Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I will not give specifics since I can't prove it but I had on my summer staff back in the 80's diehard UNC fans that were attending UNC & they talked about shady academics for the basketball team then. Papers being written for players.
    The 80's were special times for benefits to scholar-athletes. I had a summer job back in '83, writing code at a Durham company owned by a UNC grad and supporter. One of the Carolina players also had a job at the company that summer, doing odd jobs around the building. My supervisor (a diehard Wolfpacker) told me he was making more for emptying wastebaskets than I was for programming computers.

Drove a pretty nice car, too.

Sorry if this has been addressed already . ...

but - the NCAA seems to have said that it would like to have charged another violation when Bubba went off blabbing about confidential information. They refrained because it would have restarted the clock.

UNCheat appears to be snubbing their nose at the NCAA again.

I have seen no discussion or reaction to the cheaters publishing the NCAA letters that include the names of the panel members and the date and location of the hearing, all of which the letter emphasizes are confidential. Yet another violation?

Is this blatant disregard another attempt at delay, stupidity, an open government State law, or ?????

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    Drove a pretty nice car, too.

Yes they mentioned a deal with a local car dealer as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted, but I have been following the discourse closely on this topic.

My question, and it was raised in today's article, is suppose the NCAA acts finally, finding LOIC (how can they not), but not dropping an LOIC-type Hammer of Thor. How does the rest of the ACC (or other P5 schools) react (not the fans, but the coaches, ADs, and presidents)?

Personally, I would find it disheartening if Duke stood by and said nothing. I understand that commenting prior to any NCAA action is improper, but I don't recall any of Duke's leadership ever coming out affirmatively about how Duke maintains control to assure that its "revenue" student athletes are given the opportunity to be students. There is enough anecdotal evidence of that, but even Rashad McCants made Dean's List.

Thoughts?
    How would you characterize the "LOIC-type Hammer of Thor" in terms of penalties?

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    but - the NCAA seems to have said that it would like to have charged another violation when Bubba went off blabbing about confidential information. They refrained because it would have restarted the clock.

UNCheat appears to be snubbing their nose at the NCAA again.

I have seen no discussion or reaction to the cheaters publishing the NCAA letters that include the names of the panel members and the date and location of the hearing, all of which the letter emphasizes are confidential. Yet another violation?

Is this blatant disregard another attempt at delay, stupidity, an open government State law, or ?????
    I've wondered whether Bubba was deliberately trying to restart the clock. If not, he made a foolish mistake. He's the AD, for goodness sake. He, of all people, should know and follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I've wondered whether Bubba was deliberately trying to restart the clock. If not, he made a foolish mistake. He's the AD, for goodness sake. He, of all people, should know and follow the rules.
    I hate to bring my skepticism learned in business to this matter, but, as far as Bubba, Roy and Carol Folt are concerned, I would look at their employment agreements, bonus plans and retirement plans or provisions as a way to understand their behavior and public statements.

Anyway, Roy Williams turned 67 today -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY!!!

Carol Folt is 66. Bubba Cunningham is only 49.

Williams and Folt are probably being governed by their exit arrangements. Cunningham will want to maintain his viability in the AD profession, as he can expect to work until his 70's.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'I am seriously wishing happy birthday to Ol' Roy -- everyone deserves at least one good day a year'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    SNIP

Williams and Folt are probably being governed by their exit arrangements. Cunningham will want to maintain his viability in the AD profession, as he can expect to work until his 70's.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'I am seriously wishing happy birthday to Ol' Roy -- everyone deserves at least one good day a year'
    Asked in sincerity, do you think Bubba shamelessly and publicly violating the NCAA rules at this stage is beneficial to his viability in the AD profession? Would that be to show his current and/or possible future employers that he's willing to put it all on the line, shrugging off any encumbrance of regulation? Or perhaps he's auditioning for the next 2-3 decades, when there is no such organization as the NCAA and rules don't apply.

I hate to bring my skepticism learned in business to this matter, but, as far as Bubba, Roy and Carol Folt are concerned, I would look at their employment agreements, bonus plans and retirement plans or provisions as a way to understand their behavior and public statements.

Anyway, Roy Williams turned 67 today -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY!!!

