. But banners hang for all to see, so to have one missing would be satisfying.

If they are like me, my life revolves around college hoops in the fall/winter. I look forward to the next Duke game like I look forward to payday. To have that missing for two consecutive years would be heart-breaking. Much more damaging than taking away wins.

It is understandable that we focus on Men's bball, but I think other sports will bear the brunt of the sanctions.

Thing is, it is easiest for the COI to identify games in which an ineligible player participated with basketball, so it should be easy for the COI to take away specific wins and titles from the two basketball programs.

There virtually HAS to be a finding of lack of institutional control - ironic in that there was loads of institutional control - it just was egregiously IMPROPER institutional control. Which yields the prospective sanctions.

How does the COI allow any victory to stand in which an athlete participated whose eligibility was based upon the benefit of a fraudulent class?

I'm fully in the camp that everything the NCAA has done to this point has signaled that they aren't going to punish UNC significantly. Those expecting banners to come down are going to be sorely disappointed.

I fully agree that the NCAA should care about this, especially with all the PR they spew about all their athletes getting good educations through sport. At the end of the day, though, major sports organizations always end up caring more about the money than anything else.

Ironically, the NCAA's consistent inconsistency when it comes to enforcing the rules will allow the NCAA to get away with letting UNC get away with it. Most college sports fans will shrug and move on after a week or two of griping.