Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UNC Athletics Scandal: NCAA response

The NCAA's response has been released by UNC.

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/un...ords-requests/

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't know what this means, but there's no way that's a good sign for the CHeats.
    I dunno. Maybe they just want to tell them in person what a great job they've done, keeping their programs clean and all. You know, a laurel and a hearty handshake kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I dunno. Maybe they just want to tell them in person what a great job they've done, keeping their programs clean and all. You know, a laurel and a hearty handshake kind of thing.
    Abbot and Costello can appear, too, along with a couple other Marx.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The NCAA's response has been released by UNC.

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/un...ords-requests/
    Wow. Initial reading of this document looks encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Wow. Initial reading of this document looks encouraging.
    If you don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to figure out what will happen next, just read pages 2 and 3 of this document. It's pretty clear the COI and the enforcement staff have packed their bag of hammers for this upcoming meeting.

This hearing will take place in Cheekwood ABC meeting rooms at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center, 2800 Opryland
    Drive, Nashville, Tennessee 37214
    . The panel has set aside two full days for this hearing.
    NCAA infractions hearings are closed to the public, and the information discussed during
    these hearings is considered confidential, as is the date, time and location of the hearing.

I'm confused as to whether or not we should know when and where this is taking place on the 16th... Sounds like it should have been redacted before being published? Or am I reading that last sentence wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    This hearing will take place in Cheekwood ABC meeting rooms at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center, 2800 Opryland
    Drive, Nashville, Tennessee 37214
    . The panel has set aside two full days for this hearing.
    NCAA infractions hearings are closed to the public, and the information discussed during
    these hearings is considered confidential, as is the date, time and location of the hearing.

I'm confused as to whether or not we should know when and where this is taking place on the 16th... Sounds like it should have been redacted before being published? Or am I reading that last sentence wrong?
    Probably just another sad attempt to get a delay introduced while they identify a new secret location.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    This hearing will take place in Cheekwood ABC meeting rooms at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center

That is absolutely the perfect location for this meeting to take place. ABC, baby!

The NewsObserver let fanboy Andrew Carter write the first article.

He does the usual backflips to try to justify the UNC position and tries once again to make it out like the NCAA has been torturing the poor tarheels by delaying the conclusion of the case.

I expect they will have the Dan Kane version out later this week after he digs through all the new material.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Good Lord...the level of denial and self-delusion is staggering!

Wow

The opening is marvelous:

It is important to be clear what this case is about. This case is about facts that are almost entirely undisputed. It is about straightforward application of those facts to well-known bylaws adopted by NCAA members. The bylaws at issue speak very clearly to benefits, which are and are not available to student-athletes, and to an institution's responsibility for controlling its athletics program. While the interests surrounding this case may be broad and complicated, the narrow issues before this hearing panel of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions are decidedly unique to the NCAA. Put simply, student-athletes received access to and assistance in certain courses that was not generally available to other students. The arrangements violated familiar NCAA bylaws and operated to the competitive disadvantage of other schools.

This is beautifully written -- to the point, punchy, and devastating. Bravo, NCAA staff.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

The illiterate wankers wankering it up.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The illiterate wankers wankering it up.
    Yeah the level of discourse is representative of their scandal.

Although it was referenced before, my favorite part is actually from the UCC press release:

“The NCAA has requested certain individuals from the University attend the proceedings. It is standard practice for the current head coaches of programs referenced in a notice of allegations to attend. Therefore, Coaches Larry Fedora (football), Sylvia Hatchell (women’s basketball) and Roy Williams (men’s basketball) will accompany University representatives to the hearing.”
    Heh. Wonder if they will testify.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Although it was referenced before, my favorite part is actually from the UCC press release:

Heh. Wonder if they will testify.
    That conjures up an amusing image in my mind. The enforcement staff is detailing the absolute lack of institutional control, and how the scheme benefitted the various programs, including men's basketball, by allowing players to easily maintain eligibility. ol' roy reaches his breaking point and begins to stand up to set them straight, and three University lawyers immediately tackle him, stuffing his ugly blue tie into his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That conjures up an amusing image in my mind. The enforcement staff is detailing the absolute lack of institutional control, and how the scheme benefitted the various programs, including men's basketball, by allowing players to easily maintain eligibility. ol' roy reaches his breaking point and begins to stand up to set them straight, and three University lawyers immediately tackle him, stuffing his ugly blue tie into his mouth.
    That would be a good gif.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    The NewsObserver let fanboy Andrew Carter write the first article.

He does the usual backflips to try to justify the UNC position and tries once again to make it out like the NCAA has been torturing the poor tarheels by delaying the conclusion of the case.

I expect they will have the Dan Kane version out later this week after he digs through all the new material.
    At least they didn't let fanboy Jay Bilas write the first article.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    At least they didn't let fanboy Jay Bilas write the first article.
    Amen to that!

Looking forward to Dan Kane's take.

^ yeah, I have only skimmed it briefly but it sounds like they are calling UNC out on all their BS and refuting the school's attempts at getting various charges thrown out.