Page 8 of 204 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneBanksManCrush View Post
    I'm holding out for Larry Johnson's kid.
    Grand-son-son.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Although Johnny played the point his Freshman year, I don't think of Johnny as a PG. He really seemed to be a prototypical college SG. He could slash, spot up and play incredible D.

Am I wrong in that belief?
    Amaker had 708 assists at Duke, Dawkins had 550. Amaker is third all-time at Duke, Dawkins sixth. If Dawkins had had Dawkins to pass to...
    Last edited by killerleft; 12-04-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Interested to see if cole anthony will reclassifie he turns 18 in may. Rj barrett doesn't turn 18 till june.

Quote Originally Posted by olegreg View Post
    Interested to see if cole anthony will reclassifie he turns 18 in may. Rj barrett doesn't turn 18 till june.
    If he does reclassify, he ain't going to Duke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If he does reclassify, he ain't going to Duke.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    His father is former UNLV great Greg Anthony.
    He lives with his mom in NYC who is re-married to the Global Head of Corporate and Investment Banking at Citi. That probably doesn't matter much on the basketball court but he clearly is not lacking for opportunities. Sounds a lot like a Duke kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He lives with his mom in NYC who is re-married to the Global Head of Corporate and Investment Banking at Citi. That probably doesn't matter much on the basketball court but he clearly is not lacking for opportunities. Sounds a lot like a Duke kid.
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but from what you posted, it sounds like rich kids are perceived as "Duke kids?"

I thought a "Duke kid" is a player, regardless of socioeconomic background, who gets it done in the classroom as well on the court, and shows a high level of character. Not saying Greg's son doesn't have those qualities, and we do have a history of getting commitments from sons of former professional athletes, but wasn't Jayson Tatum (single mom, low income) just as much of a Duke kid as Grant Hill (NFL dad)?

He'll have teammates, managers, classmates at Duke hitting him up for summer internship opportunities at Citi.

Or he could go to unc and jump into a pool from a balcony ...

How does that make him a Duke kid??

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but from what you posted, it sounds like rich kids are perceived as "Duke kids?"

I thought a "Duke kid" is a player, regardless of socioeconomic background, who gets it done in the classroom as well on the court, and shows a high level of character. Not saying Greg's son doesn't have those qualities, and we do have a history of getting commitments from sons of former professional athletes, but wasn't Jayson Tatum (single mom, low income) just as much of a Duke kid as Grant Hill (NFL dad)?
    We have historically gotten commitments from kids for whom academics are a top priority - the Duke education is a top selling point and differentiator. I assumed that in order to reach his position, his step-father was highly educated - I double checked and he is - triple Harvard. People with those backgrounds typically (but not always) want the same for their children. Going back a ways, I think Trajan Langdon's parents, who were also highly educated but not necessarily rich (his dad was a professor) are another great example. There are plenty of great Duke student-athletes whose parents didn't go to Duke-caliber schools but still strongly emphasized education and again, Duke's academics were a big selling point for them too - they are also "Duke kids."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gold 89 View Post
    How does that make him a Duke kid??
    LOL, you guys are so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

I didn't make the initial statement, but I don't think it's a controversial statement to say a lot of kids at Duke come from affluent families with parents and/or step-parents in positions of esteem who afford many opportunities to their spawn.

Your second statement, WRT Duke basketball players, is certainly true. Jayson is a wonderful ambassador of Duke, irrespective of his socioeconomic background. He's certainly destined for the 1% now. That doesn't make the OP's point insensitive or inaccurate. The stepson of an I-banking executive would fit right in at Duke, whether that means kids at Duke are perceived as rich kids or not.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I didn't make the initial statement, but I don't think it's a controversial statement to say a lot of kids at Duke come from affluent families with parents and/or step-parents in positions of esteem who afford many opportunities to their spawn.

Your second statement, WRT Duke basketball players, is certainly true. Jayson is a wonderful ambassador of Duke, irrespective of his socioeconomic background. He's certainly destined for the 1% now. That doesn't make the OP's point insensitive or inaccurate. The stepson of an I-banking executive would fit right in at Duke, whether that means kids at Duke are perceived as rich kids or not.
    I didn't mean it as a criticism of the poster. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And yes, it's true that probably a higher proportion of Duke players come from wealthier families than most other schools. There is probably a decent correlation between kids who come from higher income families and kids who do better in school. I just wanted to express my opinion that I don't believe "rich kid" equates to "Duke kid," and to generate discussion about what the "Duke kid" label actually means.

Jayson Tatum was maybe THE prototypical Duke kid. He's hard working, humble, excellent in the classroom, plays hard, and is emotionally and mentally mature far beyond his age. IMO, money should have no impact on whether a kid is perceived as a Duke kid or not. At least personally, I like to hold that term to a higher standard.
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.

We have historically gotten commitments from kids for whom academics are a top priority - the Duke education is a top selling point and differentiator. I assumed that in order to reach his position, his step-father was highly educated - I double checked and he is - triple Harvard. People with those backgrounds typically (but not always) want the same for their children. Going back a ways, I think Trajan Langdon's parents, who were also highly educated but not necessarily rich (his dad was a professor) are another great example. There are plenty of great Duke student-athletes whose parents didn't go to Duke-caliber schools but still strongly emphasized education and again, Duke's academics were a big selling point for them too - they are also "Duke kids."
    You have no idea whatsoever if he is a "Duke kid" or not. But you are arguing that rich kids are likely to be Duke kids, while poor or middle-class kids are not.

I believe that any kid from any socioeconomic background anywhere in the world has what it takes to be a great student-athlete at my alma mater.

You have no idea whatsoever if he is a "Duke kid" or not. But you are arguing that rich kids are likely to be Duke kids, while poor or middle-class kids are not.

I believe that any kid from any socioeconomic background anywhere in the world has what it takes to be a great student-athlete at my alma mater.
    Is your alma mater Duke or is it Wake Forest(old gold) or another school? GoDuke!

It seems like Duke does better in recruitment of players whose parents are highly educated or who themselves have exhibited real interest in academics. Typically, but not always, these two things go together.

We don't disagree with the statement in your second paragraph, but the direction of causation is not the same. It's not just who will do well as a student-athlete, but who will choose our school (Duke) in the first place.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I agree with you. But this coming from a poster with the name, "Old Gold" just doesn't feel right...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'm sorry, but you clearly did not read my response to your response. I did not correlate rich to Duke kid. I correlated "one who values education" to Duke kid. I was also correlating "child of former professional athlete" to Duke kid as we have a strong history of recruiting those types of players also. Recruiting is very much an exercise in marketing and differentiating your school from others (such as Kentucky and Kansas).

Clearly I touched a nerve here with some people. I apologize for unintentionally derailing this conversation. Let's return to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm sorry, but you clearly did not read my response to your response. I did not correlate rich to Duke kid. I correlated "one who values education" to Duke kid. I was also correlating "child of former professional athlete" to Duke kid as we have a strong history of recruiting those types of players also. Recruiting is very much an exercise in marketing and differentiating your school from others (such as Kentucky and Kansas).

Clearly I touched a nerve here with some people. I apologize for unintentionally derailing this conversation. Let's return to our regularly scheduled programming.
    It's my fault, not yours. Derailing recruiting threads is basically what I do. And for the record, I wasn't offended by your post, I just wanted to raise a question and engage others in discussion, because it is an interesting topic.

Can we get a separate thread on what we think a "Duke Kid" qualifies as?? Also i want to know more about carolina kids jumping off balconies into a pool??