Carol Folt is 66. Bubba Cunningham is only 49.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    He already had a very good day this year so I hope he gets heartburn and indigestion from his Birthday cake. Btw that cake is going to be full of germs by the time he blows out 67 candles. I'd need a hazmat suit to go near it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Btw that cake is going to be full of germs by the time he blows out 67 candles. I'd need a hazmat suit to go near it.
    Ease up there, youngun. 😡😠😎

Roy Williams and Jerry Garcia apparently have the same birthday.

Ying, Yang.

Agreed

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Asked in sincerity, do you think Bubba shamelessly and publicly violating the NCAA rules at this stage is beneficial to his viability in the AD profession? Would that be to show his current and/or possible future employers that he's willing to put it all on the line, shrugging off any encumbrance of regulation? Or perhaps he's auditioning for the next 2-3 decades, when there is no such organization as the NCAA and rules don't apply.
    Yeah, English, I don't know. I'd have to sort it out. Bubba arrived on the scene in the fall of 2011, after Butch Davis was invited to leave. Isn't he after the worst of the Wainstein Report findings? I think he would be judged as a guy who went all out to defend his institution; I am not sure if the violations occurred on his watch.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yeah, English, I don't know. I'd have to sort it out. Bubba arrived on the scene in the fall of 2011, after Butch Davis was invited to leave. Isn't he after the worst of the Wainstein Report findings? I think he would be judged as a guy who went all out to defend his institution; I am not sure if the violations occurred on his watch.
    For all we know, violations are septillion's occurring on his watch. Bubbas don't care bout no rules.

His recent comments are the violations English was referring to, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    For all we know, violations are septillion's occurring on his watch. Bubbas don't care bout no rules.
    Thanks auto correct. Replace septillion's with "still occurring".

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Thanks auto correct. Replace septillion's with "still occurring".
    I guess you're right. They've had a lot of violations occurring but probably not that many
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A few twitter bits from A Poisoned Ivy/Cheating Blue Ram:

"A Poisoned Ivy Retweeted A Poisoned Ivy
    COI is in complete control and they obviously aren't happy with the gamesmanship."

"COI members can ask all the questions they want for two days. UNC has to ask permission to ask a question. That request can be denied."

"Apologists should be concerned about that salvo launched at Bubba & Crowder's lawyer in the NCAA's response."

More here:

https://twitter.com/CheatingBlueRam
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I guess you're right. They've had a lot of violations occurring but probably not that many
    Actually, with AI on the rise, maybe Mr (or Ms.) Autocorrect knows more than we realize. UNCheat and septillion violations - distinct possibility over 2-3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Right now there isn't an allegation of ineligible team members playing in any games from the 2016-2017 season. While I think any rational person would look suspiciously at UNC (with their record, it's reasonable to assume there is something dirty going on over there), the legitimacy of the 2017 natty is not currently being questioned. 1993, 2005, and 2009 are clearly championships won with ineligible players and should be forfeited. The only questions, for me, are (1) will the NCAA enforce their own rules fairly and take down all 3 of those banners, and (2) will we find out in the near future that UNC has continued to cheat.

What OPK said. And he's dead right about where to hang that banner.
    ^^^^THIS:

There is no way to calculate how those fraudulent championships benefitted UNC right up to their last title they shouldn't have been eligible to play for. There is also no way to calculate what schools and players lost out on due to 18+ years of cheating. Ya' think members of Illinois 05 squad hate knowing they shouldn't have ever faced UNC in the NCAAT?

Yes, many if not most of the top recruits seem to head where they can get to the NBA the quickest. But those championship and jersey banners hanging in the rafters no doubt influenced more than a few recruits. My UNC fan friends say they saw the games, even without the banners they know who won and you can't revise history. Perhaps, but I'd like to see a long future ban from play even if they aren't still cheating and even if current players had nothing to do with the scandal. Prevent UNC from future success to make up for their fraudulent past success.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    His recent comments are the violations English was referring to, I believe.
    The stern rebuke from the enforcement staff and threat of another violation? I don't know if fanaticism in defense of the UNC program would hurt him at other schools. I suppose Notre Dame might eventually consider him -- he has two degrees from Notre Dame and worked in the athletic department there for 17 years.

Of course, If UNC gets hammered and even if all violations occurred before Bubba arrived, the "atmospherics" (i.e., "stench," or "miasma") may preclude his going elsewhere -- even to his alma mater.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 08-01-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Sage Grouse